330     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 575     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all his antics Ford is actually is doing a better job of running the city than David Miller did (what is Miller's big legacy? A subway to Vaughan?).

Not intentionally as well- if Ford had been able to follow through with his election promises, this city would be broken for a long time. But for now finances are mostly status-quo (no unreasonable, damaging cuts so far) and transit is back to the forefront as a major issue- Transit City has had its flaws, and a subway-LRT mix will seriously be considered.

It might also be beneficial if Ford's actions also spurred action to deal with soft-corruption; aka the skirting of the laws. We need to deal with things like out-of-season campaigning.

This is how I feel about this matter as well. I can't see how Ford has actually harmed the city. For all his antics Ford is actually is doing a better job of running the city than David Miller did (what is Miller's big legacy? A subway to Vaughan?).

For the local media Rob Ford has been a bonanza. Readership is up and with it ad revenue. Ford's notoriety has also help put Toronto on the map and you can't underestimate the value of such publicity.

You missed the part where David Miller brought Toronto into adulthood with a lot more independence from the Province with the City of Toronto Act and raised all of the current transit funding and the part where Rob Ford set us back on transit and just about everything else and blew nearly all that transit funding on 3 subway stops where they weren't needed.

This is how I feel about this matter as well. I can't see how Ford has actually harmed the city. For all his antics Ford is actually is doing a better job of running the city than David Miller did (what is Miller's big legacy? A subway to Vaughan?).
That legacy should be shame for allowing a subway into Vaughan regardless that the liberals were funding it. He should have refused

http://www.artizans.com/cartoon/f/Rob_Ford.html

work ford.jpg

ford buddy investigations.jpg

ford friends.jpg

Attachments

• work ford.jpg
    work ford.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 381
  • ford buddy investigations.jpg
    ford buddy investigations.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 374
  • ford friends.jpg
    ford friends.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 393

For the local media Rob Ford has been a bonanza. Readership is up and with it ad revenue. Ford's notoriety has also help put Toronto on the map and you can't underestimate the value of such publicity.

This is just such a ridiculous post on so many levels, and I'm not going to waste time rebutting every point--except to say they are all pretty much the opposite of reality. Decades from now David Miller will be regarded as one of the best and most important Mayors we have had, while Rob Ford will be long dead, and remembered only for the damage, shame and notoriety he brought to this city.

Last edited:

What is Ford's legacy?

What is Ford's legacy?

-Flat-lined the budget saving Toronto $Billions in the years to come.

-Extending the Subway into Scarborough (instead of Vaughan!)

-Eliminated the Vehicle registration fee saving taxpayers $Millions

-Eliminated the 5 cent plastic bag fee (although most retailers are still charging the fee :mad: )

-Increased Toronto's profile worldwide through media coverage of his antics (outside of Canada he is the most famous Canadian politician of all time! )

These are just a few things that I can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited:

ummm... no. Ford's wasted more money on transit cancellation &/or overbuild than he's saved on anything else, to start.

and the 'subway to Vaughan' was paid for by Vaughan. That's a subway to York U and, if Mammo & Ford would just shut up, a connection along Finch to the college. To serve the most-likely-to-take-transit group in the city.

Peepers, you can do better than this list, unless of course you're being sarcastic.

Ford's flat lined the gross budget, which as others have shown, isn't that impressive.

-Extending the Subway into Scarborough (instead of Vaughan!)

Was this really Ford? Seems more like Ford shouted Subways a lot, and Stintz pushed this plan forward.

-Eliminated the Vehicle registration fee saving taxpayers $Millions

Wow, Ford provided incentives to motorists, thereby worsening traffic, also this cost the city money. For what, to give motorists a break?

-Eliminated the 5 cent plastic bag fee (although most retailers are still charging the fee :mad: )

I'm not sure who this helps. $0.05/bag is not expensive. 365 x $0.05 = $18.25 a year assuming one bag a day. Or I could just use a re-usable bag, and pay nothing. Yes Ford is a master of saving me money.

-Increased Toronto's profile worldwide through media coverage of his antics (outside of Canada he is the most famous Canadian politician of all time! )

Well, I'll give you this one.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the garbage contract, or the TTC essential service status.

Where do you come up with fiction like that?

Sure, there have been some reductions for one year - and corresponding service cuts. But flatline???

I'm not sure how Rob Ford gets any credit for breaking his promise of no service cuts ...

Budget-wise, the only major win Ford has had is the garbage contract. But even this may be an illusion. They saved money because of this extraordinary low bid from Green for Life (GFL). The same GFL which has a reputation for bidding low, and then suing after to make up for lost revenue ... which the demonstrated again recently - http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...over_aquatic_centre_construction_contact.html

I'm not sure what the problem with him using letterhead for references is? Obviously, the references themselves are a problem considering who he's writing them for...but if he's giving a reference, wouldn't you expect it to be on official letterhead?

I would imagine it's is related to liability. If the City of Toronto (through Ford) endorses someone who then goes on to commit a crime, is it not possible that,depending on the circumstances, the city could be found liable? I think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back