132     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 585     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 863     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mayor Ford will present the comedy superstars with a special gift to mark their visit," the press release stated.

Gravy Train Alert!

Why is Rob Ford going to the Hockey Hall of Fame to meet two American actors and give them a special gift? Waste of tax payer money. We don't pay Rob Ford to spend his time at a tourist attraction hobnobbing with celebrities. Where is the respect for tax payers?

I was thinking the exact same thing! Drop him an email, tell him what you think. I suspect their IT people have blocked my IP address from their servers by now :).

No. Cut up CNE passes.

Even worse, Ford for Mayor bumper stickers.

3d977ad04a64a160e96ea2028c9f.jpg

Hmm, handing out campaign stickers during an event that is arguably hosted in the name of the city? Classy.
I'd think that the campaign stickers would be perfect, given the movie they are promoting. I hadn't realised Rob Ford had such a great sense of humour - it may even be challenging Chauncey Gardiner.

I'm not a lawyer by any stretch, and I'm not singling this media event out as example (due to the obvious comedic intention), but isn't it against city bylaws to campaign outside of the official Campaign Period? I know, I know...how do you say "that is campaigning!"? Well, I think handing out actual literal campaign materials is pretty clear.

I'm not saying he's doing this, but if he is still handling out 'Ford for Mayor' swag during all those rightwing circle-jerks in suburbia, I'm pretty sure that's not cool. I've never wanted to shake his hand, or accept anything he'd want to slip to me, or even be in his general vicinity, so I really don't know if this crap is happening regularly. I really hope it's not.

And I'll say again, I may be way off base on both counts (1. that he even does this, and 2. that it's not permitted). Do not take this as an allegation, but please feel free to comment ;)

And just so this doesn't slip by unnoticed, from The Star:

Toronto votes: Ranked ballots for 2018? Toronto city council may vote on changing its election system

Toronto’s council might vote in the fall on whether to use a different election system in 2018 and beyond.

At the request of Mayor Rob Ford’s executive committee and council’s government management committee, city elections officials are now studying a proposal to switch to a ranked ballot system. Councillor Paul Ainslie, the government management chair and a Ford ally, said he plans to bring the proposal to the council floor in November.

I wouldn't think that a ranked ballot would work out in Ford's favour, especially if he has multiple opponents.

I'm not a lawyer by any stretch, and I'm not singling this media event out as example (due to the obvious comedic intention), but isn't it against city bylaws to campaign outside of the official Campaign Period? I know, I know...how do you say "that is campaigning!"? Well, I think handing out actual literal campaign materials is pretty clear.

I'm not saying he's doing this, but if he is still handling out 'Ford for Mayor' swag during all those rightwing circle-jerks in suburbia, I'm pretty sure that's not cool. I've never wanted to shake his hand, or accept anything he'd want to slip to me, or even be in his general vicinity, so I really don't know if this crap is happening regularly. I really hope it's not.

And I'll say again, I may be way off base on both counts (1. that he even does this, and 2. that it's not permitted). Do not take this as an allegation, but please feel free to comment ;)

I caught it on the 6pm news, he handed them mini Stanley Cups and 'Ford For Mayor' bumper stickers plus both Ferrell and Galifianakis wore 'Ford For Mayor' buttons. The film they are promoting is something like "The Campaign" (a political comedy, presumably) so Ford is probably in the clear here.

The banter in 7 or 8 posts above is hilarious :)

Why not 2014? If Ford has two or more running mates, and he will, he has the advantage in winning another four, long, destructive years.

Last edited:
Always surprising...

Toronto Star: Mayor Rob Ford embraces new Underpass Park, climbs jungle gym

Children broke into a spontaneous "go mayor, go mayor, go mayor" chant on Thursday as Mayor Rob Ford unexpectedly joined them on the climbing ropes of a jungle gym at the new Underpass Park while wearing a suit and tie.
Ford’s enthusiastic embrace of the innovative park, which is located under the Eastern Ave. and Richmond/Adelaide overpasses near King and River Sts., marks a shift — at least a temporary shift — in his administration’s tone toward Waterfront Toronto, the three-government agency responsible for the park, the Port Lands, and other waterfront development.

Waterfront Toronto’s projects have been widely lauded. But Councillor Doug Ford, the mayor’s brother, has called the agency “the biggest boondoggle the feds, the province and the city has ever done.†Another ally, Councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong, has said it has produced “very little value.†Deputy Mayor Doug Holyday has criticized the salaries of its executives. And the administration tried unsuccessfully to force it to relinquish control of the massive Port Lands project.

Ford did not speak generally about Waterfront Toronto at its official opening on Thursday, but he pronounced himself “very impressed†with its work on the park.

“Toronto’s growth has brought forward the need to think about how we best use spaces in our city that might otherwise go unused. The opening of the Underpass Park is an excellent example of how we turn neglected space into a community hub,†he said in a speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back