669     2 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 463     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 576     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
havent really been following these threads since election day, so sorry if I am just repeating something thats already been said here... does anyone else get the feeling that Doug Ford is going to be our own Dick Cheney?

havent really been following these threads since election day, so sorry if I am just repeating something thats already been said here... does anyone else get the feeling that Doug Ford is going to be our own Dick Cheney?

Maybe a bit, but I get the sense that Doug is actually a bit more reasonable than Ford is. He'll keep Ford's temper in check more than anything else, I think.

Nick Kouvalis, though, is absolutely Cheney-esque.

Or, unless "something happens"
Luca%20Brasi.jpg

watching the first play by play of the incoming administration in regards to TTC / TransitCity policy... they are saying that they want to cancel TransitCity in favour of subway development. On the surface this sounds atleast somewhat reasonable. But when you consider the signed agreements and contracts and the fact that the Province is saying they dont have any money on top of what was already committed, it starts to make one wonder. Perhaps this pro subway talk is just a subtrafuge which in reality will equate to no spending on transit expansion ( a hidden agenda?) Meanwhile when it all blows up Ford can still claim that he wanted subways and it's the province's fault for not backing that plan... any thoughts?

My feeling is - keeping the 6 lanes open for cars is ultimately a higher priority than getting any transit built for this mayor.

AoD

I'd like to see how Ford is going to address the Library budget. The libraries have been cut back many times over the years. Many branches rarely open. Many books are beyond expiration.

Ford has promised a 2.5% cut to city spending, but spread over only one third of city programs. The libraries are in that third and would thus be facing a 7.5% cut. That means a lot of reduced hours and closed branches.

Councillors are not going to vote for a budget that slashes libraries in their ward, and the cuts might not happen because of that. Or, given Ford's controverisal style, he might load all the cuts on the downtown branches where the councillors weren't going to vote for his budget anyway.

Ford has promised a 2.5% cut to city spending, but spread over only one third of city programs. The libraries are in that third and would thus be facing a 7.5% cut. That means a lot of reduced hours and closed branches.
Didn't Ford also promise not to cut services? Serious question ... I wasn't following much of what said.

Didn't Ford also promise not to cut services? Serious question ... I wasn't following much of what said.

Yes, and that's going to be the big challenge. The library board isn't proposing extra 'gravy' with their budget increase - it's simply the minimum they need to continue offering the same level of services they did this past year. Costs go up, and a 3.3% increase year-over-year is certainly pretty standard for any organization that deals with a variety of external costs.

This morning on CBC, I heard Ford proclaim " the war on cars is over". I say, let " the war on a clueless mayor" begin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back