570     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 584     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 279     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point the Crackstarter basically hinges on Gawker topping the Crackstarter off.

Let's hope they do.

Seeing this kind of writing in The Toronto Sun gives me hope that this will all be over soon. The Fords have only stayed in office because they claim "the people support us". You've got The Sun, the most rapid pro-Ford paper out there confirming that the mayor has a problem and that he's finished politically, then where are his supporters?

Then again, I would not be surprised if Ford comes out of this less scathed than people expect, that Toronto Sun will do a 180 and go back to blindly supporting him. Remember: 1.) there have been times previously that people have said that the Sun was turning away from him when they then returned 2.) It's not entirely out of their character to do so 3.) It depends on who's running in 2014. If we have a John Tory centrist, the Sun may grugingly support that candidate. If it's Olivia Chow, the Sun will definite endorse Ford over her.

Last edited:
Gawker makes allusion to a drug ring operating in City Hall.

" So if Gawker can't come up with enough money to ring this owner's bell, perhaps we can find a partner. This isn't just the mayor of Toronto smoking crack cocaine, after all: This is Toronto Confidential. There are a host of important local officials wrapped up in this drug ring. "

Who do you suppose are the host of local officials wrapped up in this nefarious drug ring?

Yes. The metro government, in my opinion, actually worked fairly well. The problem was that the city grew beyond the scope of Metro.

This is just my own opinion, but what I think may make the most sense (in a perfect world) is mayors (or ministers) of Toronto, North York, Etobicoke, Miss, Brampton, etc... with a regional "head of state".

As I said - I don't think amalgamation was necessarily a mistake, the mistake was the failure of the greater toronto services board (GTSB) that was established around the time of amalgamation to actually grow into a quasi regional government.

Would areas that already have two tiers (municipalities in Peel...for example) now have 3?

At this point the Crackstarter basically hinges on Gawker topping the Crackstarter off.

Contrary to what it looks like, the campaign has been keeping up with the $500/hr average it needs to reach the goal -- just barely. Even at this slow pace, it's on track to hit $175K or $25K to go with 50hrs remaining and $188K ($12K left) with 24hrs remaining. So if Monday morning it's within $12K, with Crackstarter back on the Gawker front page and all over Twitter, it's a very achievable goal -- if people believe it'll make a difference.

But here's the thing, if the seller doesn't get in touch motivated by $200,000, he's either gone missing or sold the tape to someone else (Ford seems confident all of a sudden). So it doesn't matter if we reach the $200K if the seller doesn't come out by tomorrow or Monday morning the latest.

Adrienne Batra just outed Ford:

As his former Press Secretary she would know.

Seeing this kind of writing in The Toronto Sun gives me hope that this will all be over soon. The Fords have only stayed in office because they claim "the people support us". You've got The Sun, the most rapid pro-Ford paper out there confirming that the mayor has a problem and that he's finished politically, then where are his supporters?

They exist. They're running around saying that being a distribution centre for drug dealer is "normal teenage behaviour"

Gawker makes allusion to a drug ring operating in City Hall.

" So if Gawker can't come up with enough money to ring this owner's bell, perhaps we can find a partner. This isn't just the mayor of Toronto smoking crack cocaine, after all: This is Toronto Confidential. There are a host of important local officials wrapped up in this drug ring. "

Who do you suppose are the host of local officials wrapped up in this nefarious drug ring?

I'm willing to bet Mammoliti is involved. He stinks of organized crime.

I was downtown this evening around 7pm, and saw Rob walking on the sidewalk and pressing the flesh with random pedestrians on Bay St. Ironically, the cross-street was Temperance...

I cannot believe what I just heard on the radio. It must have been the most manipulative and dishonest interview I've ever heard.

This interview was intentionally meant to mislead people who only read the headlines and have no idea what the G & M article was about. The next person I hear say that the Fords are honest men, I'm going to tell them to shut the F up!

What a manipulative, dishonest, lying sack of s**t!

Is it too soon to call him a psychopath? Or do we have to wait for all these lies to blow up in the most spectacular fashion before we can look back and say "You know, with the way he was talking and deceiving people and fooling himself, it all matches the behaviour of a psychopath."

You have to admit that Doug is fighting back way better that Rob- he's coming out with both fists swinging and getting his side out early to his target audience instead of letting the newspaper's version take root, as what happened to Rob. I wouldn't be surprised if the Ford family consider Doug as having better prospects than Rob, especially at the Provincial level- hence the fevered self-preservation.

What the Globe says: Doug Ford was a local drug dealer who bought and sold pounds of hash, and who also hired one of his old dealers in city hall
What Ford says: I was only using hash, didn't we all in high school? Mainstream media is persecuting me, you right-wing media are much better, right?

Minor omission and admission makes the difference.

What Ford says: I was only using hash, didn't we all in high school? Mainstream media is persecuting me, you right-wing media are much better, right?

Fucking hell, it's already working! He didn't admit to smoking hash! He said he smoked marijuana! Maybe that's his version of Rob's "I do not use cocaine" wordplay, in that conventionally speaking "hash" is the concentrated THC (extreme high) but weed (mellow high) is the natural dried plant... so by saying "yes I used marijuana" he could have technically admitted to hash use without making it obvious. But that's a digression.

The real point is - I don't believe the Globe actually accused him of smoking hash, did they? I thought they were quite careful about that, didn't they mention that nobody ever reported seeing him use it, just deal in it? My memory is a bit hazy because I woke up early out of excitement and read it in the 6am hazy mind-state :)

Fucking hell, it's already working! He didn't admit to smoking hash! He said he smoked marijuana! Maybe that's his version of Rob's "I do not use cocaine" wordplay, in that conventionally speaking "hash" is the concentrated THC (extreme high) but weed (mellow high) is the natural dried plant... so by saying "yes I used marijuana" he could have technically admitted to hash use without making it obvious. But that's a digression.

The real point is - I don't believe the Globe actually accused him of smoking hash, did they? I thought they were quite careful about that, didn't they mention that nobody ever reported seeing him use it, just deal in it? My memory is a bit hazy because I woke up early out of excitement and read it in the 6am hazy mind-state :)

They said he sold it. Don't recall anything about smoking

Indeed. And different people hear different rumours about the different siblings. People from central Etobicoke (where I happened to grow up) aren't walking around with an exhaustive encyclopaedic knowledge of the Ford family escapades. It's stuff that's enough to raise one's eyebrow but not necessarily to damn someone. This Globe piece goes way beyond what the average person from Etobicoke knows.

Agreed. I lived in Toronto from '91, was fully aware of politics but not active, and knew enough about Rob (DUI, hockey game rant) to understand he was a loose cannon & drinker/smoker. The G&M article is a complete surprise to me except the Kathy & her boyfriend incident. This is a BFD, even if it doesn't shock you personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back