431     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 540     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are family dynasties everywhere in politics, but is there any like the Ford family? They consider Ward 2 to be their personal kingdom and could keep the seat if the new puppy ran in a by-election.

So what do people here think of John Tory's preference for a byelection in Ward 2?

Given the amount of time left in the term, that is probably how it has to happen.

Don't worry too much, Renata's mother will just have another job added to her list. I hope she likes dogs.

This poor woman - Henryka? - I'm assuming she was the tiny, older woman trailing behind Renata at the visitation and funeral. Does anyone know when exactly her husband died? Was it before Rob's funeral? I can't imagine what she must've gone through (assuming Renata's quotes in Warmington's article are accurate and in context). I tried looking it up at the time and found the interment notice which said he was buried out of Turner and Porter, Yorke. But there was no notice on their website. Oddly, there was a memorial page set up for Rob on their website at that time even though another funeral home had handled his arrangements. Odder still, T&P's obituaries section seems to have been down ever since...

Just as you thought it would be safe to step into the by-election waters... See link.

A Ford will be running if council holds a Ward 2 byelection
Rob Ford's brother promises a member of Ford family will run in Etobicoke North

A Ford will be running to replace Rob Ford if council orders a byelection.

City councillors will debate next week how to fill the Etobicoke North (Ward 2) vacancy created by the ex-mayor’s death last month.

In a report released Thursday, city staff outline the choice for council — either an appointing a new councillor at a special meeting on June 9 or holding a byelection in mid-July.

“It’s too long of a time to appoint someone, you have to let the people decide,” Rob Ford’s brother Doug Ford told the Sun on Thursday.

Ford — a former councillor and 2014 mayoral candidate — said he or his nephew Michael Ford, a school trustee, would be running for the position if council opts for a byelection.

“We’ve always believed in a byelection, so we’ll see what council decides and we’ll go from there,” he said.

The total cost of the byelection is earmarked at about $175,000, not including the cost of a contribution rebate program.

If the rebates are added, staff estimate a byelection would cost around $225,000.

Deputy Mayor Denzil Minnan-Wong said he will reserve his opinion on whether council should appoint a new councillor or hold a byelection until the May 3 meeting.

“The cost of a byelection is certainly a factor, it’s not the only factor, but it’s one of the things to consider when the item comes to council,” he said. “I don’t have any great insights other than that.”

In 2000, council adopted a policy of establishing an earlier cut-off date to hold byelections.

The policy provides that vacancies occurring on or before Nov. 30 in the year before a regular election be filled by byelection, and vacancies occurring afterwards be filled by appointment. The next municipal election isn’t until 2018.

Are they going to draw straws?

art-artist-painter-painting-paints-misunderstanding-nfkn972_low.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back