430     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 537     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently, according to Fillion, people who claim to strongly dislike Rob actually dislike themselves!
Apparently, according to me, Filion spent too much time with FNers researching his book. FN only calls us "haters" while Filion ups it and calls us "self-loathing"? Stockhome Syndrome perhaps? My little crocodile heart does not bleed little crocodile tears, unlike Robbie's. If this is truly Filion's analysis there are probably interesting exchanges going on around the councillors' offices.

This one? "Assessing the financial affairs of ‘average guy’ Mayor Rob Ford" (November 23, 2013)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...f-average-guy-mayor-rob-ford/article15574327/

Yes, and thanks for your analysis, that sounds like what I remembered just not the details. I too am not a realtor and I don't know the area but I know that the city has for decades sought to protect and preserve "employment areas". I wasn't thinking residential redevelopment, but maybe intensification and diversification? (Something Robbie could vote against.)

Apparently, according to Fillion, people who claim to strongly dislike Rob actually dislike themselves!
Well, he'd be right because if I had some DUIs under my belt, partied hearty in the mayor's office but didn't actually work very much in it, made disgusting comments about my wife, made a public spectacle of myself on numerous occasions, lied every time I opened my mouth, and had Doug for a brother, I'd absolutely hate myself.

Yes, and thanks for your analysis, that sounds like what I remembered just not the details. I too am not a realtor and I don't know the area but I know that the city has for decades sought to protect and preserve "employment areas". I wasn't thinking residential redevelopment, but maybe intensification and diversification? (Something Robbie could vote against.)

To clarify re Deco redevelopment, I wasn't thinking residential (or institutional or parkland for that matter) either - the place is in no-man's land - just a time when Deco was perhaps no longer and the properties are on the market. I was guessing the buildings might be crap and need a tear-down. Although the conversion to something less commercial/industrial is fun to think about as stricter environmental criteria would then apply and the findings of some of those reports would become public (but likely just the ones that show it's now cleaned up, if that was necessary).

i wonder if the guy with the trucking company on vulcan, janusz poreba, was a friend of renata's or her family, and therefore could be the 'john' that recorded her conversation in a tim's parking lot...

It's strange that they were so secretive about the background story for so long if the story is so innocent. Why's he talking about a byelection and people talking smack about his brothers? Apparently his ex staffer Tom Beyer Tweeted in response to Towhey's story "It's true. I was there." But then he quickly deleted it. His buddy David Price gave a detailed account of the background of this video in private to someone I know, but that story doesn't quite sound right either. He says it was filmed right after the crack video story came out and he was ranting about the guys who were selling it. And he was distraught because he'd just gotten fired from his coaching job too.
i wonder why their aren't more people writing books about the fords. i guess they're scared for some reason, but there seem to be people who would take advantage of what they know just for the money... yet they don't.

In John Sewell's new memoir "How We Changed Toronto", in his recounting of the Ben Grys conflict of interest scandal of 1971, this paragraph stood out (transcribed from Google Books)

I had learned that Ben Grys was not a complex person: he seemed more like an innocent youth, although he was in his late thirties or early forties, beefy, with large hands. It seemed entirely natural that he would never think twice about the propriety of rezoning property in which he had a financial interest, both because he seemed to think like a teenager rather than like a full-fledged adult, and because this City Council never thought such actions might be problematic.

The more things change...

i wonder why their aren't more people writing books about the fords. i guess they're scared for some reason, but there seem to be people who would take advantage of what they know just for the money... yet they don't.

It might also have something to do with the Ford saga still being "a work in progress".

Are you thinking of this bit?

At school, kids told his children that worms would soon be eating their father. the cruelty shook him, as if he hadn't examined the dark side of human nature before. "Can you imagine? They get it from their parents.

"People hate me," he said. I told him that some people hated me too. "No," he said. "They dislike you. They hate me. I don't know why."

I asked Rob if he'd ever heard of a Rorschach test. He hadn't. People look at ink blots and see different things, I explained. What they see says more about them than about the splotches on the paper. "You're like the ink blots."

"I see what you mean," he said.

oh look... they will both be on...

frightening agenda ford.PNG

https://twitter.com/spaikin/status/666736585627426817

Attachments

• frightening agenda ford.PNG
    frightening agenda ford.PNG
    471.6 KB · Views: 626

I am delighted by the phrase "citizen Fordologist".

I caught most of The Agenda at 8pm. I've read Fillion's book but not Towhey's but I don't think I learned anything from the interviews I didn't already know other than the fact that Johanna Schneller can see Towhey's point of view after helping him write his book. I would have liked to see Towhey talk about whether or not Rob Ford has the capacity to understand complex issues (Fillion thinks not, although he gives him credit for expertise in football and simple constituent maintenance issues) and if not how he could really feel good about supporting an agenda based on staggeringly simplistic thought processes, but beyond admitting that the Fords were constantly taking bad advice from their Night Shifts he didn't really address the relationship between simplistic thinking and bad policy.

i was just telling someone today that this was something we still had to look forward to, and then there's new info about it. i love when shit like that happens.

but...
Lisi will be in Superior Court for a four-week trial starting September 12, 2016
i thought i was going to be something like february or april 2016, not september!

2 more things worthy of note...
Lisi, according to lawyer Domenic Basile, has elected to be tried by a judge and jury, and so jury selection should begin within a day or two of the trial's start. He continues to also be defended by Seth Weinstein and Courtney Keystone.

and...
Councillor Ford, who is currently receiving treatment for two tumours on his bladder, was subpoenaed to testify at the preliminary hearing, but his chief of staff couldn't be reached for comment Tuesday evening as to whether Ford has yet been summoned to appear at the trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back