415     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 532     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could a person not simply email Toronto Foundation and ask them what the RFFF actually does now that Rob Ford is pretty much banned from coaching at TDSB and TCDSB?

Maybe it's not their business to know where the money goes, but it seems weird. Like if I registered a charity 10 years ago to save Captain John's boat... and it was towed away months ago but I kept accepting donations anyway, that'd be pretty shady.

(Actually, someone is doing just that, but they don't seem to be claiming to be a registered charity.)
Yes, you could. Depending on the agreement, the Fords can direct where the funds go, provided the recipient(s) is a registered charity. Alternately, the Fords can allow TF to choose a charity within certain parameters (kids' sports, for exampl), or they can allow TF to direct the funds to wherever they best see fit.

I've found the perfect solution to my lack of time and attention span: Towhey's book has an audio version. Do most come in an audio version these days? From the brief sample, it sounds like the book is all about how I trained the buffoon.

Last edited:
I've found the perfect solution to my lack of time and attention span: Towhey's book has an audio version. Do most come in an audio version these days? From the brief sample, it sounds like the book is all about how I trained the buffoon.
The Liberry often has audio versions of books available. You can search their catalogue on line to see if they've got an item, and a liberry card is easy to get. All you need is a utility bill as ID with your name and address, and the front desk will issue you one on the spot. You need the card to locate and "hold" (order) the item if you need an inter-library transfer of it to your local branch.

Great for ordering kids books too.

Yes, you could. Depending on the agreement, the Fords can direct where the funds go, provided the recipient(s) is a registered charity. Alternately, the Fords can allow TF to choose a charity within certain parameters (kids' sports, for exampl), or they can allow TF to direct the funds to wherever they best see fit.
I don't actually think the Football Foundation is a Big Thing. I think Rob set it up because he was compulsive about his Coach persona and after the first warnings from the Integrity Comish while he was still a councilor someone advised him to formalize the fund. I think it was also all about his "I give it all to charity" claims. Tax receipts were probably secondary to him.

This article has a long description about the "murder rant" video being somehow linked to Justin Trudeau.:confused:

Mentions of Justin Trudeau only figure into the reported descriptions of the original crack video (which at one point in this article is referred to as a "videotape" :rolleyes: I mean -- really?). I don't know if this article writer knows something we don't (and is there anything in Towhey's book about the murder rant video?) or if this writer just cobbled together his article from random Twitter searches, and conflated a bunch or unrelated things.

Yeah, there's a few things this author doesn't get quite right. I think the worst is apparently not understanding the concept of a purchasing a mickey which Towhey refers to in the book as "the serious drinkers pocket flask". This NYP article suggests those Twitter sightings of Rob at the liquor store indicated he was "filling his flask from the shelf" o_O

Towhey does however mention the murder rant video (Page 298-299*). He said he learned about it from two people who were there, about a year after he was fired. He says their stories agree. The house belonged to one of Rob's assistant football coaches. Rob arrived unannounced and unexpected, inviting friends over for an impromptu party (the homeowner was not happy). Witnesses said Rob ranted on about several people, including Justin Trudeau. Apparently Rob went on about Trudeau's charity boxing match with Patrick Brazeau (that took place March 31, 2012). He also mentioned Mike Tyson. One of the people there said they knew someone who know Tyson's publicist. Then Rob kept asking who was tougher, him or Tyson? Rob also talked about Hulk Hogan and the Iron Sheik and at one point wanted to phone the Iron Sheik and invite him over.

In the video, Rob is apparently role-playing an imaginary encounter with Trudeau and Tyson and/or Hogan, although for the portion of the rant captured on video it's unclear if Rob himself knows who he's talking about; the witnesses do not agree. Towhey's book also says that at one point Rob called Bruno to come over to the house. When Bruno arrived, Rob answered the door and (you guessed it) punched Bruno right in the face, knocking him to the ground. Rob then grabbed him and dragged him into the house. Awesome.

*(Note to Towhey and Schneller - an index would've been nice. Doolittle and Filion each provided one in their books).

The Liberry often has audio versions of books available. You can search their catalogue on line to see if they've got an item, and a liberry card is easy to get. All you need is a utility bill as ID with your name and address, and the front desk will issue you one on the spot. You need the card to locate and "hold" (order) the item if you need an inter-library transfer of it to your local branch.

Also, if you work, go to school or own land in Toronto but don't live here, you can also obtain a free Toronto liberry card in the event your local liberry isn't meeting your needs. You just need to produce the relevant documents like a current statement of payment that shows your work address, for example. Anyone else not meeting the above criteria can buy their way in for $30 for 3 months or $120 for a year.

Yeah, there's a few things this author doesn't get quite right. I think the worst is apparently not understanding the concept of a purchasing a mickey which Towhey refers to in the book as "the serious drinkers pocket flask". This NYP article suggests those Twitter sightings of Rob at the liquor store indicated he was "filling his flask from the shelf" o_O

Towhey does however mention the murder rant video (Page 298-299*). He said he learned about it from two people who were there, about a year after he was fired. He says their stories agree. The house belonged to one of Rob's assistant football coaches. Rob arrived unannounced and unexpected, inviting friends over for an impromptu party (the homeowner was not happy). Witnesses said Rob ranted on about several people, including Justin Trudeau. Apparently Rob went on about Trudeau's charity boxing match with Patrick Brazeau (that took place March 31, 2012). He also mentioned Mike Tyson. One of the people there said they knew someone who know Tyson's publicist. Then Rob kept asking who was tougher, him or Tyson? Rob also talked about Hulk Hogan and the Iron Sheik and at one point wanted to phone the Iron Sheik and invite him over.

In the video, Rob is apparently role-playing an imaginary encounter with Trudeau and Tyson and/or Hogan, although for the portion of the rant captured on video it's unclear if Rob himself knows who he's talking about; the witnesses do not agree. Towhey's book also says that at one point Rob called Bruno to come over to the house. When Bruno arrived, Rob answered the door and (you guessed it) punched Bruno right in the face, knocking him to the ground. Rob then grabbed him and dragged him into the house. Awesome.

*(Note to Towhey and Schneller - an index would've been nice. Doolittle and Filion each provided one in their books).

It's strange that they were so secretive about the background story for so long if the story is so innocent. Why's he talking about a byelection and people talking smack about his brothers? Apparently his ex staffer Tom Beyer Tweeted in response to Towhey's story "It's true. I was there." But then he quickly deleted it. His buddy David Price gave a detailed account of the background of this video in private to someone I know, but that story doesn't quite sound right either. He says it was filmed right after the crack video story came out and he was ranting about the guys who were selling it. And he was distraught because he'd just gotten fired from his coaching job too.

Also, if you work, go to school or own land in Toronto but don't live here, you can also obtain a free Toronto liberry card in the event your local liberry isn't meeting your needs. You just need to produce the relevant documents like a current statement of payment that shows your work address, for example. Anyone else not meeting the above criteria can buy their way in for $30 for 3 months or $120 for a year.
I'm going to do this! I moved to Oakville but drive into T.O. for work and with the Gardner construction my commute is up to an hour longer now everyday so I need something to help pass the time!

I don't actually think the Football Foundation is a Big Thing. I think Rob set it up because he was compulsive about his Coach persona and after the first warnings from the Integrity Comish while he was still a councilor someone advised him to formalize the fund. I think it was also all about his "I give it all to charity" claims. Tax receipts were probably secondary to him.
There's another odd thing about Rob - of all the crap he's done, and what we know about thru "official sources", the only time he's been in court has been when private citizens (or pinko activists as he'd have it) have hauled him in on COIs.

[QUOTE="riffraff, post: 1054485, member:

And lemur, I have been wondering about Deco a lot lately.[/QUOTE]

Around the time the G&M did the article about Doug's first career as a hash dealer (May 25/13) there was also an item about the "net worth" of the Ford/Deco holdings, including the business, the residences, and other land holdings specifically a commercial/industrial property Deco owned, one of which included a unit leased to a commercial trucking firm.

So, potential redevelopment opportunities? Sorry I can't find the piece.

[QUOTE="riffraff, post: 1054485, member:

And lemur, I have been wondering about Deco a lot lately.

Around the time the G&M did the article about Doug's first career as a hash dealer (May 25/13) there was also an item about the "net worth" of the Ford/Deco holdings, including the business, the residences, and other land holdings specifically a commercial/industrial property Deco owned, one of which included a unit leased to a commercial trucking firm.

So, potential redevelopment opportunities? Sorry I can't find the piece.

This one? "Assessing the financial affairs of ‘average guy’ Mayor Rob Ford" (November 23, 2013)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...f-average-guy-mayor-rob-ford/article15574327/

The article states that the property values were obtained through MPAC ((Municipal Property Assessment Corporation) indicating real estate holdings of approximately $10 million. The two Deco properties were valued at around $3.4 million. The other property, which is located at 85 Vulcan Street is valued most recently at $2.4 million. The remainder of the properties I guess means Diane's, Doug's and Rob's houses (what about Kathy's place?), plus the cottage in Muskoka and three condos in Florida (values obtained through Broward County tax assessments). The Chicago and New Jersey sites are presumably leased?

As for redevelopment, I could maybe see it for the Deco lands, but the Vulcan site is in kind of a meh area for redevelopment unless possibly several lots were purchased together - Purolator has an operation across the street and its building is much larger and appears newer than its (1960-70ish) neighbours. As a standalone, it's next to a hydro corridor and its current use (transport company and warehouse) - or something similar - is likely its best use (I am not a real estate agent). If the time cam that Deco needed to relocate because they got too big (or the opposite), I think the redevelopment process could be popcorn-worthy. Unfortunately, the details are not likely something that might make it to the public. But printing companies generate a lot of interest from an environmental perspective, particularly ones that have occupied the same premises for 45 years - all those inks and solvents - buyer beware! Hopefully, if the Deco properties went up on the market the potential purchaser would have a thorough environmental assessment conducted on their behalf.

No wonder Doug's so opposed to liberries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back