News   Jul 15, 2024
 872     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 996     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
What we have known for a long time about the Fords:

1) There's not a single "responsible adult" in any conventional sense in the whole clan.

2) That Kathy and Randy have substantial criminal records with drugs and violence..

3) That Rob and Doug were "protected" from being charged by their father's position within the Conservative party.

4) That coming out of her first failed marriage Renata was already a serious alkie and that
Rob got married to enhance his "family man" image to advance his political ambitions.

5) That Rob had a long history of drink and, by his own admissions, drugs.

6) That guns were present in the Ford Sr. household (Kathy was shot with her father's gun)

7) That there is a long history of domestic abuse between Rob and Renata

8) That CAS has been involved in monitoring the children's care at least since the Crack Scandal broke.

9. That Fords who do speak publicly usually lie or embellish 'their' truth.

10) That la famiglia co-ordinates their messaging. It is never modified to adjust to reality, just to redefine it.

11) Except for Mamma, Ford women are mostly props for Rob and Doug.

12) The clan is hermetically sealed; the "boys" don't take advice from outsiders and they do nothing (like Doug talking to Filion, or handing out peanut butter at a food bank) except to promote themselves.

and

13) That Doug is fiercely competitive with Rob and will use Rob primarily to his own advantage regardless of the consequences to Rob.

As for Renata, I think the consequences of addiction are harder for women than for men as they are in many aspects of life. In her case she is judged, not very kindly, as an addict as well as a wife and mother. Why hasn't she left? Look at the clan she married into knowing what she does about them.

As for the "tell alls", why don't the press ask Towhey and Filion who they weren't talking to, ask what they're not telling despite their "insider status". Does Filion know anything about the Ford-Stinz relationship. Ask Towhey about the Fords' corporate constituent meetings. Who cares about Stephanie's lunch? Robbie knows full well how to keep himself provisioned. Ask Towhey about the TCHC and Dixon constituent meetings, or the relationship Rob had with Gene Jones. Or maybe about what really happened around Rob being kicked out as coach at Don Bosco since staff were routinely hired for and assigned to football duty.. But no, as they say, the Show must go on. Its one long commercial interruption.

11) Except for Mamma, Ford women are mostly props for Rob and Doug.

I disagree, Diane has always been used in the "family values" potion of the Ford agenda/propaganda.

As for Renata, I think the consequences of addiction are harder for women than for men as they are in many aspects of life. In her case she is judged, not very kindly, as an addict as well as a wife and mother. Why hasn't she left? Look at the clan she married into knowing what she does about them.

Codependency.

As for the "tell alls", why don't the press ask Towhey and Filion who they weren't talking to, ask what they're not telling despite their "insider status". Does Filion know anything about the Ford-Stinz relationship. Ask Towhey about the Fords' corporate constituent meetings. Who cares about Stephanie's lunch? Robbie knows full well how to keep himself provisioned. Ask Towhey about the TCHC and Dixon constituent meetings, or the relationship Rob had with Gene Jones. Or maybe about what really happened around Rob being kicked out as coach at Don Bosco since staff were routinely hired for and assigned to football duty.. But no, as they say, the Show must go on. Its one long commercial interruption.

I think this is the monologue you are looking for:

There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to – The Outer Limits.

JWBF I think Momma Diane is much more than a prop. She has some significant control over the Ford/DECO money, and she has the Old Stock Eastern (Ontario) Party ties, well nurtured and maintained since the Mike Harris years: Flaherty, Clement, et al , that took Harris' hard right message to Ottawa and dominated Harper's cabinet. And she's the woman that made her children what they are today politically and personally. All those important meetings and events at the Family Mansion, not to mention the FordFesters! Just a regular family!

Other than these excerpts, is anyone else actually reading Fillion's book? It's been available for a few days on Google Play. I've been slowly getting through it while commuting. Randy snacking on that nose (and the whole story leading up to it) was the most shocking so far, but overall it seems like Fillion did a pretty good job of not just retelling stories, but trying to lay the groundwork for *why* all of the Fords turned out the way they did.

Seriously screwed up family, no doubt....

From the free sample of Filion's book (Google Play)
Doug Sr. eventually became a Rotarian and served on the boards of local institutions and charities. The trappings of success even included a yacht. but he never entirely lost that feeling of being on the outside looking in. With distain.
"There are certain yacht clubs where they walk around with their nose in the air and their pinkie in the air, drinking champagne," Doug said. "He couldn't stand those guys. 'They're phony as a two-dollar bill.' he'd always say. 'These guys don't have a pot to piss in and a window to throw it out. They're as fake as they com.'"

And from the National Post (October 23, 2015): http://news.nationalpost.com/news/d...oug-ford-on-how-to-fix-the-conservative-party
We’re loyal to our beliefs. We don’t waver. That’s the biggest problem with politicians now. They aren’t real. They’re as phony as a two-dollar bill, and I’m talking about the majority of all parties.

Doug(s)! There's nothing phony about a two-dollar bill...o_O (Even in the USA)

PS - Weird thing about the Google Play free sample. I can only see the Prologue and Chapter One on Chrome, but I can also see Chapter Two (where the above quote is from) in Explorer!

Last edited:
JWBF I think Momma Diane is much more than a prop. She has some significant control over the Ford/DECO money, and she has the Old Stock Eastern (Ontario) Party ties, well nurtured and maintained since the Mike Harris years: Flaherty, Clement, et al , that took Harris' hard right message to Ottawa and dominated Harper's cabinet. And she's the woman that made her children what they are today politically and personally. All those important meetings and events at the Family Mansion, not to mention the FordFesters! Just a regular family!

Ok, so she is a tool at times instead of a prop.

It's more of a Trinity: the dead father, the sons and the unholy ghost. And a shitload of Magdalenes.
Since my last post someone brought my attention to the Star's Filion excerpt wherein Kouvalis shares his experience responding to an invite to Doug from Mike Harris to talk about Rob;s mayoral run in 2010.

WARNING It has nothing to do with sex-shaming and victim-blaming Renata.

Wow, I can't believe this thread is still going.

In conversation about the election vis-a-vis the investigation into Rob Ford, some points came up:

1. If Harper's administration had any hand in calling the dogs off Rob Ford, that protection is now gone.
2. Bill Blair was on to something that was overruled by higher powers which is when he handed the investigation to the OPP who allegedly promptly messed it up. Well, guess who is now in the Federal Government?

At the very least, this isn't good news for Ford. At the worst, Blair is going to use the power of his new office to blow the whistle on Ford's friends in the former government and possibly employ federal resources into wrapping up the botched investigation that sullied the end of his career as Toronto's Chief of Police.

Who cares about Stephanie's lunch?
well, let's not forget that it was brought up in the context of misuse of city-paid employees and "respect for taxpayers". Now, we all know Ford's true believers won't care and will make some excuse. But there are a lot of people upset about wasteful spending, and it's good for them to see that politicians who do that kind of thing aren't limited to one side of the political spectrum.

In conversation about the election vis-a-vis the investigation into Rob Ford, some points came up:

1. If Harper's administration had any hand in calling the dogs off Rob Ford, that protection is now gone.
2. Bill Blair was on to something that was overruled by higher powers which is when he handed the investigation to the OPP who allegedly promptly messed it up. Well, guess who is now in the Federal Government?

At the very least, this isn't good news for Ford. At the worst, Blair is going to use the power of his new office to blow the whistle on Ford's friends in the former government and possibly employ federal resources into wrapping up the botched investigation that sullied the end of his career as Toronto's Chief of Police.

I wish I could believe that...

Worth noting that upon seeing the Harper/FoFam picture, my mother saw something *very* troubled in Stephanie. So, who knows *what's* going on there...

I think you're swinging at fences, Pedro.

(first, nice to see a post from you again :))

something will / better still happen. brazen 2 still hasn't been official closed. and that whole OPP hand off thing was weird / there's gotta be a story behind that.

question though... who would be the police chief's higher powers? the board?

if that is the case, i thought blair was known to not listen to them anyway.
As chief, Blair was officially accountable to the Toronto Police Services Board, in much the same way a CEO reports to a corporate board of directors. But it didn’t work out like that in practice.

Former chair Alok Mukherjee accused Blair of “intransigence and obduracy.” Former vice-chair Michael Thompson called him “insubordinate.” But beyond exercising the power to fire him, the board found itself without mechanisms to assert dominance over a chief who felt no obligation to comply with its directions. He acted as though he were above them and became exactly that.
https://nowtoronto.com/news/look-for-the-bill-blair-necessities/

the federal government wouldn't have that much say in this sort of thing, would they?

so, who could have and would have overruled him? and why?

and do you know any specifics on how the OPP messed it up? plus, was it on purpose or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back