News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.6K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
When I was reading recently about Tory's planned trip to SXSW, I noticed that Austin now has a new mayor. Turns out running for mayor in Austin (and I suspect many other places) is limited to a certain number of terms - Austin recently switched from three three-year terms to two four-year terms; as such Mayor Leffingwell, who was mayor when Ford paid his visit to Austin was ineligible to run again. In my search, I came across this exit interview article where Leffingwell describes what he learned as mayor: http://www.austinmonthly.com/AM/November-2014/Things-Ive-Learned-Lee-Leffingwell/

This part made me laugh:

On misconceptions about the office

"The mayor is seen as the head of city government, and a lot of people assume you have more authority than you really do. But I’m not the one who can send out a crew to fix a pothole, or make sure the garbage truck doesn’t miss your house. "

I guess Rob failed in imparting to Leffingwell that yelling at potholes and directing garbage trucks is exactly what Big City Mayors do! Guess he was late for a football game or cowboy boot fitting...

Jonathan Goldsbie
@goldsbie
He follows me for the entirety of his mayoralty, yet this is the tweet that does it: pic.twitter.com/wit61cUNr9
Jonathan Goldsbie @goldsbie
I was there at the beginning, man. (And was also the first person the account retweeted.) pic.twitter.com/bPkLqwIEpN

Blocking the media? I mean, block me, but not a member of the press.

In a way we who post on blogs/comments/message boards are sources for BIG or legit media, and we are a subversive influence on weak minds like Ford Foundation For Fanatics (that's right, 4F) and Colonel Flagg's Follies.

The game is to supress and then oppress; Bill C-51 is a good example.

From that Twitter link, the best comment was from @dangouge: "@goldsbie you peeked behind the curtain, key to Ford's public persona is that he's "authentic" - not handled/scripted, you deflated that."

Imagine that, Rob Ford's tweets written by someone else!? First there was "twin" Slurpy, and now this. That guy has more virtual selves than a role-playing game ...

From that Twitter link, the best comment was from @dangouge: "@goldsbie you peeked behind the curtain, key to Ford's public persona is that he's "authentic" - not handled/scripted, you deflated that."

Imagine that, Rob Ford's tweets written by someone else!? First there was "twin" Slurpy, and now this. That guy has more virtual selves than a role-playing game ...

I think it is common knowledge that Rob never used a computer and generally avoids technology, so someone else doing that isn't a shock. However, I do agree that this could change how people see him.

I think it is common knowledge that Rob never used a computer and generally avoids technology, so someone else doing that isn't a shock. However, I do agree that this could change how people see him.

Well, if the Escalade drove around to enough LCBO, Timmies and McDonalds locations, Rofo could be "spotted on Twitter" a bejillion times, even though he could be home in the basement. Staffers could tweet for him without his ever thinking about it. Worms could rite more text about his latest musings without even an entire press release.

Who could tell the difference?

Well, if the Escalade drove around to enough LCBO, Timmies and McDonalds locations, Rofo could be "spotted on Twitter" a bejillion times, even though he could be home in the basement. Staffers could tweet for him without his ever thinking about it. Worms could rite more text about his latest musings without even an entire press release.

Who could tell the difference?

I bet that Rob doesn't care for Twitter and just lets his staffers just post what they want. There was a comment that back when David Miller was mayor, he used Twitter and Rob was critical that he was using it to cost the taxpayers money for purchases.

Last edited:
I bet that Rob doesn't care for Twitter and just lets his staffers just post what they want. There was a comment that back when David Miller was mayor, he used Twitter and Rob was critical that he was using it to cost the taxpayers money for purchases.

How would that even work?

I bet the only thing that he cares about, after addictive substances, is that his selfies makes the rounds.

AoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back