News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
How soon people forget....

From the National Post of April 30, 2014, at this link:

Rob Ford promises to raise property taxes to pay for more subway lines

Mayor Rob Ford finally told voters how he would pay for more subway lines in Toronto: he would raise property taxes.

Mr. Ford has been campaigning for re-election on a pledge to extend the Sheppard subway, to build a subway under Finch Avenue — both routes that are currently slated to be light rail — and the Downtown Relief Line.

Speaking to reporters at City Hall on Wednesday, he said he would take the “exact same approach†that resulted in the Scarborough subway, which included a mix of property taxes to fund the city’s share, in addition to federal and provincial dollars.

“For the Sheppard line to connect, a quarter of one per cent [property tax hike],†Mr. Ford said. “But that’s just the tip of the ice berg. You need more than a quarter of one per cent obviously. You need the province to get on board, you need the federal government to get on board, which I’m sure they’ll get on board, and you need the 3Ps. We’ve got to get the private sector involved,†he said.

Asked if that means he would tack on another 0.25% tax hike for the other lines, the mayor hedged.

“Let’s take Sheppard first and foremost. That’s been my priority from day one. We hook up Sheppard, connect that. And I’d be looking strongly at Finch, and the DRL. It’s going to be a while. But, it’s very straightforward what I’ve been saying.â€

The approved Scarborough subway plan actually relies on a specific property tax hike for the project of 0.5%, ramping up to 1.6% by 2016. The mayor voted in favour of that funding scheme last year, but then opposed it during budget deliberations in January.

Councillor Karen Stintz, who is running for mayor, burst out laughing when she heard of the 0.25% proposition for Sheppard Avenue.

“I don’t think Rob knows how much the subway is going to cost,†she said. “Unless he plans to build the subway over the net one hundred years.†Ms. Stintz supports an LRT on Sheppard

Someone asked about grilling Ford over the Spadina/York line. Well, the latest report forgot the York portion, and so the original budget was actually 2.6 billion. They are over budget but not as much as has been reported. Giambrone pushed the use of international architects and this plus the low-ball of land acquisitions has pushed the numbers up.

Sorry don't know how to include the table that is with the tweet, but I gave the link.

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 18m18 minutes ago
Councillor Rob Ford has issued a "FORD vs. TORY 100 Days In" list #TOpoli

https://twitter.com/reporterdonpeat/status/575390346177343490

Sad, mid life crises are hard, especially when you play like your clean.

Bravo!

He just figured it out NOW?

Someone should ask him if he is talking about water reclamation or the ability to flush the toilet (just one do to finding efficiencies).

https://twitter.com/RobFordFactsCA/status/575460099902205952

B_xx6T4UYAAJSrm.png

Attachments

• B_xx6T4UYAAJSrm.png
    B_xx6T4UYAAJSrm.png
    72.6 KB · Views: 559
To be fair, Tory's only been on the job for 101 days. Let's come back after one year and see if he's smoking hash to deal with the stress at City Hall, or at least battling a crippling addiction to cough syrup :p

Don Peat @reporterdonpeat · 22m 22 minutes ago
Cllr Rob Ford moves a motion to leave the garbage bin rebates in place #TOpoli
Don Peat @reporterdonpeat · 21m 21 minutes ago
Speaker Frances Nunziata rules Cllr Rob Ford's motion out of order #TOpoli
Don Peat @reporterdonpeat · 18m 18 minutes ago
Rob Ford loses challenge. Vote is 37 to 4 #TOpoli

Classic stuff!

Matt Elliott ‏@GraphicMatt 5m5 minutes ago
Mammoliti motion to look at cheaper garbage fees for priority neighbourhoods fails 15-27.

Given you often get what you pay for, Mamms idea would likely mean the poorest neighbourhoods get the poorest garbage collection. Favela anyone?

How about a Garbage Levy for those enjoying the benefits of Toronto 's real estate bubble? Houses valued over $2million pay an additional garbage levy to cover the bill (or at least a good part of it) for priority neighbourhoods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back