705     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 502     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see that as "backing" Ford. Looks more Heath is trying not to get dragged into the mudslinging. But it's a weak and discouraging response, I give you that. YMMV.

It's the ol Bush Doctrine: She wasn't against Doug, so she might as well have been for him.

Like I said before, just as on Switcheroo Friday, she tried to look like the sensitives, smart person with her eye on the ball. Instead she comes across as wishy washy. Maybe that's not fair but that's how it looks. (Read Tory's statement - it's perfect. Says he's happy to debate, but he's not letting someone bully everyone else.)

The mere fact that Doug's statement echoes Olivia's (it's a shame John is refusing to address the crucial issues in our priority neighbourhoods) tells you a lot. She's just getting played by him.

I would assume Chow as well. That leaves Doug as the odd man out.

As it should be. And as it should have been in the first place. Suck on that, Massoudi.

Last edited:
And forgive me for saying so, but Goldkind has little no public profile beyond #TOpoli and the hyper-aware types here. Calling him a "fringe" candidate may be unfair, but he is most certainly a minor candidate with no political experience. Sure, he's a good speaker and has absolutely nothing to lose in debates, but there's intrinsic reason why he should be in debates. His platform is pretty decent. But being mayor is about more than being good in debates and preparing a wish list of progressive policy.

I see this from the other side of the coin. Why shouldn't a credible candidate with a solid platform have the same opportunities as well-funded candidates? One of my great hopes going into the election was that some new faces would emerge. David Soknaki and Ari Goldkind managed get noticed amid the chaos, and they are both worth hearing. (Sarah Thompson, not so much). If debate organizers want to invite them events, they should do so. They're doing *us* a service. If another candidate has a problem with that, tough luck. They can stay home or go door knocking as they see fit.

@judemacdonald
Lost in all this Ari drama: the community organizer who spoke out about Ford to the fifth estate was barred earlier. #TOpoli @JoshMLabelle
@judemacdonald
Apparently, more than one candidate was uncomfortable to have the Rexdale community activist present for the debate. #TOpoli @JoshMLabelle

(this is in reference to Mohamed Farah)

We've been doing this shit for this long... we can do it one more time, we can do four more years of it (but not Ford more years). We're supposed to get ranked ballots next time, right? So this BS can finally end. I can hold my nose and choose the lesser evil, one more time.

I can live with that assessment as long as Wynne fulfills this 'Mandate Letter'-thing. I believe she will. But...politics, right?

"We're not interested in playing these games."

that's Amin Massoudi on CP24 now. What an ass. I think it''s the first time I've actually heard him talk, the coms director for the fricking mayor of Toronto.
His spin is that we're close to election day and it should only be the major candidates at this point. He's just got a big ol soft spot for democracy, Amin does. He only wants to debate "leading candidates."

Asking the organizer to reconsider would maaaaybe support his idealism. Subjecting him to an ultimatum does not.

She's backing Ford by allowing him to dictate the terms of the debate.
Regardless of Ari's profile, he was invited by the organizers. They caved to Doug's ultimatum.
I'm sure Olivia is on some feel-good cloud where she doesn't think she's "backing" Doug but by saying she's perfectly happy to go debate him, knowing he forced out a fellow invitee, is totally off-base, as far as I'm concerned.

She never really got in the fight but her soft-pedal response on Switcheroo Friday - where she wouldn't even answer a straightforward question about whether she expected Doug to have similar policies to Rob - showed me she is not willing to call these guys on their crap and, despite what I'm sure is a well-intentioned heart, doesn't have the backbone for the job; and I don't just mean being mayor, I mean putting the Fords in their place, which is what this is all really about.

EDIT: Just cuz 3 of us said the same thing at the same time :) Hopefully that answers your Q.

So she looses by not playing with the rules of a mulling children, you don't dote on a bullying child.

Last edited:
Notice for anyone attending tomorrow's debate: If you do not support Doug Ford, you will not be allowed inside. The parking lot will be available for Tory supporters and we'll have two folding chairs on the lawn for the Chow campaign. That is all.

This.

Chow has completely missed he point here. Sure, the debate organizers can invite who they want, but when they bend to one candidate's hissy fit, I think the other parties involved should indeed take a stand. How is she going to handle dissent in Council? You can't just stand above it and pretend it's not happening.

I really want to vote for Chow, and not let her campaign foibles get in the way, but it's so hard!

It is all up to people to decide in a democracy. for good or bad. Doug, the people's champion is showing how selfish he is, and his insecurity. You want to handle dissent in council then you show the council who is in charge by being firm, fair, and giving in to bullies.

Last edited:
Don Peat @reporterdonpeat · 31m 31 minutes ago
Only in #Toronto: We have vigorous debates about having a debate (This is why we don't have nice things) #TOpoli

Don Peat with the quote of the night.

Opinion tide seems to be turning. I think Olivia's going to look great tomorrow. The only candidate who didn't back out on priority neighbourhoods? That's the principled stand.

Uh. Not exactly. She could have called out Ford while still promising to attend the debate because of the importance of the issue. She didn't, and that's why people are upset.

Mayoral candidate Ari Goldkind has now been re-invited to tomorrow night's debate (organizers uninvited him a few hours ago) #TOpoli
https://twitter.com/reporterdonpeat/status/520404283876212736

JT is going too!

Oh look. John Tory's threat to boycott got Ari Goldkind back in. I'm no fan of JT's, but he's the one who is going to be looking great tomorrow. Olivia is going to look like mud.

"We're not interested in playing these games."

that's Amin Massoudi on CP24 now. What an ass. I think it''s the first time I've actually heard him talk, the coms director for the fricking mayor of Toronto.
His spin is that we're close to election day and it should only be the major candidates at this point. He's just got a big ol soft spot for democracy, Amin does. He only wants to debate "leading candidates."

Asking the organizer to reconsider would maaaaybe support his idealism. Subjecting him to an ultimatum does not.

Gee, re-enforcing class warfare, I guess Dougie IS the true candidate of the PEOPLE by supporting classes that are worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back