429     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 940     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another debate tonight, I wonder if Doug will try and get out of this one. Can't imagine he wants to take another pummelling from Ari. I hope Ari attends every single debate, someone needs to tell Doug the home truth and unfortunately Tory and Chow aren't willing or able to do it.

Don PeatVerified account
‏@reporterdonpeat
Today on the campaign trail: Mayoral candidates debate hosted by Bloor West Village & Swansea Area Ratepayers Associations at 7 p.m.

Doug was dreadful. Mowed through Matt's questions with an unstoppable droning of talking points from 2010, much retelling of Ford fables going back to the fictitious $744m opening budget pressure, all bound up with flat-out lies (work 18 hours a day every day, love the people of this city, "shook hands with" the father of the autistic teen, rescued the city budget from the brink). He would have come across as patronizing and pompous except he just sounded flat-out tired of the whole charade.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/doug-ford-talks-taxes-transit-on-cbc-s-metro-morning-1.2785191

Tired yes, but not so tired to spin off a few Scooby worthy Ruh Roh?! statements. Doug, hardest working councilor, co-merryl, and all around greatest bro ever. Doug loves Toronto, but I'm not sure TO can take Doug's kind of "loving" that much longer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9tKwSboJeg

From the CBC interview this morning:

BenSpurr 7:54am via Twitter Web Client
Doug Ford says there were no kids with autism at the Griffin Centre. Some kind of misunderstanding, he says (??).

I guess Doug diagnosed the kids and found they were all faking it...

Another debate tonight, I wonder if Doug will try and get out of this one. Can't imagine he wants to take another pummelling from Ari. I hope Ari attends every single debate, someone needs to tell Doug the home truth and unfortunately Tory and Chow aren't willing or able to do it.

Don PeatVerified account
‏@reporterdonpeat
Today on the campaign trail: Mayoral candidates debate hosted by Bloor West Village & Swansea Area Ratepayers Associations at 7 p.m.

Doug's kinda stuck though - if he goes, he's going to get a pummelling, which he really doesn't like, but if he skips it again, Ari's almost certainly going to keep up the attacks, and Doug won't be there to try to defend himself / kick back at Ari. Then again, he's probably relying on the fact that CPtwentyford will undoubtedly fall over itself to give Doug time to get his digs in on there instead.

Doug's kinda stuck though - if he goes, he's going to get a pummelling, which he really doesn't like, but if he skips it again, Ari's almost certainly going to keep up the attacks, and Doug won't be there to try to defend himself / kick back at Ari. Then again, he's probably relying on the fact that CPtwentyford will undoubtedly fall over itself to give Doug time to get his digs in on there instead.

Looks Goldkind will only be giving a closing statement at this debate - Tory, Chow, Ford confirmed for the entire debate.

http://www.bwvra.ca/archives/538

Last edited:
Probably not.

Ummm. No rigidly organized Chicago Super-gangs here. Yet. Give it time.

Having lived in that delightful city in the late 80s-early 90s, the suicidal expansion of the GCA was already apparent. Cochrane was only lightly on the radar then. Blame Carma (now part of Brookfield) for the malaise you describe. They were building 'communities' NSWE. Everywhere. That said, I anticipate that Calgary will be a forerunner in a new kind of urbanism that the world will admire. Makes me wish I HAD bought that 4-storey building in Inglewood for 127 K and just settled there.

I wonder which 4 story in Inglewood? I'm guessing one of the bricked ones on 9th Ave?

Thanks for the response RE: TO. I haven't been there, and am trying to wrap my head around the "divide" between the Yokels and the normal thinking people. Here, the parasites all work and shop in Calgary, but claim it's a dangerous wasteland not fit for child raising, hence why they scurry back in their prolonged rush hour and pay their property taxes elsewhere.

Last edited:
Love the John Coltrane version with McCoy Tyner blazing the 88 from stem to stern and Elvin Jones doing what Elvin did. Free and modal, baby.

Ever come across a sentence where you just straight-up have no idea what the person is saying, but you know that it's a correct sentence nonetheless?

Ever come across a sentence where you just straight-up have no idea what the person is saying, but you know that it's a correct sentence nonetheless?

It helps if you are a bit of music nerd, Gavin. The "88" is a piano. "Modal" playing involves building different scales off the tones of a "parent" scale.

Fiorito has a great column today about the selfie and the street car accident:

"Folks — and this is how much he loves the people — he found the time to stop and grin and pose for a photo with a poor woman who somehow thought it was a good idea to stand and grin with him."

"To the voters of Etobicoke: folks, do not cast a vote for a man who would pose for a photo, grinning like a fool, when there is a dead person lying a few feet away.
That’s a sickness for which there is no cure."

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/10/03/a_sick_man_and_a_selfie_fiorito.html

I live in Scarborough, and it really is cliche' true in terms of how diverse it is. I once went on an informal driving tour of Scarborough, as in hopped in a car with a friend and just drove around. This place has everything from well hidden old money "mini" mansions, older smaller sized bungalows. Areas with a mix of detached homes, townhouses and apartments all within short distances of each other, industrial and some farmlands that in one case I know, is literally facing each other. And yes some at risk priority areas. Though the Scarborough bluffs and Rouge river areas are definitely my personal favourites. The main area of the bluffs however is a bit too crowded for my taste. There is another less well known and more relaxing spot of the bluffs near a bridge and a relatively known fishing spot.

And a lot of selection of pretty good food. :D

I feel I owe you an apology, Scarberian. Although I've never lived anywhere other than Wards 4 and 13, I got to know Scarborough pretty well through my work. Not as well as you of course, but I saw some nice places and met a lot of nice people there.

They say politics is local. I agree with that.

IIRC, I read that something like ten times the number of people voted for Rob Ford, as voted PM Harper. Does that make sense?

This election has brought out the worst in people. After all that Rob has put this city through, I find it amazing that Doug is doing so well in his ( almost literally last minute ) mayoral campaign.

Shame that a good guy like Soks who was in almost from the beginning had to drop out.

Jazz daddy-o.

I can thank my father for knowing exactly what hper meant. Time to cue up Frank Zappa's "Little house I used to live in" from the epic album "burnt weeny sandwich".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMTpSz6OVe8

P.S. Doug's done like dinner, he'll be lucky to get 15% of the vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back