279     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 428     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 808     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming Doug has no chance of winning, this means people can vote for Olivia and not have to vote for John just to keep Rob at bay. Olivia might just be the big winner here.

Two things people are forgetting about for any major campaign like this - You need lots and lots of money and a fantastic campaign team. Tory will have more money fund-raised to spend than Chow, and he has a much stronger campaign team than Chow.

I don't see Chow winning this.

It feels like she is only running because a lot of people asked her to. If she doesn't get elected I doubt she'll be heart broken about it.

Personally, I think Olivia, is just now coming into her own. She's passionate, knowledgeable and intelligent with a quiet confidence. She's smart enough to let Tory and Ford go toe to toe, speaking loud etc, and simply look on in bemusement as their testosterone takes off.

Dear God, was Olivia Chow always this useless? I don't live in the ward she represented, so I never paid all that much attention to her before, but I assumed there must have been something of substance behind her up-till-now successful career in politics. I'm beginning to suspect that "something" was her husband.

Let's recap: the Fords have just pulled one of the sleaziest political stunts in this city's history - that's not debatable, that's downright demonstrable - and when the current frontrunner correctly blasts them for it, Chow stupidly leaps to their defense because...why, exactly? Taking the so-called "high road?" Bullshit. There's nothing principled in sucking up to a corrupt family of con artists and grifters who also happen to be far right extremists, and who've dragged Toronto through mud for the past 4 years. Many of us here correctly deduced some variation on what was going to happen as the Sept. 12th deadline approached, and events played out pretty much as predicted. There's simply no excuse for professionals directly involved in the political scene to have not seen this coming, and there's even less justification for not calling the bastards out on it. This little episode is beyond the pale, even by the Fords' usual scumbag standards, and they need to be slammed for it. End of discussion.

But possibly she's looking at Tory as her biggest threat right now, and is simply responding accordingly? All right, fine, but surely there's a way to do that without sucking up to the #@$%& Fords! Or perhaps she still thinks there's a chance to peel off some of Slob 'N' Thug's base of loyal meatheads with this posturing? If so, that's even more misguided than adhering to a ridiculous high-minded ideal while your opponents approach Election Day as if politics were a blood sport.

I do not particularly care for John Tory, and I approached this election with the assumption I'd be voting for Olivia Chow. Now, I have nothing but contempt for Chow based on her snivelling, insipid "campaign" and a grudging respect for Tory. That may change, but I doubt it.
I don't think Olivia is cynical enough to believe that the Fords are pulling a scam. She lost her husband to cancer and all she can think about is Rob's family and health. Admirable for her to feel such compassion, but the Fords aren't normal. She doesn't know that yet, and I doubt anyone could convince her that this was all planned out. She probably can't imagine anyone being that manipulative.

I don't think Olivia is cynical enough to believe that the Fords are pulling a scam. She lost her husband to cancer and all she can think about is Rob's family and health. Admirable for her to feel such compassion, but the Fords aren't normal. She doesn't know that yet, and I doubt anyone could convince her that this was all planned out. She probably can't imagine anyone being that manipulative.

Tory on the other hand can safely go on the attack...

Tory: How come you know all this sh!t? You weren't even there.
Kouvalis: Cause it was my plan.

(Name the movie!)

I appreciate she's trying to be humane etc. but the idea that ... like, someone asked if she thinks Rob and Doug have the same values and she said she won't speculate until Doug makes his speech. Why is it a matter of SPECULATION? She can say no or yes or "They have a lot in common but I want to see what kind of campaign he intends to run..." but Rob said, in his statement, that Doug was picking up the torch for him. SPECULATION doesn't enter into the equation at all, so she may be trying to be "nice" but she just sounds non-commital, ineffectual and spineless.

I appreciate she's trying to be humane etc. but the idea that ... like, someone asked if she thinks Rob and Doug have the same values and she said she won't speculate until Doug makes his speech. Why is it a matter of SPECULATION? She can say no or yes or "They have a lot in common but I want to see what kind of campaign he intends to run..." but Rob said, in his statement, that Doug was picking up the torch for him. SPECULATION doesn't enter into the equation at all, so she may be trying to be "nice" but she just sounds non-commital, ineffectual and spineless.
Agreed. Her compassion is getting in the way. She's feeling sorry for Doug because she thinks his brother has cancer. She is coming across as compassionate but she's losing people who want her to put Doug in his place. When is she going to come out swinging? Has she decided to give them a few days? If ever she needed Warren Kinsella, it's now. It's getting bloody out there, fast.

Dear God, was Olivia Chow always this useless?

Run some older YouTube videos before she got the viral infection in her face. Since then she appears to be having problems expressing herself well at times and her English is not what it was. I doubt she'd have left her old job if she wasn't passionate about trying to get a new job.
With Rob out of the picture there will be no media frenzy around him so the three candidates will get fairer coverage now, so it's her's to win or lose. She's not financed as well as Doug or John, but she's not exactly running on a Karen Stintz budget either. Call Olivia the underdog. I love underdogs! I also love that I won't have to vote strategically anymore, I can vote for the candidate of my choice for Mayor.

Agreed. Her compassion is getting in the way. She's feeling sorry for Doug because she thinks his brother has cancer. She is coming across as compassionate but she's losing people who want her to put Doug in his place. When is she going to come out swinging? Has she decided to give them a few days? If ever she needed Warren Kinsella, it's now. It's getting bloody out there, fast.

Agreed. It's so clear that Chow is a follower, not a leader. She's never been a leader and I think people are seeing that now. Tory has proven he is a leader.

People bash John Tory for who he has running his campaign but the ones running his campaign know how to win and they know this election is a nasty fight. Tom Allison, Bob Richardson, John Capobianco and Nick Kouvalis are some of the top Tory campaign who know HOW to win. Chow doesn't have staff who are nearly as strong. It's clear Chow was told to be Ford-friendly today and Tory was told to come out Ford-friendly and then remind everyone that voting for mayoral candidate Doug Ford is bad news.

Last edited:
In all fairness, the Ford's have information we don't.

I don't doubt for a minute this is a malignant tumour. The preliminary biopsy results would be available quickly, there may be spots elsewhere (liver, lungs) that haven't been confirmed.

We should not assume that we know everything the Fords' do.

I don't have much good to say about their family, but I am more than prepared to put my cynicism aside on this. No one ever wants to face what they are facing right now.

i'm once again catching up, so maybe this has been covered but...

the fact that mt. sinai felt they had to ct rob's chest after seeing his abdominal ct, makes me think they may have seen something on the edge of the abdominal ct and needed the chest ct to get a better look. i.e. he has more than one mass.

Last edited:
GavinTheAlmighty said:
I wonder what's going to happen with FordFest given everything that went down.

As we know it takes place at the same time - imagine that - as the Mayoral Debate on LGBT issues. Connect the dots.

Last edited:
i'm once again catching up, so maybe this has been covered but...

the fact that mt. sinai felt they had to ct rob's chest after seeing his abdominal ct, makes me think they may have seen something on the edge of the abdominal ct and needed the chest ct to get a better look. i.e. he has more than one mass.
Maybe, but they like to cover everything while they are testing. No point in focusing on one tumour if there are more present. CT scans aren't the best for seeing smaller tumours. My husband had a couple of fairly large mets on his liver that never showed up in a CT scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back