427     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 808     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Vice:

"ROB FORD IS STEPPING DOWN SO DOUG FORD CAN DISCOVER HE CAN’T WIN AN ELECTION"

"So, Doug Ford has a mountain of bullshit to climb if he wants to plant the Ford Flag in the mayor’s office again. It seems like John Tory still has it in the bag, but you never know what kind of combination of secret videotapes, celebrity endorsements, and drug scandals could still emerge to tip the scales of the election. It’s too bad the more progressive candidates in the race have so far been unable to drum up anything resembling a fighting chance, but moreover, today is further evidence that Ford Nation is going up in flames."

http://www.vice.com/read/rob-ford-i...-win-an-election-449?utm_source=vicetwitterus

John Nunziata is running against Frank Di Giorgio? Wow....one Ford supporter running against the incumbent Ford apologist....

Here is my guess. During the first week of May, when Rob was supposedly off to rehab, the tumor was discovered during physical check-ups. All the running around to a couple of hospitals/clinics was to follow up on this discovery. The sighting at Tims was in between hospital visits. More follow up may have taken place while at Greenestone. The decision was made to go ahead with Rob's campaign but plan B where Doug takes over had always been a possibility in case Rob got caught in another stupor etc. The tumor may be benign but is growing quickly and now causing problems. Behind in the polls with more revelations about to hit the news, the Ford bros switch places and ensure Rob's place on council. They keep the the Ford name in the news at twice the rate and Doug's loss in Mayoral election is seen as small sacrifice because he really wants to be in Chicago anyway. (or Rob's tumor is malignant and his days are numbered!)

Chow seems to be grabbing at anything to reboot her campaign. She and her key staff know they are slipping in many wards all over the city. I said this many months ago that she does not seem like she truly wants to be mayor and it's really starting to show. John Tory, on the other hand, came out and controlled the whole room like he was already mayor and he reminded everyone he wants Rob Ford to get better but he really wants to become Toronto's next mayor aka reminding everyone Toronto residents still have to pick the next mayor and a Ford is not what the city needs.

Assuming Doug has no chance of winning, this means people can vote for Olivia and not have to vote for John just to keep Rob at bay. Olivia might just be the big winner here.

It's like Olivia's heart just isn't in it.

And the next question is: Is Doug's heart really in it? Does he REALLY want to be the Mayor of Toronto? If Chow is only running because people wanted her to, the same could be said for Doug.

If Doug's heart really isn't into it, how is that going to come across? I wonder if he will be able to convince anyone.

That makes sense. There's no indication that this anything other than a benign tumour. The doctor notes last night that it didn't appear to be the colon. There'd be little point pulling out now, to find one was okay in a week.

If nothing were to happen today, or even if Rob Ford was to simply pull out, then I guess this is just some bizarre medical timing. If based on the lack of diagnosis, Rob pulls out and Doug enters - or there's some bizarre candidate swap in Ward 2, then I'm going to be suspicious that there's some degree of staging to all this.

Boy, did you ever call it. (Late to the party,and this has likely been cited - still on this a.m. stuff - but Holy Mackinaw).

Dear God, was Olivia Chow always this useless? I don't live in the ward she represented, so I never paid all that much attention to her before, but I assumed there must have been something of substance behind her up-till-now successful career in politics. I'm beginning to suspect that "something" was her husband.

Let's recap: the Fords have just pulled one of the sleaziest political stunts in this city's history - that's not debatable, that's downright demonstrable - and when the current frontrunner correctly blasts them for it, Chow stupidly leaps to their defense because...why, exactly? Taking the so-called "high road?" Bullshit. There's nothing principled in sucking up to a corrupt family of con artists and grifters who also happen to be far right extremists, and who've dragged Toronto through mud for the past 4 years. Many of us here correctly deduced some variation on what was going to happen as the Sept. 12th deadline approached, and events played out pretty much as predicted. There's simply no excuse for professionals directly involved in the political scene to have not seen this coming, and there's even less justification for not calling the bastards out on it. This little episode is beyond the pale, even by the Fords' usual scumbag standards, and they need to be slammed for it. End of discussion.

But possibly she's looking at Tory as her biggest threat right now, and is simply responding accordingly? All right, fine, but surely there's a way to do that without sucking up to the #@$%& Fords! Or perhaps she still thinks there's a chance to peel off some of Slob 'N' Thug's base of loyal meatheads with this posturing? If so, that's even more misguided than adhering to a ridiculous high-minded ideal while your opponents approach Election Day as if politics were a blood sport.

I do not particularly care for John Tory, and I approached this election with the assumption I'd be voting for Olivia Chow. Now, I have nothing but contempt for Chow based on her snivelling, insipid "campaign" and a grudging respect for Tory. That may change, but I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back