376     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 585     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I think our mayor should reflect a healthy city. Doesn't have to be perfect of course. He/she should promote health, as being healthy is beneficial to the city! Promoting cycling, walking and such.

The leader of a organization/company/government must wear many hats. They need to be competent in their basic function of managing the organization, but they also set the tone on how you should act and what is acceptable. They need to set an example. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle, showing up for work everyday and interacting in a pleasant and cheerful manner is part of that.

Can you explain the deadline for a candidate to drop out? Also, how realistic is it for Doug to enter the campaign? Finally, can you explain the "rejection" of Olivia Chow?

Sure.

Tomorrow at 2 p.m. is the deadline for candidates to get ON the ballot. That means Doug Ford would have to sign up by tomorrow at 2 p.m. if he is going to run. He can't sub in for Rob in October or something. It's tomorrow or nothing.

Tomorrow at 2 p.m. is also the deadline to get OFF the ballot. So if Rob Ford doesn't want his name to appear on the ballot on Oct. 27, he has to withdraw by tomorrow.

HOWEVER: he could stay on the ballot - not do anything tomorrow - and then, if he wants, drop out of the race informally at a later date. This is common. The politician will say, "I'm leaving the race and ending my candidacy." Some confused/super-loyal people will still vote for them, but not many.

Also:

If Doug Ford does decide to run, does that mean all the fundraising earned for Ford will not be accessible to him?

That is a great question I don't know the answer to. I believe you're right - he wouldn't be able to seize that fundraising. But I'll check.

The leader of a organization/company/government must wear many hats. They need to be competent in their basic function of managing the organization, but they also set the tone on how you should act and what is acceptable. They need to set an example. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle, showing up for work everyday and interacting in a pleasant and cheerful manner is part of that.
I'm so glad I'm not alone in feeling this way! I was saying this as my number one reason to not vote for him in the last election, and people gave me weird looks.

Thanks, K. That's what I was too hesitant to say. Tory, Chow, Stintz, Soks and Ari all reflect that. And some are considerably older than Rob.

Also regarding Doug Sr's death by cancer. It is relevant of course, but it should also be remembered that he was considerably older than Rob is now.

For some reason I thought he was less than 10 years older than Rob is now, which isn't that much at all.

ETA: I realise my post could to be taken to seem like I was questioning Casita here - not at all, I was just expressing my surprise, for some reason I thought Doug sr had died in his early 50s.

Last edited:
Daniel Dale's answer to my question:

If Ford is out of the picture, are his supporters so loyal that they would refuse to vote for Chow or Tory?

Many of them are - many of them are non-voters who vote for Ford because they love Ford. Polls have shown that supporters of Chow and Tory have second-favourite candidates - usually the other - while Ford supporters are far more likely to say they have no second-favourite. If Ford isn't on the ballot, I expect much of his support base to stay away.

I guess they won't get out to vote for Mikey either then... I'm okay with that.

Zoe McKnight ‏@zoemck 5m
A woman visiting her mom at the hospital saw the mayor taken on a stretcher into an ambulance. Back door, away from reporters.

Zoe McKnight ‏@zoemck 3m
She said she's "100 per cent sure" it was the mayor. He was awake and alert, she said. She was upstairs and inside. He didn't wave back.

Yes, and also promoting the use of transit! While I don't expect them to always use it, they should at least once in a while. He just feels like he should be the mayor of some midwest town in the US with his gas guzzling SUV.

Exactly. I still use my car, but I love the TTC. Can't stand the aggravation of driving and parking in this city anymore. I also like to treat myself to a taxi sometimes. There's a Zip car station across the street, and I am thinking of joining that.

Transit is one of the things I like about visiting Europe.

Ford shows contempt for any transit that is not buried.

I would love something like this! It's in Germany. It's over 100 years old. Even survived the bombing in WW2.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuppertal_Suspension_Railway

In Towers defense I voted for Smitherman - and he turned out to be a train wreck at the Provincial level (after the fact). Who would have guessed that - in hind sight - Joey Pants would have turned out to be the best candidate of the 3...

Me. I supported Pants.

Exactly. I still use my car, but I love the TTC. Can't stand the aggravation of driving and parking in this city anymore. I also like to treat myself to a taxi sometimes. There's a Zip car station across the street, and I am thinking of joining that.

Transit is one of the things I like about visiting Europe.

Ford shows contempt for any transit that is not buried.

I would love something like this! It's in Germany. It's over 100 years old. Even survived the bombing in WW2.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuppertal_Suspension_Railway
They have transit like that in Japan too. I do wonder how much it costs them for maintenance.

Zoe McKnight ‏@zoemck 5m
A woman visiting her mom at the hospital saw the mayor taken on a stretcher into an ambulance. Back door, away from reporters.

Zoe McKnight ‏@zoemck 3m
She said she's "100 per cent sure" it was the mayor. He was awake and alert, she said. She was upstairs and inside. He didn't wave back.
I'm guessing he's going for surgery at another hospital.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back