463     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 611     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to have a mayor like Nenshi in Calgary and Tory is probably the closest thing to that. He has dealt with a flood and now a freak snow storm with class.

I think both Chow and Tory project the Class we expect from our Chief Magistrate...

I would think those people who can't get out of their own house would be considered morbidly obese, not someone who runs up stairs occasionally.

Probably more "Gilbert Grape" type calls in TO than the public is aware of. We used to call them shut-ins.

Which brings us back to the subject of "fat shaming". Of course it is insensitive, but is it relevant to the question of "fit for duty"?

Last edited:
Probably more "Gilbert Grape" type calls in TO than the public is aware of. We used to call them shut-ins.

Which brings us back to the subject of "fat shaming". Of course it is insensitive, but is it relevant to the question of "fit for duty"?
Personally I think our mayor should reflect a healthy city. Doesn't have to be perfect of course. He/she should promote health, as being healthy is beneficial to the city! Promoting cycling, walking and such.

Personally I think our mayor should reflect a healthy city. Doesn't have to be perfect of course. He/she should promote health, as being healthy is beneficial to the city! Promoting cycling, walking and such.

Not being in a state of drunken stupor would be small mercies. At the very least, not have that stupid scale in the office, milking the whole weight loss thing for all the publicity and then flunking the challenge. His weight isn't the issue.

AoD

Last edited:

That's a question Chris Christie also faced before his boondoggle on the New Jersey lane closures. Personally I could care less what a persons weight is, it's their ideas, values and ability to work with others to get stuff done that matters.....to me.

Daniel Dale's answer to my question:

If Ford is out of the picture, are his supporters so loyal that they would refuse to vote for Chow or Tory?

Many of them are - many of them are non-voters who vote for Ford because they love Ford. Polls have shown that supporters of Chow and Tory have second-favourite candidates - usually the other - while Ford supporters are far more likely to say they have no second-favourite. If Ford isn't on the ballot, I expect much of his support base to stay away.

I agree, majority will not vote.

Had a conversation with someone the other day. Two men where fixing something in her house, and the conversation turned to Ford. One guy (POC) says Ford's racist remarks are not an issue, will vote for him because he's "ghetto". The other guy says he will vote for him because he's an "average" guy. Both won't vote for Olivia because she's a woman who doesn't speak English.

I think the comments about Olivia disturb me the most. Welcome to Toronto in 2014. If anything, Ford has shown us what we're partly made up of, and it ain't pretty.

Interesting stuff on CT scans. They can provide a pretty good image.
However, they are worth 100-1000 normal x-rays, so they don't do them without cause.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-ray_computed_tomography

Yup, and children are especially sensitive to it. That said, if you got serious cancer, chances are you'd be looking at a CT every 3 months for the first two years post-treatment and every 6 months after that for three more. And MRI too, depending on where the tumour is located. Going to PMH is a really, really surreal thing.

AoD

Shawn Jeffords ‏@Shawn_Jeffords 18m
Doug Ford and several staffers have left the hospital. No comment to media. #TOpoli

No word on the future of the campaign I guess.

Thanks, K. That's what I was too hesitant to say. Tory, Chow, Stintz, Soks and Ari all reflect that. And some are considerably older than Rob.

Also regarding Doug Sr's death by cancer. It is relevant of course, but it should also be remembered that he was considerably older than Rob is now.
Yes, and also promoting the use of transit! While I don't expect them to always use it, they should at least once in a while. He just feels like he should be the mayor of some midwest town in the US with his gas guzzling SUV.

Interesting stuff on CT scans. They can provide a pretty good image.
However, they are worth 100-1000 normal x-rays, so they don't do them without cause.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-ray_computed_tomography
Cause doesn't have to be that big of a deal. I've had a few CT scans for "investigative" purposes.

And yeah, if you've had issues -- like Rob having had something removed a few years back -- you usually get follow-ups and repeat scans on a regular basis.

That's a question Chris Christie also faced before his boondoggle on the New Jersey lane closures. Personally I could care less what a persons weight is, it's their ideas, values and ability to work with others to get stuff done that matters.....to me.

Agreed. A person's weight is completely irrelevant. I have two very close friends who are amongst the most successful in their fields of law - both of whom are morbidly obese due to other health complications. It doesn't make them any less fit for their high profile and high importance jobs.

ETA: Both do lead healthy lifestyles, including walking frequently and going to the gym every day. You cannot necessarily judge the inside of a book by its cover.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back