475     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 514     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 514     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a Forum poll recently, and answered undecided. I'm only undecided because I'll throw my support behind whoever has the best chance of beating Ford leading up to the election.

They should poll the undecideds in regards to who they are waffling between. It would tell a story as to how likely it is that Ford is actually in the race. How many of this 17% are up for grabs for Ford? Probably not much. As it stands, Ford would need the majority of those people to vote for him to win.

Very interesting point...

I wouldn't be surprised if Rob was doing his canvassing and suddenly keeled over with some serious ailment.

I've been wondering about this: if the situation looks too bleak, whether the Fords will manufacture some kind of crisis to set up a "Saint Rob" narrative ("I tried, folks, I really tried---I worked too hard for you"), kicking the can down the road to 2018, rather than just seeing him crushed at the polls.

I've been wondering about this: if the situation looks too bleak, whether the Fords will manufacture some kind of crisis to set up a "Saint Rob" narrative ("I tried, folks, I really tried---I worked too hard for you"), kicking the can down the road to 2018, rather than just seeing him crushed at the polls.
He'll bring in a doctor's note to excuse him from the election. He'll feel better in a few months and take Mikey's councillor position.

Just a rallying point in time to bring some pressure to bear. Its not my baby but I'm trying to hype it. Nathan Phillips Square Sept 29. Try to counter the circus. I'll be coming from Muskoka and I hope to meet a lot of UTerus ( er autcorrect) Uters. A celebration of four more weeks til frod is gone. A play on their own stupid slogan and a chance to be doing something besides bitching on a board.

This day should be non partisan, I picture it as a "Rock the Vote" event. Our best bet to oust ford is to get previously non engaged individuals to vote. That and youth who are just aging into voting. Do students attending campuses in T.O. even know they can vote here? Youth traditionally votes left if they bother at all. I think there is a pent up desire to DO something, anything, to stop ford. This day can be a meet up for those people to meet those who know how best to direct thier efforts. Also it should go into evening to allow day workers to attend. The event can also act as a thank you for those who have been sitting in for months. New thread in Toronto Issues. Please sign up there. No more years!

if the situation looks too bleak, whether the Fords will manufacture some kind of crisis to set up a "Saint Rob" narrative

I'm hoping it will be like this in some constituents living room.

[video=youtube;QPCnykL_ct0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPCnykL_ct0[/video]

With a written request from Doug to the city to have the nearly $500 he already spent on the campaign refunded back to his account.

...thereby showing once again that he simnply cannot comprehend the concept of sunk costs. Perfect.

Ford math is amazing, isn't it? Both HRV and LRV cars need the same maint. and so do rails. LRV runs (usually above ground) don't suffer from staffing stations, safety features such as vent fans, to name a few things.

Additional costs of subway lines:
Drainage and pumping
Escalators
Accessibility (elevators, automated station doors, intercoms)
Security systems
Garbage collection
Tunnel rebuilding (like has been plaguing the Yonge line late nights for the last four years)
Heating
Lighting (both stations and tunnels)
Passenger notification systems (the platform TVs)
Complex signalling systems (outdoor lines generally don't have blind curves, and drivers are afforded a much greater view of their surroundings and potential threats)
WiFi (like is now at Bloor/Yonge and Bay stations)
Plumbing (washrooms, break rooms, etc.)
capital depreciation, insurance, other fixed costs.

Desmond Cole has some good ideas on this (here). My take is a bit less nuanced, there are a lot of people that have simply been ignored by government or been promised help that never came. So Ford, for them, is their Johnny Cash middle finger directed back at the system. No trust or competence required. In fact, lack of both is a bonus.

This link was posted a long time ago by another UTer, but I think it's worth reposting in the present context:
http://heatheremme.wordpress.com/2014/05/11/defending-or-at-least-explaining-ford-nation/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back