372     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 609     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is all getting convoluted because Jimmi has been rather vague of late.
But someone, a few pages back, mentioned a name and asked if Jimmi knew about it so I think he's just saying he can't find that name again but he didn't know of him. Leaves other questions unanswered.

i believe i threw out the name you are thinking of, but he wasn't murdered in 2010.

Looks like Rob Ford's transit plan is available a day early (PDF): http://www.robfordformayor.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Transit.pdf

32km for 9 billion? Yah right. At least he got the subway map right for the most part, the BD line actually goes to the STC, to bad it's still called the "Scarborough Subway". The Ford Compact should have been informed that the 3 stop "subway" is an extension of the BD line, a line that already exists in part inside Scarborough.

Does anybody have any idea where the Ford campaign came up with the estimates of building various sections the transit plan? The numbers in the doc look suspiciously low to me. I mean, Rob is saying you can connect Don Mills to McCowan for $1.8 million. But the distance doesn't seem shorter on his map than the BD extension, which is costing a lot more. Maybe he's not planning to build any stations. And how does he intend to tunnel under the Don Valley for $1.4 billion?

Looks like Rob Ford's transit plan is available a day early (PDF): http://www.robfordformayor.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Transit.pdf

Hmm, a few details seem to be missing from his plan-

He talks about the private sector kicking in some money. Really? Where's his list of companies that have agreed to that?

And cancelling the LRT? Isn't there a cancellation fee involved if that happens?

I could be wrong, but I had an idea that the maintenance cost for an LRT was going to be paid for by the province but Toronto
would have to pay the maintenance cost for a subway?

Referenced this in my previous post but had to go look it up:

It's a bit convoluted looking through all the motions and votes but it looks like Ford did vote FOR council's conditional approval of the Yonge subway extension plan (item Ex 28.01).
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/cc/minutes/2009-01-27-cc30-mn.htm

Hmmm. So, he votes for it in 2009 but in 2010 and in 2014, it's not in any of his plans? Where's the SUBWAYS SUBWAYS SUBWAYS! love??

Also amusing is motion 4: "...moved by Councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong (Carried)....The Toronto Transit Commission be requested to come up with a more inspiring name for the Downtown Rapid Transit Line that reflects the communities and neighbourhoods it will serve." Ford voted FOR which is why, five years later, his transit plan touts the INSPIRING "Yonge Relief Line."

Ford also voted FOR on Motion 5: "Metrolinx be requested to prioritize the Downtown Relief Line within its 15-year plan, noting that Transit City is the first priority for the Toronto Transit Commission and the City of Toronto."

Good times.

Telling that in Ford's detailed funding plan, he can only account for 2.5 billion of a 9 billion dollar spend for "phase 1."

And the rest is magic that depends on future agreements. I can just see Wynne and Harper banging down the door to talk to this asshole.

And selling assets that I assume are generating revenue sounds dumb too.

I wonder who will actually hold him to explaining how he really plans to do this.

Last edited:
Tory *isn't* very inspiring to me. Bland, yes. Wishy-washy, rather (pray for a good Council!). But a moderate, wouldn't you agree? Which might be what Toronto needs, to move on from Ford's divisive tenure. I get the feeling he might be able to work with Council instead of making a career of butting heads with them as an apparent matter of principle.

And a Toronto mayor who isn't likely to figure on the news and the late-night comedy shows here in the US - and who doesn't inspire 'selfie-fever' *gag* - might be rather a good thing... <----my understatement for the evening.
And he can speak. Has intelligence. And seems to have a grasp on reality. Not to mention, being a businessman, maybe has a clue on how to handle City Hall when it comes to spending money.

Ford`s most recent transit plan:

chriscaple 11:31pm via TweetDeck
.@ivortossell Attack it thus:

“Your numbers are fantasy. It'd cost at least double what you say. Property taxes would need to triple."

Ford`s most recent transit plan:

chriscaple 11:31pm via TweetDeck
.@ivortossell Attack it thus:

“Your numbers are fantasy. It'd cost at least double what you say. Property taxes would need to triple."

If it's taking 30 years to pay for three stops that replace the Scarborough SRT and not much more, Rob's Transit Plan on a Cocktail Napkin™ will take until our children's children's children have kids in college. As you were. This has no real meaning in the space-time continuum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back