376     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 609     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chow's initial support wouldn't all be described as progressive. There'd be many centrist liberal voters who knew her name and believed she was the best shot at defeating Ford. Although Tory is Conservative he does have a balanced history of involvement and support of good civic causes, so he could also be palatable to many of these people. Remember how Chow began her run? With the release of an autobiography, like a certain politician to the south. To my knowledge that didn't create much interest or buzz, so her campaign - and maybe her personal enthusiasm - may have began fading early from the way they had envisioned it going.

Remember that this release is just first-hand staff reports. There's still all the the shit that Ford said/did to his students when there weren't any grownups around. Maybe this will shake some more stories out of the tree.

Got to love the bit about bribing someone to keep the school open past closing time. Tells you the kind of people and kind of toolbasket they got. $20 anyone?

AoD

Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 9.09.06 AM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 9.09.06 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 9.09.06 AM.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 586
Got to love the bit about bribing someone to keep the school open past closing time. Tells you the kind of people and kind of toolbasket they got. $20 anyone?

AoD

"I understand, Mr. Custodian, you have to get home to your family and all that but maybe my friend Queen Victoria can help change your mind?"
"Sir, isn't that Queen Elizabeth..."
"I cannot comment on a Queen I have not seen or that may not exist. Are you taking the money or does my pal here have to open his bottle of bedbugs? Decide quick because if I can't get these kids to the scrimmage line in the next 5 minutes half of them will be joining gangs."

Another thing about Olivia Chow: just like with Jack's cancer, I wonder if there's more to her facial paralysis than she's letting on. (And unfortunately, she isn't handling it as deftly as Jack's cancer...or for that matter, *Chretien's* facial paralysis.)

TJO'PT:

You got to wonder now why people around him can be so reluctant to call him out. So we have someone who not only know the rules - but is willing to pay someone to break them. Excuse me if we shall engage in a bit of rule-breaking and refuse to acknowledge his rule, election or not.

AoD

The Star story mentions a slur against an Italian-Canadian -- "The mayor did not respond to questions posed to him at city hall. His campaign manager, Councillor Doug Ford, did not respond to a request to respond to the board spokesman’s allegation, in one of the documents, that he himself directed a “racial slur†and a threat toward Don Bosco Catholic Secondary School principal Ugo Rossi shortly before the mayor’s termination."

The Globe story mentions a slur against someone whose surname is Rodrigues -- "In another e-mail, Mr. Yan alleges Doug Ford also made a “blackmail attempt†against Mr. Rossi and a “racial slur†against Mr. Rodrigues."

I'm sure these pathetic thugs are up to date on *all* their old-school racist slurs.

Lucinda:

At this point in time, you'd be hard pressed to find a group he hasn't slurred against.

AoD

Agreed.

(I also agree with kbdid who wrote that it's nice to see Doug ensnared in all of this).

And is it just me, or does it seem that the school and the board did not do a great job of protecting the students and the integrity of the education system?

~~~

From the Star:

Asked why the board did not terminate Ford earlier, Yan said the events described by Rossi and Royiwsky were “isolated incidents” not brought to attention of senior board officials until the board launched its formal review after the Sun interview.

“A lot of these instances would have happened in isolation,” he said. “You’re reading it as a series of events. As they happened, they would have happened in isolation. The only reason we know about them and brought them together is because we did the review.”

He added: “You have to remember you’re dealing with the mayor of the fourth-largest jurisdiction in North America. Number two, he had been a volunteer coach for over a decade at the same school. And so, in any environment, whether it’s public or private, there is a process.”

The school board rejected the Star's freedom of information request in June of last year, arguing that Ford, a volunteer, was a "quasi" employee. The Star appealed to the provincial Information and Privacy Commissioner and won. Ford then registered an appeal of that decision, in April. But he didn't make any arguments, and the commissioner closed the file in August.

~~~

Last edited:
From Don Peat on Twitter, the Chief of Staff of the Mayor of Toronto sending out a letter about football equipment. Anyone who ever lets run through their mind the possibility that Towhey is some kind of hero for finally saying enough is enough when Ford wouldn't resign and tried to hold a pizza party should keep a copy of this letter and the ITO handy...

https://twitter.com/reporterdonpeat/status/504982141948928000/photo/1

It's sincerely fascinating that Ford keeps going on about how he's never wasted taxpayer $ when his staff were repeatedly and obviously doing personal things on city time. Or am I to believe that Towhey, who was making close to $200K IIRC, had nothing better to do on his free time than look out for those minorities at Bosco?

Lucinda:

They are right there is a process - and it seems that the process is slow and borderline useless (until the bad press hits home). Ironically, they also have a process for restricting info from getting into public light - and they are pretty efficient at it. Makes you wonder whether the process is about protecting the board or protecting students.

AoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back