756     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 572     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reporter Don is on a roll today...

Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 3.58.11 PM.jpg

<rimshot> Thank you, thank you, ladies and germs. I'll be here all week.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 3.58.11 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 3.58.11 PM.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 663

"In general terms, if the reasons that your client is unhappy with the order or decision fall into the following categories, there may be grounds for
judicial review:

I. there was no "jurisdiction" or authority to decide the issue;
II. the process was unfair; or
III. the decision did not logically flow from the information or was irrational."

Sounds to me like the best RoFo can hope for is to delay release of the info. I can't see how any of the above could apply in this case.

Yet another case of someone who is utterly unwilling to play by the rules turning to them when in need. No thanks, he needed a dose of his own medicine.

This. This 100 times. The only thing here more noteworthy than this self-serving hypocrite constantly flouting the rules and breaking every law that's inconvenient to him is his turning on a dime and running, shrieking and shitting his pants, to the rule of law for protection whenever he needs it. Though more noteworthy still is the fact that every other person in a position of power in this spineless city is willing to indulge him, and to a degree that just looks insane to any outside witness. Why in hell is the TCDSB going along with this?

Edited to say: Never mind, SFO pretty much answered my question just above.

My guess is it's info that will reflect badly on TCDSB as well, perhaps a situation they let fester for too long before taking action.

Last edited:
This. This 100 times. The only thing here more noteworthy than this self-serving hypocrite constantly flouting the rules and breaking every law that's inconvenient to him is his turning on a dime and running, shrieking and shitting his pants, to the rule of law for protection whenever he needs it. Though more noteworthy still is the fact that every other person in a position of power in this spineless city is willing to indulge him, and to a degree that just looks insane to any outside witness. Why in hell is the TCDSB going along with this?

Edited to say: Never mind, SFO pretty much answered my question just above.

It's especially rich when Rob covers his ass with his own personal Never Never Land rule of law: "I can't talk about it, guys, it's before the courts."

It's especially rich when Rob covers his ass with his own personal Never Never Land rule of law: "I can't talk about it, guys, it's before the courts."

Something I've wondered about, if King Rob is actually in court and speaking, whether that's because of the subpoena (where is that thing now anyway) or something else. Would he actually blurt that line out of sheer habit, even if he was in actual court. "This court is political! I've saved a billion racoons! It's in the past, the past is not perfect, the court can do whatever they want, I'm moving forward, anything else?"

I'll be even more blunt, though I'm certainly not a lawyer. Could Rofo have a plausible case if he claims he's mentally incompetent for matters of the court? Even if technically he wasn't and just using it as a cowards way out, his suspected continued abuse of drugs and alcohol could make it a reality.

Here is my opinion of this phantom poll...
R Ford's numbers have not increased drastically they are are still somewhere around 25% (This is based on the 18% Ford Nation + transient strength)
Chow numbers have dropped precipitously (she has been in free fall in the last three polls) to sit somewhere around 20%
Tory's number has eroded (due to the TTC Staff report and lack of clarity on transit outside of Smart Track) to somewhere around 24%
What I think is making a difference is Soknacki rising with the makings of a four person race and I believe he is polling at 13% or higher.
With undecideds at about 18%

The great mystery of this campaign is where this woman went:

[video=youtube;e9m7i21CJ_w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9m7i21CJ_w[/video]

I fear her heart is just not in the campaign, for reasons that have yet to be revealed.

"In general terms, if the reasons that your client is unhappy with the order or decision fall into the following categories, there may be grounds for
judicial review:

I. there was no "jurisdiction" or authority to decide the issue;
II. the process was unfair; or
III. the decision did not logically flow from the information or was irrational."

Sounds to me like the best RoFo can hope for is to delay release of the info. I can't see how any of the above could apply in this case.

Yes. For #1 there could not possibly be serious doubt that the IPC tribunal can rule on a FOI request. Since the Star was the applicant, and can well afford skilled counsel, it is implausible that #2 (so-called breach of the rules of natural justice) would have been allowed to occur. As to #3, since the issue raised by the TCDSB was whether Ford was a quasi-employee, the facts regarding his actual status (such as a complete lack of any of the indicia of a employer-employee relationship) should have been simple enough and the test of being irrational is not met unless a decision is utterly perverse.

Really? What is unpalatable about Chow and Tory? You know that word means "intolerable, can't stand it, yuck!" -- sounds much more like a word for Mayor Cracky McDrunkard.

Well, yeah, obviously, in the sense that a dried-up dog turd on a string would be more palatable than Ford. Compared to him, Chow and Tory come off looking good. (That goes without saying!) On their own merits, it's considerably less so, and much of that is due to the chickenshit milquetoast approach they've adopted when dealing with Mayor Pigface Asshole McThug. He badly needs to have his ass kicked repeatedly, on a regular basis, and meanwhile, they're acting as if politics is some delightful bit of frippery one learns at finishing school over tea and watercress sandwiches. On a more immediate level, it makes it look like they expect to be crowned King/Queen without really having to fight for it, and that is some dangerous self-delusion right there. And it would be under normal circumstances, never mind when they're supposed to be opposing a lying, cheating, vicious street fighter like Rofo and his criminal family.

Tory and Chow ARE much more preferable to Ford's previous opponents. And Ford is much LESS appealing to soft middle voters who in 2010 thought "well... why not cut some waste? It couldn't hurt, we'll try it for 4 years. How bad could it be? It's only municipal level, anyways, no big deal." Well, now they know how bad it can be!

That was the assumption, and don't get me wrong: I hope you're right. But the utter refusal of anyone to stand up to the Fords is getting too God damned demoralizing for some of us, and this could have an effect that's the opposite of what you're suggesting. If Chow and Tory are too refined to stain their dainty hands when dealing with Rofo, it undermines them and whatever case they're hoping to make.

Yes it's too bad that Chow's campaign lacks energy and enthusiasm, but there's still time. The batch of people who voted for Ford last time just to "try it" and not because they are Ford Nationites don't want to do it now, all that needs to be done is to determine which opponent is the front-runner 2 weeks before the election and then channel all our energy into getting those people to go out and vote for that candidate (they weren't going to vote for Ford anyways, but we don't want them to go the apathy route and just stay home on voting day).

Time is rapidly running out. Chow had better pull her thumb out of her ass soon, and I say that as someone who had planned to vote for her. Sigh. This is depressing the hell out of me, so I'll cut it off right here.

I'll be even more blunt, though I'm certainly not a lawyer. Could Rofo have a plausible case if he claims he's mentally incompetent for matters of the court? Even if technically he wasn't and just using it as a cowards way out, his suspected continued abuse of drugs and alcohol could make it a reality.

If he were to be charged with a criminal offence the issue could be raised as to whether he was fit (incluiding mentally competent) to stand trial. If the court believed that there was any reason to look into that he would be examined by experts who would then testify as to their conclusions and the court would decide. Not gonna' happen unless Robbie gets up into the Old City Hall clock tower with guns and ammo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back