815     1 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 726     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 565     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
FFS - just release it. What are they going to do? Sue? Let them sue (and suing a taxpayer funded org. at that) in light of that damning report.

AoD

Tell the IPC that he will be applying for judicial review of the IPC's decision by the Divisional Court. Even though Ford may have no meritorious grounds of review, if he acts quickly enough he may be able to forestall the release of the info in the meantime. Even a baseless judicial review application would take months before being dismissed, getting Ford past the election date. When people ask what he has got to hide he will be free to spout whatever horse shit he wants (the info is all lies, blah, blah, blah), since only the IPC, Ford and the TCDSB know what it is and they won't disclose the info if there is a judicial review application pending.

ETA: It is possible that he was extra late getting back from the lunch break today because he was at Tighe's office dealing with applying for judicial review. (Tighe is the far more likely candidate to act on that sort of case than Morris.)

Whatthe... Does Divisional Court have a right to decline hearing the appeal, like an appeal court, or is it a given?

No. A party (in this case, Ford is a party as an intervenor in the Star's application to the IPC) does not need leave to apply for judicial review of a decision of a government tribunal such as the IPC. (Some appeals can be launched as of right; some can only be brought with leave - which can be refused; but in either event judicial review is not the same thing as an appeal of a court's decision.)

ETA: Sorry Cooper. You hardly need to be told the stuff in parentheses! I put it in for general info.

Last edited:
@goldsbie
Mayor reemerges from office smellng as though he’d “bathed in cologne,” as one reporter put it.

And what "didn't" he say when asked about missing the report on Lobbyists in council today - why was he so upset - sounded like he would be in support of it by his dialog.

Can someone explain to me the collective hard on for socknacki on this thread?

Speaking for myself he's my favorite candidate which is whack cause I'm a pink diaper baby. Chow's lackluster performance is disheartening for us on the left. However we are afraid of Socknacki's ability to vote split and leave ford out front. I loved Ralph Nader too but look what happened there.full disclosure I can't vote in T.O. ( live in Muskoka. nearly a suburb )

Got to love how Doug seem to have no idea what Rob is up to whenever the goings get tough - and yet seem to know everything else about him when it's all hunky dory.

AoD

Thugo, best camping manager ever, best brother ever, Thug probably should've went with a biblical quote since they seem to be all about Jesus and hail Marys lately. "Where's Rob? How should I know?! What, am I my brother's keeper or something? You're biased!"

Today in history...

Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 3.33.27 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 3.33.27 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 3.33.27 PM.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 685
No. An applicant does not need leave to apply for judicial review of the decision of a government tribunal such as the IPC. (Some appeals can be launched as of right; some are can only be brought with leave - which can be refused; but in either event judicial review is not the same thing as an appeal of a court's decision.)

ETA: Sorry Cooper. You hardly need to be told the stuff in parentheses! I put it in for general info.

Thanks, Pud. Even for the parenthetical comments. (I feel a little dense for confusing an appeal with a judicial review in the first place.)

It is possible that he was extra late getting back from the lunch break today because he was at Tighe's office dealing with applying for judicial review. (Tighe is the far more likely candidate to act on that sort of case than Morris.)

That would be my guess. I doubt we'll be getting a new bundle of RoFo info any time soon. Too bad.

That would be my guess. I doubt we'll be getting a new bundle of RoFo info any time soon. Too bad.

And since the TCDSB came up with a BS reason to try to refuse releasing the info in the first place (thus precipitating the Star's application to the IPC), we can be pretty confident that the TCDSB will be happy to take any and every excuse not to obey the IPC's order (i.e., a mere telephone call from Ford's lawyer to whomever represented the TCDSB at the IPC hearing saying the Ford is going to exercise his right to seek judicial review and it would be shocking, shocking, if Ford's right to seek truth and justice was rendered moot by the info being released in the meantime).

Tell the IPC that he will be applying for judicial review of the IPC's decision by the Divisional Court. Even though Ford may have no meritorious grounds of review, if he acts quickly enough he may be able to forestall the release of the info in the meantime. Even a baseless judicial review application would take months before being dismissed, getting Ford past the election date. When people ask what he has got to hide he will be free to spout whatever horse shit he wants (the info is all lies, blah, blah, blah), since only the IPC, Ford and the TCDSB know what it is and they won't disclose the info if there is a judicial review application pending.

ETA: It is possible that he was extra late getting back from the lunch break today because he was at Tighe's office dealing with applying for judicial review. (Tighe is the far more likely candidate to act on that sort of case than Morris.)

Yet another case of someone who is utterly unwilling to play by the rules turning to them when in need. No thanks, he needed a dose of his own medicine.

AoD

Whatthe... Does Divisional Court have a right to decline hearing the appeal, like an appeal court, or is it a given?

It's not my area of law (thank Gawd) but I'm almost positive they have to hear the judicial review application if filed.

ETA: No worries Cooper - even I, a lawyer, wrote appeal rather than judicial review...

Last edited:
And since the TCDSB came up with a BS reason to try to refuse releasing the info in the first place (thus precipitating the Star's application to the IPC), we can be pretty confident that the TCDSB will be happy to take any and every excuse not to obey the IPC's order (i.e., a mere telephone call from Ford's lawyer to whomever represented the TCDSB at the IPC hearing saying the Ford is going to exercise his right to seek judicial review and it would be shocking, shocking, if Ford's right to seek truth and justice was rendered moot by the info being released in the meantime).

My guess is it's info that will reflect badly on TCDSB as well, perhaps a situation they let fester for too long before taking action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back