559     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 646     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been told by people who work at City Hall and attend council meetings that they think he usually just glances at whoever puts forth the motion and votes based on whether he likes them or not. And given his relationship with most of council, that means he'll default "no" in almost any situation. Even the majority of his own appointments to executive committee are now considered his enemies.
Daniel Dale said Ford usually votes yes for most things but it's the no votes that get the attention.

Hmmm. Was this posted here?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com//new...ord/article19801309/?cmpid=rss1&click=dlvr.it

A Toronto man has been charged after police say an online post urged people to throw food at Mayor Rob Ford during a party in a city park.

Police say they became aware Thursday of an Internet post on a Toronto-based website that referred to the annual “Ford Fest” event to be held the following day at an east-end park.

Police say Dilaz Rajwani, 37, turned himself in on Friday afternoon, and is charged with counselling an uncommitted indictable offence.

He is scheduled to appear in court on Sept. 3.

Hundreds of supporters and a handful of protesters showed up for Friday evening’s party, where the mayor shook hands, posed for pictures and signed autographs.

Daniel Dale said Ford usually votes yes for most things but it's the no votes that get the attention.

Here's his record as mayor to end-May 2014:

There were 6,785 votes and Rob missed 1,378 (80% attendance). Of the 5,407 where he did vote, Ford agreed with council 78% of the time.

When a motion is carried and Rob is there to vote:
Rob votes Yes: 3,813 (79%)
Rob votes No: 1,025 (21%)

When a motion fails and Rob is there to vote:
Rob votes Yes: 176 (31%)
Rob votes No: 393 (69%)

In contrast, Mary Margaret McMahon has a 96% attendance rate and votes with the majority 92% of the time.

Even Stephen / July 6, 2014 at 11:24 pm

July 29th theres free beer for anyone who throws eggs or tomatos at rob ford in thompson park. Thats right, Citizens For Fairness is a Toronto group promoting ethical and non-violent means of getting corrupt politicians to step-down. On July 29th you will have a choice of Stella, Steam Whistle or Keiths for throwing eggs or tomatoes at rob ford. We ask people not to boil the eggs and also fresh tomatoes, not frozen or unripe. If anyone hits rob ford and his gang of idiots, you will get a 6-pack and a tshirt saying "I Jammed rob ford". Join us on July 29th and God bless toronto rob ford dies or runs away soon. Amen.

This would appear to be the post - a comment on a blogto story that has since been deleted (yet again, evvabeing's digital hoarding proves useful).

ETA: It makes sense - after getting injured by a smoothie that didn't hit him, he's now getting crippled by purely imagined projectiles. While throwing shit at, near or around politicians is never cool, this seems like a drastic response. Anyone need to go back and edit their comment histories?

Last edited:
A triumvirate of jackasses.

untitled.jpg

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 746
Better watch what you say, AoD. Don`t want to spend a night in jail. :mad:

Har har, at 300lbs the threat to his security isn't from food thrown at him, it is from the substances ingested, smoked or snorted. Oh and let's not forget that burger and fries as deadly weapon episode:

For no apparent reason, Ford turns on Bellissimo and hits him squarely in the face twice — boom, boom — forgetting that he has a bagful of Big Macs in his hand. Burgers and fries scatter. Ford makes Bellissimo pick them up.

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2014/05/09/rob_ford_one_wild_night_in_march.html

Charges pending.

AoD

Last edited:
I didn't know that counselling to throw food, which wasn't actually thrown, was something you could be charged with. Amazing how they get this guy but Rob drives drunk for years and is never charged with anything.

Yeah, if someone threw something and said some guy on the net told them to, I could see the police charging them maybe on principle. But since nothing happened and since it's such a minor thing (as opposed to say, saying someone should throw a rock or worse), it's baffling. And very bad optics as long as that Banerjee guy is uncharged while there is undeniable photographic evidence of him committing assault out there for anyone to see.

At least it wasn't something on this board but it's a bit strange any way you slice it. (And I like how someone who posts a comment on BlogTO is a "blogger" to the Canadian Press. I guess it's like 1997 and they're still wrapping their heads around this Internet thing.)

You have nothing to apologize for, Casita. People talk about, or used to talk about, 'Don Millionaires', 'West Hillbillies', 'North Yokels', 'Wrexford', etc. Especially if you were playing competitive hockey (MTHL at the time). 'Scarborough Suitcase' is as much of a denigration as 'Kenora Dinner Jacket' is for anyone wearing plaid and kodiaks. It's part of the 'rich tapestry of Toronto' fergawdsakes. If you don't know it, you maybe haven't been here. So, please, lighten up.

Is 'Scarborough suitcase' a term for a shopping bag? Just curious because I know of a similar expression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back