4.9K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 699     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that you should mention Smitherman - as much as I dislike him, you do have to admit he has a far, far better track record of staying sober and away from run-ins with the law - and the Ford supporters were quite eager to point out his record of drug use at the time. There is a certain irony in that.

Yes, it was quite the contrast. Smitherman was open about his previous drug use, while Ford lied about everything. For example, he denied being drunk on a drunken call to Kyle Rae. Also said he hadn't smoked pot in 25 years. (see Rob Ford's Complicated Life in the Star - sorry, device won't paste link)

The real problem with 2010 was how weak the field was. Smitherman was smart and dangerous, Ford seemed merely stupid and harmless by comparison. I can see how people were willing to overlook his shortcomings at the time when the choices were so limited.

hmmm, surgery next week - follow up treatment from the spahab injury (kicking a wall and/or crashing McRobb's car)?

Considering how glued Marier was to Ford right up until the newspaper article, w/out his leash Ford will relapse in 3, 2...

People that speculate if Rub falls off the wagon he'll be dead shortly are woefully unversed as far as addictions are concerned. Many addicts live long productive lives while ingesting copious volumes of drugs and alcohol.

A recent case in point, one of my favorite guitarists and a guy I met on 2 occasions just passed away at 70, Johnny Winter.

He had a terrible heroin problem in the early seventies, went to rehab for 9 months and was back on it within days, a few years later he kicked for good but was still drinking a quart + of booze a day and was on methadone for almost 30 years. He was also on a huge number of other "legal" drugs for more than a decade, starting in the 80's, they included antidepressants and huge volumes of klonopin and risperdal while still drinking like a fish, if you saw him in the late 80's to mid 90's you'd see the terrible effect it had on him. He finally got clean in the early 2000's and while not foresaking drink still managed to play better than most.

RIP Johnny, you'll be missed.

Oh yes! Nirvana unplugged is the choice music for today thanks to this !!
I wanted to post a credit after the verse, but apparently it's not known who actually wrote the song, dates back to the late 1800s!

Ford calls Warmington from the hospital.

"Surgery is amazing. I had the best surgery ever!"

coffeescreen.gif

Did anyone see that recent Nurse Jackie episode where after completing rehab, and convincing everyone she was clean and sober, Jackie got her boss to accidentally run over her foot and then prescribe her pain meds so that if there were a drug test there was a reason why she had narcotics in her system? Anybody? I have no idea what made me think of that plotline today. No idea at all. It's funny the things that pop into your head...

Yep, Nurse Jackie pretty accurately shows what addiction is like for a lot of people, great series, she'll be paying the piper come next season, should be a blast!

Last edited:
People that speculate if Rub falls off the wagon he'll be dead shortly are woefully unversed as far as addictions are concerned. Many addicts live long productive lives while ingesting copious volumes of drugs and alcohol.

It's not really fair to compare RoFo's use to Johnny Winters. You don't see any people who are 300+ pounds smoking crack cocaine into their 70's.

I would agree that alcoholics can live to ripe old ages. Rob Ford is not a simple alcoholic. He has some other factors that put him high on the overdose risk factor. He is a polydrug/"garbage can" user. He has admitted to alcohol stupors (downers) being a gateway to crack (upper). He goes on benders/binges. He's morbidly obese. He's in his mid-40's and has been smoking crack for at least 8 years. He'll likely be using alone since he has to keep things on the QT. He may have tolerance changes after lowering or ceasing his use since rehab. He doesn't think he has a problem. He is surrounded by enablers and shady characters.

Last edited:

oh casita, I have to tell you... that's not even close to problematic compared to what I'm used to. There has been such an outbreak of assholitis in the parking lot I use for work the last few months. Every day there are 2 or 3 cars taking up 2 spots. Not just a little close -- smack in the middle. It started out of nowhere and spread like a virus. :mad: There aren't any painted lines because the lot is not paved, but there are those concrete parking bumpers which clearly define where one is supposed to be. I've left a few notes but I don't think it does any good. :(

oh casita, I have to tell you... that's not even close to problematic compared to what I'm used to. There has been such an outbreak of assholitis in the parking lot I use for work the last few months. Every day there are 2 or 3 cars taking up 2 spots. Not just a little close -- smack in the middle. It started out of nowhere and spread like a virus. :mad: There aren't any painted lines because the lot is not paved, but there are those concrete parking bumpers which clearly define where one is supposed to be. I've left a few notes but I don't think it does any good. :(

Possibly your notes have been too subtle, try the following: "I've seen cars parked like yours get keyed....just sayin".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back