5.1K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 714     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd guess that the media is so compliant because significant chunks of it - CP24, CTV, The Sun, CFRB especially, but really most of the broadcast media - want to capture Ford's suburban, working middle-class, family-based demographic. Their "action news working for you" populist approach meshes with the Fords' use of petty annoyances and respect for taxpayers self-mythologizing. Same dynamic with Tory and Stintz, whose strategy depends on appealing to Ford voters, and who won't say anything, even as Ford Nation rapidly shrinks, that challenges the beliefs that led to Ford's success.

I'd love for one reporter to ask Doug "If Rob needed rehab why not your sister, she was smoking crack with him and obviously still has substance abuse issues"

Someone should compile a list of important questions from the board that Ford should be asked when he sits down with journalists upon his return (assuming he ever does, but he might have to play ball a little if the "rehab" return doesn't give him the bounce in the polls he is expecting). This list should be sent to every respectable journalist.

Last edited:
Someone should compile a list of important questions from the board that Ford should be asked when he sits down with journalists upon his return (assuming he ever does, but he might have to play ball a little if the "rehab" return doesn't give him the bounce in the polls he is expecting). This list should be sent to every respectable journalist.

First question: What was the date you actually arrived at Greenestone, and what day did you leave/were kicked out?
He won't actually answer, but that question needs to be asked. *my money is on Timmies sighting day (May 7th, the plane to Chicago was May 1st, so we are already missing a 'treatment' week) going in and within the week following the Escalade impound (May 20th), getting kicked out so maybe 3 weeks total rehab.*

The next several need to be asking about the stuff that all came out at once just before he 'left' and if he is prepared to personally apologize to each of the people he needs to.. look for another round of "it's in the past, there is nothing I can do about the past..."

NOTHING WILL HAVE CHANGED.

ETA: The terminology fits Israel, which has a civil code type of system that is more inquisitorial and sees a civil claim as something more like a charge. it is plausible that an Isreali reporter without legal training could come to the false conclusion that a mere statement by the Crown is some sort of official report and leap to the false conclusion that it could result in McIntyre's suit being ended.

This is my thinking, too. The government is a respondent in this case and has filed a statement of defence. I think the Israeli journo (and apparently, Warmington, though he ought to know better) have mistaken this routine step as some kind judgment, rather than a simple statement of the government's version of events.

Last edited:
It's been almost a week since a Ford photo showed up on Instagram. I think someone got in big trouble when twitter went haywire with the photos on Tuesday (Wednesday?) :D

Also:
Screen Shot 2014-06-21 at 3.54.08 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-06-21 at 3.56.55 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-21 at 3.54.08 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-06-21 at 3.54.08 PM.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 847
  • Screen Shot 2014-06-21 at 3.56.55 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-06-21 at 3.56.55 PM.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 827
Last edited:
Ombudsman Andre Marin, whose office provides oversight over most provincial ministries and polices Ontario’s open-meetings law for civic councils, came armed with some audio-visual aids.

“Boom, boom, boom,†he said to group at a London hotel, flashing headshots of controversial figures like Joe Fontana and Toronto Mayor Rob Ford on the screen.

Marin said the Ontario Municipal Act should be changed so mayors convicted of criminal offences, like Fontana, can’t remain in office. Only if they do jail time are civic politicians automatically disqualified from holding office.

“Do you want a criminal running city council?,†asked Marin. “I mean, what’s next: Hells Angels? It’s just a matter of plain common sense.â€

http://www.lfpress.com/2014/06/20/andre-marins-presentation-took-jabs-at-londons-city-council

Right now, Toronto maintains a city debt of nearly $4 billion.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/...policy-in-toronto-mayoral-race/article/387257

does anyone know how much toronto's net debt was for 2013?

here's what it was for 2012, and some other relevant info...

Rob Ford says he’s reducing the city’s debt, when in fact, the opposite is true

“I’ll not pass the debt onto your kids or onto your grandkids,†he told the lunchtime crowd in the club’s dining room. “We are dealing with debt that has just been accumulating year after year after year after year. Well, folks, I can assure you, I’m taking the bull by the horns, and we are dealing with the debt.

“Over the next 10 years,†he said, “we are reducing our city debt by over $804-million.†That would be nice if it were true. The facts say otherwise. Finance officials report that the city’s net debt stood at $2.3-billion at the end of 2012. Under the latest 10-year budget projections, it is set to rise to $4.2-billion by 2018, then start falling and settle at $3-billion in 2023. In other words, Toronto is increasing its net debt by $700-million over 10 years, not reducing it by $800-million.

[...]

Mr. Ford is right to take the new approach. But reducing borrowing is not the same as reducing debt. If you decide to use your credit card less, it is not the same as paying down your credit-card balance.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...in-fact-the-opposite-is-true/article14061569/

City of Toronto’s debt grows under Mayor Rob Ford

The City of Toronto has gone deeper into debt under Mayor Rob Ford.

The city’s net long-term debt grew by about $800 million in Ford’s first two years of office, 2011 and 2012.

As of the end of 2012, it stood at $3.7 billion, compared with $2.9 billion at the end of 2010, former mayor David Miller’s last year in office.

http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/733453/city-of-torontos-debt-grows-under-mayor-rob-ford/

All the more reason to ask, he lies constantly and airing those lies just puts more nails in the Ford coffin.

I think the reporters are intimidated by him and feel he might physically assault them if they ask very pointed questions.

Remember he charged someone in the gallery at City Hall, it's not a stretch to imagine him or his fucked up brother to lash out when pushed to the wall, sadly the reporters just won't do it.

He won't speak to the ones who are "after" him. Now that the provincial election is over, Proskow should be back. He and Dale weren't backing down from him before he left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back