586     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 903     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Majority of Toronto likes Ford's policies: Poll
By Don Peat ,City Hall Bureau Chief

TORONTO - When it comes to some issues,Toronto, your Mayor Rob Ford is showing.

According to a new Forum Research poll, more than half of Toronto residents want to scrap the city’s land transfer tax, license cyclists, contract out cleaners, toss out the plastic bag tax and support a subway-based transit plan.

The Forum poll conducted Wednesday found 61% of Toronto residents approve of ending the city’s land transfer tax and licensing cyclists so that traffic laws can be enforced on them.

Ford campaigned on abolishing the land transfer tax but has yet to make any progress on dropping it from the city’s books.

Among those surveyed, support has grown since a Forum poll last month for a subway-based transit plan with 60% now in favour of the idea rather than 36% who favour a transit system based on LRTs.

Around 58% of those surveyed support the idea of contracting out cleaning in some city offices. Ford’s administration has been pushing the idea since taking office but suffered a setback last week when council demanded all cleaning contracts require council’s final approval.

Respondents were also asked if they support tossing out Toronto’s 5-cent plastic bag fee, around 51% approved of that idea. Ford has vowed to bring that issue to council at some point this year.

Forum Research president Lorne Bozinoff said the poll results are encouraging for the mayor because among his fans support for these issues goes through the roof.

“He’s on the right side of most of the issues that we asked about and that’s where you want to be, you want to be on the right side of the issues and you don’t want to share that with anybody,” Bozinoff said.

The poll also found 52% of those surveyed disapprove of the idea of contracting out the city’s crossing guards.

The Forum poll was an interactive voice response telephone survey of 812 Toronto residents and is considered accurate plus or minus 3.4%, 19 times out of 20.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/19/majority-of-toronto-likes-fords-policies-poll

More from the same poll...

Mayor Ford's popularity growing again: Poll
By Don Peat ,City Hall Bureau Chief
First posted: Friday, April 20, 2012 04:00 AM EDT

TORONTO - Torontonians are slowly approving of Mayor Rob Ford again.

A new Forum Research poll released exclusively to the Toronto Sun Thursday finds around 47% of Toronto residents approve of the job Ford is doing — up from 41% a month ago. But around 53% of those polled disapprove of the job Ford is doing.

“He’s back from the dead,” Forum president Lorne Bozinoff said Thursday. “People were saying he’s finished but no he’s back on the come back trail.”

Bozinoff said Ford’s approval rating is now at its highest point since it plummeted last summer and into the fall.

“I think he is actually in a good position because he can now campaign against council,” he said. “People say he lost control of council, that might be a good thing ... he can say look what they are doing, I need more support.”

The poll also asked residents about three three-way match-ups Ford could face in his 2014 re-election battle.

All three hypothetical races show Ford could walk away with a win provided he’s one of three strong candidates in any mayoralty race.

“If he’s facing a three-way split, he’s on easy street,” Bozinoff said.

If Ford had to face Councillors Adam Vaughan and Shelley Carroll in a race he would beat them both. Ford would come away with around 40% of the vote compared to 29% for Vaughan and 13% for Carroll, according to the poll.

If Ford had to face Vaughan and TTC Chair Karen Stintz in a three-way race, he would still garner around 40% of the vote while Vaughan would earn 27% of the vote and Stintz 21%.

Even if former Ontario PC leader turned talk show host John Tory threw his hat into a race against Ford and Vaughan, the big guy would come out on top. In that heat, Ford’s support would drop to 33% while both Vaughan and Tory would get 27% of those surveyed.

“A three-way split right now is looking really good for him especially if it is not John Tory who would draw from his side,” Bozinoff said.

Where you live has a lot to do with whether you approve of Ford’s on the job performance so far.

“There is a huge divide in the city by geography,” Bozinoff said.

A stunning 70% of the city’s downtown residents (those who live in the former City of Toronto or East York) disapprove of the job Ford is doing. More than half of those polled in Scarborough and North York approve of the job Ford is doing as mayor (57% and 58% respectively).

Ford’s home turf of Etobicoke slightly disapproves of his performance as mayor - only around 48% approve of him while 52% say they disapprove.

The Forum poll was an interactive voice response telephone survey conducted on April 18 of 812 Toronto residents 18-years-old or older. The poll is considered accurate plus or minus 3.4%, 19 times out of 20.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/19/mayor-fords-popularity-growing-again-poll

Comissioned by the Toronto Sun? I wouldn't be surprised if this was a push poll. A further reminder that the Toronto Sun is an 'expert' at spin.

Majority OK if Ford skips Pride: Poll

According to a new Forum Research Poll conducted Wednesday, around 44% of Toronto residents think Ford should swallow his pride and march in Toronto’s Pride parade on July 1 while 25% say Ford shouldn’t take part and 29% say the decision is the mayor’s personal choice.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/19/majority-ok-if-ford-skips-pride-poll

Last edited:
Majority OK if Ford skips Pride: Poll

According to a new Forum Research Poll conducted Wednesday, around 44% of Toronto residents think Ford should swallow his pride and march in Toronto’s Pride parade on July 1 while 25% say Ford shouldn’t take part and 29% say the decision is the mayor’s personal choice.

Of course, a lot of that "majority OK" might well be a queer-community "good riddance" or "he'd be more trouble than it's worth" sentiment...

Here is a good one:D
More...............Hypocrites mock Ford over weight http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/19/hypocrites-mock-ford-over-weight

Ironic that the Sun would say "Hypocrites mock Ford over weight" when the Sun itself has posted the KFC video on their website (and more than once) and asked Ford about the video in question ("Asked Wednesday by the Toronto Sun about the KFC video sniping, Ford laughingly replied: “That is the stupidest question I have ever heard.”) Perhaps they're not mocking him, but they're sure making it convenient for their readership to view the video (and make their own conclusions about Ford's dedication to his "Cut the waist" plan.)

Ford certainly could have turned this into a positive, a way to humanize himself by explaining "You know what, I've been eating salads for lunch every day this week. It's the weekend. I've got a craving. I'm sorry, but I'm human. But after eating this delicious chicken I'm going to run an extra mile on the treadmill to compensate."

Last edited:
Really? Would they approve of mocking welfare recipients by videotaping them lining up outside a Beer Store on cheque day?
Of course not. They’d be screaming it was morally indefensible

I rarely understand what the Sun is going on about, but the 'mocking welfare recipients' comparison is mystifying. What's wrong with welfare recipients drinking beer? Now, if WR told the world they were going to stop drinking beer, then got caught going into a Beer Store....

I'm happy to mock Ford about just about anything at this point, but the weight thing is really a case of being hoist on his own petard. But, I will be happy to go back to mocking Ford for his unbelievably poor retail politics and the Sun for their innumeracy in spinning push polls.

A 70% disapproval rate downtown and a 60% approval rate in Scarborough is telling of Ford's tactics of using division as a method of gaining support.

js97 is a frequent reader/contributor of UT, and look at the level of discussion needed to attempt to make him understand. Selling the DRL to suburban Toronto is going to be a massively uphill battle...

I can just see an article in the Mirror

- 1980’s: Sorry Scarborough – NO SUBWAY. We need to try out this new technology. I hope you don’t mind the transfer at Kennedy.

- 1990’s: Sorry Scarborough – NO SUBWAY. We ran out of money at the edge of North York. I hope you don’t mind the transfer at Don Mills.

- 2000’s: Sorry Scarborough – NO SUBWAY. We needed the money for Vaughan.

Which will be the next headline?

- 2010’s: Sorry Scarborough – NO SUBWAY (or Phase 2 LRT). We needed the money to provide a subway line for Richmond Hill. I hope you don’t mind the crowds at the transfer to the Yonge line.

- 2010’s: Sorry Scarborough – NO SUBWAY (or Phase 2 LRT). We needed the money to provide a DRL subway line for the downtown. I hope you don’t mind the transferring at Pape and then again at Union to help out the users on the Yonge line.

A 70% disapproval rate downtown and a 60% approval rate in Scarborough is telling of Ford's tactics of using division as a method of gaining support.

the lunacy of the whole Scarborough subway is that alot of the residents are quite ignorant of where the subway goes, or more importantly DOESN'T go. the proposed subway ends at scarborough town centre, while the LRT is planned to end at Meadowvale.
RFs subway plan barely serves 1/2 the area of scarborough and he doesn't have any financing plan for it.

if the money was there, i'd be for subways, but that would also have to be properly extended to the eastern border.

the lunacy of the whole Scarborough subway is that alot of the residents are quite ignorant of where the subway goes, or more importantly DOESN'T go. the proposed subway ends at scarborough town centre, while the LRT is planned to end at Meadowvale.
RFs subway plan barely serves 1/2 the area of scarborough and he doesn't have any financing plan for it.

if the money was there, i'd be for subways, but that would also have to be properly extended to the eastern border.

That's not what Ford has Scarborough believing. They believe that they're going to get a subway stretching deep into Malvern, and the only thing needed to make the subways magically appear was to have Ford tap his heels and say subways three times.

Back onto topic, it's also interesting how Bozinoff states that Ford is now able to campaign against council because he didn't get his way.

The key to the poll is the following:

All three hypothetical races show Ford could walk away with a win provided he’s one of three strong candidates in any mayoralty race.

Rob Ford would win in a 3-way race. In other words, if the opposition is split. The opposition has to settle on 1 candidate, and only 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back