635     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 461     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 331     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree print has been decent to very good, even Peat at the Sun does a nice job. TV on the other hand has been awful, with the exception of Jackson Proskow of Global, who's awesome.

And John Lancaster at CBC.

On another topic: Does anyone here think Rob might actually gain some personal insight from his therapy and decide he should drop out of the race to work on his health? Long shot, I know. But it could happen. Well, maybe..... sort of.

Last edited:
Oh great, so now the American's can laugh at us too. I'll never hear the end of it once my New York relatives hear about this. OY VAY!

That post was from October 2011 in reference to the "Bitches" 911 call. Ah, for innocent times. Man that feels like a lifetime ago....

I can't remember who mentioned it on Twitter, I catch up on the TO media list I follow, and open any interesting links I see as I go along, and then read them after. I do remember someone tweeting about this though, a 14 yr old at the time, who was one of the deputants against library budget cuts at 14 years old, who cried through her presentation because she was so intimidated by speaking in public, but the issue was important enough to her to speak, despite that. Here is a current interview with her. If more young people like her were this engaged, we'd be fine.

Btw, apparently Ford was very dismissive of her after her presentation, while many others were moved to tears. Typical.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-and-her-message-got-through/article18405810/

Oh, I entirely agree. Honestly, it's really quite impressive; If I was Dale, I wouldn't think there'd be a pit in hell hot enough for Ford. That's pretty close to what I do think about Mayor Assclown, and he's never personally fucked me over the way he did to poor Dale.

Dale and McConnell sort of stand for me as representations of individuals who have been hurt (in McConnell's case, physically) by Rob Ford. By all accounts, Dale is a good guy, honest, unbiased, who really didn't deserve any of this, and has every right to be bitter. Not sure I could be as big of a person.

On another topic: Does anyone here think Rob might actually gain some personal insight from his therapy and decide he should drop out of the race to work on his health? Long shot, I know. But it could happen. Well, maybe..... sort of.

Only if one believes he went to Chicago ( or wherever ) for reasons of health, rather than politics.

I guess Toronto's loss is now Chicago's loss.

Last edited:
No.

Wait, let me reconsider.

Still no.

No.

Wait, let me reconsider.

Still no.

Even if he does, Doug won't let him go with his gut.

Geeze, when RoFo's reign began I thought "okay, he's an idiot and people will realize this. He has a turbulent relationship with is wife. They will also see him as a bit of a drunk and closed minded. Who knew it would get so sordid?

I think MetroMan was at the taping with Cook, unless I'm not perfect.
I seem to recall a pic of Cook from that same back drop popping up here a while back. But maybe I'm on crack, Daddy.
I remember the photo, as well. MetroMan is a photographer and he posted a pic of Cook in the alley that he took.

I can't remember who mentioned it on Twitter, I catch up on the TO media list I follow, and open any interesting links I see as I go along, and then read them after. I do remember someone tweeting about this though, a 14 yr old at the time, who was one of the deputants against library budget cuts at 14 years old, who cried through her presentation because she was so intimidated by speaking in public, but the issue was important enough to her to speak, despite that. Here is a current interview with her. If more young people like her were this engaged, we'd be fine.

Btw, apparently Ford was very dismissive of her after her presentation, while many others were moved to tears. Typical.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-and-her-message-got-through/article18405810/

Check it out ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WE_ehrlJec

The young student is really impressive. By age 14, she's thought much more about what it means to be a citizen than Rob Ford will in his whole life, even if he makes it to 110.

Toronto as a whole comes across pretty well--lots of support from councillors and great applause from whatever audience was there.

But Ford doesn't in any way come across as actively dismissive, just much less engaged than others. If all you knew about Rob Ford was what you saw in that video, you'd have no idea what a destructive force he is at personal, city-wide and national levels.

And John Lancaster at CBC.

If that happened he'd be more likely to try to off himself. It's a real possibility given how fucked up his life is.

Check it out ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WE_ehrlJec

The young student is really impressive. By age 14, she's thought much more about what it means to be a citizen than Rob Ford will in his whole life, even if he makes it to 110.

Toronto as a whole comes across pretty well--lots of support from councillors and great applause from whatever audience was there.

But Ford doesn't in any way come across as actively dismissive, just much less engaged than others. If all you knew about Rob Ford was what you saw in that video, you'd have no idea what a destructive force he is at personal, city-wide and national levels.

Thanks for posting that. Whoever tweeted it did say that Ford said "is that it? Is that the end of your deputation?" I'll admit that the tone of his voice wasn't dismissive, but I'm guessing that whoever tweeted it maybe meant that he seemed unmoved, relative to the rest of the councillors. And now that I've seen it, it did make me teary. Computers to do homework at the library wasn't really a thing in my youth, but I was very bookish, and having my local library pack up shop and having to find my way to a farther away branch would have been devastating.

Thanks for posting that. Whoever tweeted it did say that Ford said "is that it? Is that the end of your deputation?" I'll admit that the tone of his voice wasn't dismissive, but I'm guessing that whoever tweeted it maybe meant that he seemed unmoved, relative to the rest of the councillors. And now that I've seen it, it did make me teary. Computers to do homework at the library wasn't really a thing in my youth, but I was very bookish, and having my local library pack up shop and having to find my way to a farther away branch would have been devastating.

Sorry to quote myself, but Kristyn Wong-Tam spoke during that clip, and it reminded me. Someone tweeted a link a few nights ago with her speaking with an interviewer regarding Rob's disregard of the LGBT community, in which she that "it's not that he doesn't understand us, he hates us," after a few years of her trying to meet his bigotry with understanding. I don't know a great deal about her, but her eloquence and even-handedness really impressed me. I think she could go far in politics, if she had the inclination.

Eta - Here is the interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_Ni7q0O2bM

Sorry to quote myself, but Kristyn Wong-Tam spoke during that clip, and it reminded me. Someone tweeted a link a few nights ago with her speaking with an interviewer regarding Rob's disregard of the LGBT community, in which she that "it's not that he doesn't understand us, he hates us," after a few years of her trying to meet his bigotry with understanding. I don't know a great deal about her, but her eloquence and even-handedness really impressed me. I think she could go far in politics, if she had the inclination.

Eta - Here is the interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_Ni7q0O2bM

Yeah, I was catching up on reading as well, and got the idea she'd be worth keeping an eye on simply based on the wretched twitter trolls she's enraged.

ejb.jpg

KWTvsSAL.jpg

And my laugh of the night, from Tabatha Southey: We might as well change our civic motto to “Toronto: maybe your city’s perfect.”

Attachments

• ejb.jpg
    ejb.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 774
  • KWTvsSAL.jpg
    KWTvsSAL.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 801
Last edited:
I just watched The Fighter again the other night. Great movie, but it's amazing how similar the family in that movie is to the Fords. The crack addicted former athlete, the trashy mother in charge, the abusive relationships, the utter loyalty to the family above all else....the only difference is the Fords have money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back