News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 601     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
James D:

The very fact that nothing sounds unbelievable anymore just tells you how far it has fallen.

AoD

I know. It's just ridiculous.

I read a bunch of other comments from the poster who claims to have had a restraining order on Robbie. They certainly don't seem insane or prone to exaggeration or wild claims based on the admittedly small sample size of posts. They do have a very low opinion of Ford though. If anyone wanted to start investigating, responding to them in the messages would likely be a good place to begin.

Daniel Dale is doing a live chat right now and I just asked him if there's anything truth to the restraining order story. Hopefully he'll respond :) I doubt it, though.

Last edited:
The modus operandi of his worship in response to issues so far:

1. Stonewalling/Avoidance
2. Redirect, reposition and distraction (Crusader against councillors travel and expense budget)
3. Admission of irrelevant guilt (I am not perfect)
4. Surrounding himself with and/or creating the imagery of adoring crowds (campaign launch, ACC games, etc) - a sort of Michael Jacksonesque mystique to it, even.

AoD

How prescient!
What The Simpsons teaches us about Rob Ford and other mayoral mysteries

There's only one way to explain the baffling fact that the crack-smoking mayor of Toronto stands a chance of re-election ... look to Springfield's tax-cheating, pot-smoking spendocrat Quimby.
Colin Horgan theguardian.com, Thursday 24 April 2014 14.14 BST

Why do we let them get away with it? A hint may lie in Slate's Who Said It? quiz from last year. It challenged readers to decide which quote belonged to Mayor Ford and which to “Diamond†Joe Quimby, the fictitious mayor of Springfield on The Simpsons, whom Sideshow Bob once beat illegally by a count of 100% to 1% (with a 1% margin of error).

The comparison to Springfield's chief “tax-cheating, wife-swapping, pot-smoking spendocrat†was more than a quick joke. Quimby is good satire for a reason. He embodies exactly we suspect of small-time populist politicians: that they’re two-bit and on the take. Quimby’s stock self-endorsement (“Vote Quimby!â€) no matter the situation – say, caught during an extramarital moment at the Sleep-Eazy Motel – is the calling card of a panderer we all recognise: the politician whose own crookedness has convinced him that no scandal could ever outlive the permanent campaign. And often they’re correct, because broadly speaking, whatever sleazy shenanigans they're up to, we’re fine with.

Does anyone think that "Juiceman" may be Robbie's driver?
A black man with a collapsible baton broke into the Basso house and assaulted Elena and Fabio, and she had talked about fearing Robbie's people targeting them because of the whole Robbie crack-smoking video affair.

I was among those who floated the idea that Juiceman might be Johnson, partly because Juiceman on the intercepts seemed to be stuttering, and because the poetics work on so many levels - juice for the D'Angelo connection, juice for steroids, juice for street and civic cred. It seems much more likely than Jerry: the ITO's - as pud99 noted - seem to indicate it wouldn't be Ford's driver. However, it's probable that Juiceman is someone none of us have heard of.

Also, I'm skeptical of Fabio's description of his assailant - muscular, 6' black man dressed all in black is pretty much what I'd expect any casual racist to say to the cops to deflect them. Wouldn't Fabio recognize Jerry? If not then, certainly now. Fabio hasn't been cooperative with the police, and might have tried to muddy the waters if it was someone he actually recognized. Small note - Elena wasn't assaulted that night, a Fabio "girlfriend" was.

Edgar Alan Poe's Descent into the Maelstrom as told by Marshall McLuhan

Last edited:
Birchibald T. Barlow: You know, there are three things we are never going to get rid of here in Springfield. One; the bats in the public library. Two; Mrs. McFierly's compost heap. And three; our six-term mayor. The illiterate, tax-cheating, wife-swapping, pot-smoking spendocrat, Diamond Joe Quimby.
Mayor Quimby:
[listening to the radio, while watering his marijuana plants] Hey! I am no longer illiterate.

[Homer uncovers a scheme to supply low-grade milk to the school]
Homer: They're milking rats. Rats.
Mayor Quimby: [to Fat Tony] Rats? I'm outraged you promised me dog or higher.

[Homer is driving Mayor Quimby's limo]
Mayor Quimby: Just remember... you represent the office of the mayor. So always comport yourself in a manner befitting - quick. Honk at that broad.

Mayor Quimby: And now, I'd like to turn things over to our Grand Marshall, Mr. Leonard Nimoy.
Leonard Nimoy: [referring to the monorail] I'd say this vessel could do at least Warp Five.
[crowd laughs]
Mayor Quimby: And let me say, "May the Force be with you."
Leonard Nimoy: [annoyed] Do you even know who I am?
Mayor Quimby: I think I do. Weren't you one of the Little Rascals?

Have The Simpsons, or South Park, covered RoFo in one of their episodes?

Not that I've seen, but Fugget About It had a bit in the new season that seemed to my hubby and me as an indirect laugh at Toronto and what's going on.

In short, Straight McCool, the mountie who is in charge of the Falcone/MacDougal family under Witness Protection is asking Jimmy to help him get back a naughty letter that he accidently sent to the Premier. He's fearful of the consequences of that letter being received - the consequence being sent to Toronto. After they agreed on a plan, McCool rides away on his trusty horse shouting "For Canada, where we send all the undesirables to Toronto!"

I read a bunch of other comments from the poster who claims to have had a restraining order on Robbie. They certainly don't seem insane or prone to exaggeration or wild claims based on the admittedly small sample size of posts. They do have a very low opinion of Ford though.

If the guy is genuine in his anti-Ford feelings, I would hope he'd be smart enough to know he'd be doing Mayor Assclown a major-league favor by publicly making easily disprovable claims against him. At the inevitable press conference: "Folks, ya see whut those eve-ill elitists are sayin' about me now? I'm History's Greatest Victim! Boo hoo hoo hoo!" Followed by Fatso running out of the room, "weeping" patently fake tears copiously into his meaty hands! (He knocks over several elderly women in the process, and stomps on a small child, breaking her leg. Not that anyone notices.)

Have The Simpsons, or South Park, covered RoFo in one of their episodes?

South Park did a bit on his "I have enough to eat at home" comments shortly after that little episode occured.

Isn't the stuttering on the part of Lisi (or an associated party with the same interest)?

No, the stuttering was Juiceman relaying Lisi's threats.
Globe:
In a May 17 phone conversation involving Mr. Siyad, Juiceman and several others, Juiceman advised the group that a man warned him: “If that video gets released, I’m gonna, I’m gonna run through all your houses, me and all the, all the Toronto Police, we’re gonna, we’re gonna, we’re gonna done, all you done, we say I’m gonna done you guys.”

I believe this is the most complete ITO offering, someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Better yet, PM me if you can provide a plain text or pdf, as I'm unwilling to register at Scribd. Hell, I surprised myself the other day by almost registering at facebook just to collect pictures of RF's nephew.

Last edited:
I didn't see that before.
[video=youtube;A8XZLvJiqd4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8XZLvJiqd4&list=PLEkqXuAM6ipd4ME3LKaOn-ThgT3z4sW6X[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back