News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 655     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Source?

Interesting! I wonder why he didn't go for the NDP nom?
Here's one but it is all over twitter:
@jerryagar1010: Source tells me Adam Vaughan will run for MP in Oliva Chow's old riding #cdnpoli
I guess Ben Cressy already has the NDP nom (works for the Stephen Lewis Fdn.)

Here's one but it is all over twitter:
@jerryagar1010: Source tells me Adam Vaughan will run for MP in Oliva Chow's old riding #cdnpoli
I guess Ben Cressy already has the NDP nom (works for the Stephen Lewis Fdn.)

Ok so here is a proper source: http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...o_run_for_liberals_in_federal_byelection.html

Adam Vaughan to run for Liberals in federal byelection: Tim Harper
Toronto Councillor Adam Vaughan is making the move to federal politics, agreeing to run for the Liberals in the upcoming byelection in the downtown riding of Trinity-Spadina
By: Tim Harper National Affairs, Published on Thu Apr 17 2014

Long time Toronto city councillor Adam Vaughan is making the move to federal politics, agreeing to run for the Liberals in the upcoming byelection in the downtown riding of Trinity-Spadina.

The deal was sealed at a lunch at Le Select Bistro Wednesday with Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau, sources told the Star, but the party has been courting the outspoken Vaughan for months.

Vaughan, who represents the southern portion of the federal riding on city council, will be seeking the seat vacated by Olivia Chow, who is trying to unseat Mayor Rob Ford in this year’s mayoralty election.

Edit to add:
A date for the byelection has not been announced.

Vaughan has been a long-time critic of Ford, telling reporters after the first mayoral debate that Ford’s “ability to lie is just unchallenged.”

His frustration with the circus-like atmosphere at city hall under Ford played into his decision to make the move, sources said, but he has told Trudeau he would like to take a strong role in promoting policies for cities if he is elected — the same platform Cressy is taking to voters.

more at source

Last edited:
Hate to go off-topic but this statement is insane. He's had many noteable riffs with various coaches, players and members of Leafs management over the years and is by far their most visible critic in the Toronto sports media. How on earth do you think he's a shill?

I'm flabbergasted.

He's definitely not a shill. He's just bitter. And Mallick is bruuutal!

Why? I'm still paying $10

I have no idea. When I called to inquire about it, the guy really had no idea what he was talking about, and he was such a poor communicator.
I had the Star deliver about 6b years ago as well, and they played the same kind of tricks: changing the subscription rate without asking, not acting promptly on cancellation requests etc.
If the Star wants to stay afloat they need to get the foundation set correctly.
If they piss off a supporter like me, they aren't going to win over anyone else.

He's definitely not a shill. He's just bitter. And Mallick is bruuutal!

I think Mallick's column, in which she compared Torontonians electing Rob Ford to being date-raped was a real low point in the Star's coverage of him. While they may have since made up for it I think they still exhibit a certain lack of restraint when it comes to Ford and don't know when to pick their battles. That column, IMHO, was the sort of thing the Star did that helped push people over to Rob Ford on principle.

It really is their own fault. They raise the rates without telling the customer, don't close the account when asked, and keep delivering the damn Sat Star long after everything is cancelled!

Can testify to this; we got given a Saturday subscription as a gift. When it ran out, they kept delivering it. When we realised, we called up to start paying for the subscription ourselves. Frankly I think the Star deserves my subscription, because they've been responsible for the lion's share of investigating & publicising Ford's failings. The operator tried to get us to retroactively pay for the papers they'd been sending us since the gift subscription lapse. Hah! Not a chance, matey.

Still pay for that subscription, though; it's no good whining about the decline of the media if I'm not willing to pay for it. My main complaint about the Star digital is those damn blanket Porter ads. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back