News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 612     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha! The Globe:

I know I couldn't make up a story this outlandish.
The firm significantly under-bid larger rivals like The Miller Group and Waste Management Canada to win the contract, a tactic that has attracted much attention. “You wonder how much money they can make off it,†said Mr. Gibson. “Obviously, the guy who won [the contract]has significantly lower operating costs or a lower profit margin.â€

GFI has a history of low-balling the first contract to get in with a given municipality. They bought Turtle Island to take over the contracts that they held, and cut staff and trucks to pad the profits. When everyone got used to the slightly lower service, they cut more staff and trucks. Around the time of the ice storm, they were so close to the bone in northern York Region that when a couple of trucks wouldn't start a couple of days they ended up 3 WEEKS behind before catching up. Look for a significant jump in the second contract, unless they are still gunning for the rest of Toronto, then look for service levels to drop. Olivia is right to be cautious, by looking around outside of Toronto to see what was going on.

GFI has a history of low-balling the first contract to get in with a given municipality. They bought Turtle Island to take over the contracts that they held, and cut staff and trucks to pad the profits. When everyone got used to the slightly lower service, they cut more staff and trucks. Around the time of the ice storm, they were so close to the bone in northern York Region that when a couple of trucks wouldn't start a couple of days they ended up 3 WEEKS behind before catching up. Look for a significant jump in the second contract, unless they are still gunning for the rest of Toronto, then look for service levels to drop. Olivia is right to be cautious, by looking around outside of Toronto to see what was going on.
GFI also digs big holes, like for the Pan Am swimming pool. They're suing the City for cost overruns, and you can bet Rob had planned for GFI to dig his new subway tunnels. Seems like a lot of business is suddenly going to GFI.

X2K36Wm.jpg

I'm not here for your entertainment. I'm here to state the facts. Think of me as a kind of reverse or anti MetroMan.

I just find it funny that there are folks here who openly admit to participating in the illegal drug industry yet Gary Giroux (GG) isn't out there wasting millions in taxpayer dollars playing peeping tom with these folks or sneaking pictures of their kids in their backyards. Interesting coincidence isn't it?

In the end actions always speaks louders than words and on the third day of the fourth month of 2014 the police finally stepped up to the plate, manned up, and admitted they were wrong.

After 14 years of having his life vivisected and turned sideways, Rob Ford was ultimately vindicated and found innocent of all charges and not guilty. End of story.

Because I don't know how to quote the entire 10,000 page thread in one post, I will show some humility and spare everybody my nfitz I told you so moment.

I hope this whole sad episode teaches an important lesson to the hero worshippers in the cult of MetroMan. Wishful thinking and bigotry is no substitute for cold hard facts and reality.

The bottom line: Despite what the journo hacks in this town say, Rob Ford's life isn't a spectacle, so stop treating it like one. It's time to let the man get back to living his life and doing his job with the dignity any human being deserves. Have some respect people.

I'm not here for your entertainment. I'm here to state the facts. Think of me as a kind of reverse or anti MetroMan.

I just find it funny that there are folks here who openly admit to participating in the illegal drug industry yet Gary Giroux (GG) isn't out there wasting millions in taxpayer dollars playing peeping tom with these folks or sneaking pictures of their kids in their backyards. Interesting coincidence isn't it?

In the end actions always speaks louders than words and on the third day of the fourth month of 2014 the police finally stepped up to the plate, manned up, and admitted they were wrong.

After 14 years of having his life vivisected and turned sideways, Rob Ford was ultimately vindicated and found innocent of all charges and not guilty. End of story.

Because I don't know how to quote the entire 10,000 page thread in one post, I will show some humility and spare everybody my nfitz I told you so moment.

I hope this whole sad episode teaches an important lesson to the hero worshippers in the cult of MetroMan. Wishful thinking and bigotry is no substitute for cold hard facts and reality.

The bottom line: Despite what the journo hacks in this town say, Rob Ford's life isn't a spectacle, so stop treating it like one. It's time to let the man get back to living his life and doing his job with the dignity any human being deserves. Have some respect people.

I think my head just exploded...

Rob Ford was ultimately vindicated and found innocent of all charges and not guilty. End of story.

LOL! Yes, other than all of the criminal offences he's already admitted to, of course.

You most certainly are here for our entertainment, and you're doing well. Keep it up.

TDx0keB.gif

’14 Bonnie and Clyde

But I would also cast him as an antihero type, in the vein of Bonnie and Clyde. They robbed and murdered people yet became popular folk heroes. Books, movies, even a musical was made about them. Why? About their fans, E.R.Milner says they, "’consider themselves outsiders, or oppose the existing system’. Bonnie and Clyde represent the ultimate outsiders, revolting against an uncaring system.”

The legendary crack video parallels the photos Bonnie and Clyde took of themselves posing with guns and so forth, which the FBI published in an effort to catch them. “The hideout photos led to the glamorization and creation of legend about the outlaws.”

In Rob we have the glamour of the outlaw, in which we secretly gain our forbidden wish fulfillment.

I think what "folks" found interesting was the fact that a young woman was ( lawfully ) machine-gunned to death by police in a planned ambush. That was, and is, extremely rare.

The same happened to Ma Barker eight months later in Florida, but she was in her sixties and the man she died with was her son.

Without Bonnie, I believe Clyde would have been largely forgotten.

Although Rob Ford is not a sex symbol ( shudder - I hope not ) it would take a psychiatrist to explain the morbid fascination so many young women seem to have with having their pictures taken with him. I guess they are turned on by his "bad-boy" persona?

That makes two "Bad Boys" were have elected mayor. Way to go Toronto!

( P.S. Come back, Mel. All is forgiven! )

Last edited:
Forgotten do you have an alter ego, as the anti troll too? I would hate to see your talent in communication used purely in trolling.We need all the help we can get over here.

In the end actions always speaks louders than words

It's like the intended flaw in an otherwise perfectly woven rug. A show of humility before the deity. Because only the deity is perfect.

Although Rob Ford is not a sex symbol ( shudder - I hope not ) it would take a psychiatrist to explain the morbid fascination so many young women seem to have with having their pictures taken with him.
RoFo is like a (famous) clock tower or old church or a scenic waterfall to them. He is an object to be photographed, consumed and forgotten. they have seen some of the people they know online have their pics taken with him, and they want one too, to keep up. I sincerely doubt that RoFo is seen as a person to a lot of them.

This photo with the beer appears not to be from Saturday night. The sweater is different; no white string tie on the front as in the photos with him in the hallway.

Of corse not, Robbie wore a Blue Jays sweater of Friday, and a Leafs sweater on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back