116     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 962     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 876     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't freakin' matter if it enables him or what he thinks. As he himself has pointed out, Toronto will make their decision in October, and as far as I know selfies don't count as votes.

And let's be honest, he's going to think that people like him regardless.

The reality is that those people don't give a single shit about him, or Toronto municipal politics, and just think he's a sideshow. And that's totally fair. I'm completely on board with that.

I don't know about that. I think he has a really fragile ego. (And didn't Jimmi T or someone else say that it is known that when he is high, he gets quite insecure?) We've analyzed his personality to death here...but as mentioned previously, he craves any kind of attention, negative or positive. Someone who is always the lone wolf rejects people before they can reject him. If he does not get the constant attention, he just might withdraw and do something stupid (which takes him out of public office.) More attention enables him to keep going.
So selfies don't count as votes, but they keep RoFo in the race.

I don't know about that. I think he has a really fragile ego. (And didn't Jimmi T or someone else say that it is known that when he is high, he gets quite insecure?) We've analyzed his personality to death here...but as mentioned previously, he craves any kind of attention, negative or positive. Someone who is always the lone wolf rejects people before they can reject him. If he does not get the constant attention, he just might withdraw and do something stupid (which takes him out of public office.) More attention enables him to keep going.
So selfies don't count as votes, but they keep RoFo in the race.

I just don't agree. If he's self-aware at all, he definitely knows he is not liked. I really don't think him 'getting high' off members of the public wanting to be photographed with him is going to change anything. In the grand scheme of things, either he knows what he is and he's bullshitting his way through til October, or he truly believes in himself and he's bullshitting his way to October.

He's too big to stop. Literally. I wouldn't want to try. But I hardly think random people taking pictures with him is somehow going to help his political career.

Oh she's just some 20 year old who's been at UWO for the past ~3 years. She seems nice enough and well travelled and just took an opportunity to take a picture with a 'celebrity'.

You guys are fast to judge people who take pictures with Ford.

She appears to work in liquor promotions to support her education. She was at probably at the game to be eyecandy for some brand. Check out the Ford selfie Facebook profile pic of her friend: https://www.facebook.com/taylor.horan22

Read from bottom to top:

Pedro Marques ‏@MetroManTO 1m
9 - That all said, OPP only involved in Brazen 2 which from all appearances focuses on extortion charge. Drug trafficking? Abuse of office?

Pedro Marques ‏@MetroManTO 3m
8 - and so we find ourselves here with TPS confident in their theories, OPP dismissive and Crown siding with the latter.

Pedro Marques ‏@MetroManTO 3m
9 - I'm looking forward to filling in the holes when I arrive back in Toronto on Tuesday.

Pedro Marques ‏@MetroManTO 6m
7 - In late March, word of political interference came up in chatter. Days later, news broke that OPP disagreed on TPS theories.

Pedro Marques ‏@MetroManTO 7m
6 - Earlier in the month, a source close to the Crown said that legal procedures would be complete in weeks (landing in late March or April)

Pedro Marques ‏@MetroManTO 7m
5 - TPS chatter was indicative of an impending arrest consistent with the CTV search warrant tip.

Pedro Marques ‏@MetroManTO 9m
4 - In late March, a TPS constable told me about locker talk. Brazen 2 intel not previously available was now out.

Pedro Marques ‏@MetroManTO 11m
3 - At the same time, a CTV source corroborated by a member of the media said that CTV had received a tip about a warrant for Fords property

Pedro Marques ‏@MetroManTO 13m
2 - People close to TPS said evidence garnered from Lisi's phone, namely calls to Ford placed him as an instructor to retrieve the video.

Pedro Marques ‏@MetroManTO 15m
1 - I can now be more clear about my April arrest prediction.

I wonder if it bothered him enough to see a Dr.?

Well, if Doug is to be believed (ROTFL), Rob went to a Chiropractor, and they are able to write scripts.

I just don't agree. If he's self-aware at all, he definitely knows he is not liked. I really don't think him 'getting high' off members of the public wanting to be photographed with him is going to change anything. In the grand scheme of things, either he knows what he is and he's bullshitting his way through til October, or he truly believes in himself and he's bullshitting his way to October.

He's too big to stop. Literally. I wouldn't want to try. But I hardly think random people taking pictures with him is somehow going to help his political career.

Imagine you have such a weak sense of self, that any attention you receive means someone loves you.
If you get no attention from others, you don't know who you are, and you are not loved. You are the worst and deserve only bad things.
But if you get lots of attention, especially from attractive young women, that means you deserve only good things, you are the best mayor ever, you have saved billions, the city is booming (even if the stats say otherwise.)

The photos don't necessarily help his political career directly. They help him. And that helps his career. And anything that helps him needs to stop.

It is not only for the mayoral election that they need to stop. They need to stop because RoFo is gonna end up dead if he doesn't stop.

The only solution I could think of tonight.

General Rob.jpg

Attachments

• General Rob.jpg
    General Rob.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 742
Thanks for the MM update btw Gavin.
Not much that is new there.

Here is another update:
unmayor ‏@micachoices 20m
@MetroManTO no idea what "political interference" means here. If so, who does having Rofo as mayor, benefit now? Someone unpack this plz.

Pedro Marques ‏@MetroManTO 16m
@micachoices tips received about a judge not involved in the case on an official capacity also implicated.

I had a quick back and forth with MM on Twitter, but no new info. It doesn't seem like we'll get any from him until he's back from Costa Rica.

Wondering if Rob Ford has actually become a genius of modern electoral politicking. Nobody wants a selfie with Olivia Chow. And even if they did, what social traction would it get? John Tory will likely denounce 'the selfie' in a ten-point memorandum as soon as he figures out what 'selfie' means. When he does he'll surely embrace it awkwardly. And it will be...awkward. Great Sun FP photos, though. Socknacki will still be trying to find focus on his Brownie while Stintz passively/aggressively photobombs a Polaroid SX-70 somewhere. We'll never know where.

Point is, Ford gets his fluorescent face out there through Twitter while doing the only thing he does well - getting bombed and having fun. Cost = 0. None of the other 'politicians' in the hurdy-gurdy, hari-kiri, late-night-news-cycle. 24/7 WTF world of modern political coverage could pull it off in a way that seems any way 'real' or 'genuine'. Ford somehow can.

Now, at this point, many are thinking "Go away, troll". Which is fine. Those that have the patience to continue, cool. The pre-framing of this whole electoral period has (drugs and gangs and lying and intimidation and cops in Cessnas, etc, etc. aside) is "Man O' The People", yeah? These images with Ford will spread. For good or ill (Ya takes yer chances - unless you confiscate people's phones, of course. Hi. Rob...er...Doug).

It's entirely possible that one of the brighter lights in the decidedly dimly-lit Ford camp has decided that getting next to popular local Twitter people like e.g., @Daph, @Melody, @TooBig (these are fictional, so Twitter will yield less than satisfactory results) will spread 'Celebrity'. And that will fuel success. I suggest that Ford has been the most successful at leveraging new/social media so far. In a seemingly natural, effortless way. The others have to surmount- what's that George Clinton lyric? - Oh, yeah:

So, wide can't get around it
So, low you can't get under it
So, high you can't get over it

That's the one. 'One Nation Under A Groove'. We all know the Nation.

I just don't see any mainstream candidate 'working' social media better than Ford. Depressing? Without a doubt. So, remind your favoured electoral hope they have to be more than simply 'Not Rob Ford'. They have to be electorally viable in this stupid modern context. Because if not. it's late night talk and drunken selfies for Ford-More-fucking years.

/rant off

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back