5K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 709     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK how do we go about organizing a gigantic protest? This is incredulous.

Not the time for protests. It'll just make people think we're sore losers.

This is the time when we have to look towards putting effort into supporting the mayoral and council candidates who we want to win.

I am so excited for the misery and crying in this thread about to happen; it's hilarious to watch you all do your keyboard detective work.

Is this when all of you cowards start crawling out of the woodwork? Don't count your chickens yet, asshole.

TPS knows their reputation, top-to-bottom, is on the line if Rob Ford is not charged with something. My guess is that they are buckling down and won't give up. At this point, they need to justify their own existence.

You simply cannot let the MAYOR get away with all of this disgusting behaviour, and then expect the average citizen to accept their jay-walking ticket. NWA is going to be blasting from the stereos of drivers who don't even like rap.

Why game over? Nothing will dissuade the idiots who voted for RoFo from doing so again. He's admitted to smoking crack and hanging around with gangs, what more harm could the actual video do?

Maybe remind them that he initially said the video did not exist? Surely it'll cost him some votes.

dave seglinsVerified account
‏@cbcdaveseglins
Rob Ford investigation by Toronto police at standstill, OPP walk away as Crown advises against any more charges http://www.cbc.ca/1.2596914

Has the Crown actually spoken up? Dave Seglins is tweeting that they have (several tweets now) but the article he links to makes no mention of the Crown advising against charges. Assume this will be coming shortly?

dave seglinsVerified account
‏@cbcdaveseglins
Rob Ford investigation by Toronto police at standstill, OPP walk away as Crown advises against any more charges http://www.cbc.ca/1.2596914

Has the Crown actually spoken up? Dave Seglins is tweeting that they have (several tweets now) but the article he links to makes no mention of the Crown advising against charges. Assume this will be coming shortly?

I think this is one of the "sources say" off-the-record situations. But I see no reason to doubt it.

So does the case against Ford hinge on Lisi? Are we supposed to believe Lisi did all this of his own accord? Will we ever understand their relationship? Will Ford have to testify at the trial? Was nothing useful found in Lisi's phone files? Why would Lisi protect him? What did he mean when about bringing the "heat" on the Dixon neighbourhood, if he was acting alone? Why was that woman caught on camera screaming that it was about Rob Ford during the Traveller raid?

So no arrest in sight. That's too bad. (Note, I didn't bet on an arrest date, I was too lazy to ponder any probabilities). It looks like we have to bear this creepy politician and his even creepier brother for another few months. I don't want to wish summer away, but I can hardly wait to see Rob Ford get his fairly ample ass kicked out of office in October.

Ford is looking even more petty and vindictive than usual, now. He really did vote against commemorating Mandela, and he voted against a congratulation to our olympians … I'm not buying for one moment that Ford pressed the wrong button, but rather I'm buying Adam Vaughan's explanation instead: Ford did it on purpose. Otherwise Ford is just plain incompetent; 40 other councillors hit the right button twice, whilst Ford erred twice.

So, still, 3.5 years after the last election, I am still wondering, "is this the best you can do, Etobicoke?" I understand that the outer-416ers might hate government, at least that may explain Ford's election success, but isn't Ford's "voting error" yesterday a better reason to hate government? Some of the elected officials really are petty (or, ahem, incompetent, or both) to the max. Fraud Nation must do some navel gazing (for a change). At the very least, Fraud Nation has a lot of explaining to do, for this spectacular waste of time that has gone on for more than three years.

Keeping things in perspective here, the best thing we can say about RF is that he's not currently facing criminal charges. That's an incredibly low bar for a top politician, but he has lowered our expectations of him so far that he is now at the point where he can literally get away with almost anything. Flip off a mother and child? Go for it! Down a large quantity of booze and drive? We got your back buddy! When I distance myself from the emotional involvement I have in this city, I have to admit that it really is quite fascinating.

We all know he has dirty hands in all of this for sure, but the evidence appears to not be there yet, and will possibly never be. What's more, it is extremely plausible that he will win reelection. The campaign has only just started and it is shaping up a lot like the last one - with Ford defining all the terms of the debates and sticking to his asinine yet effective messages. Something really needs to happen to shake that dynamic up, and I personally think the other candidates have nothing to lose by being as harsh as possible because he needs to be rattled and knocked off message.

So does the case against Ford hinge on Lisi? Are we supposed to believe Lisi did all this of his own accord? Will we ever understand their relationship? Will Ford have to testify at the trial? Was nothing useful found in Lisi's phone files? Why would Lisi protect him? What did he mean when about bringing the "heat" on the Dixon neighbourhood, if he was acting alone? Why was that woman caught on camera screaming that it was about Rob Ford during the Traveller raid?

Clearly Lisi is just a really big fan of the cinema who talks a a big game.
He wasn't trying to get the video FOR Ford (like, the poor guy didn't even know the thing existed!) and all those phone calls were probably just to tell Ford not go on Gawker.com, so he could maintain plausible deniability.

As for the Bassos, they're a good family who keep a good family home and if an old friend stumbles in there in a drunken stupor and his pal's sister has some delusions about him being either stupid and/or powerful and connected to dirty cops (watch Training Day one too many times, Princess?) well, that can hardly be laid at his feet. It's time to cut the big guy some slack and let bygones by bygones.

Let the healing begin!
[has another shot of something strong and Mexican]

Well, that, ladies and gentlemen, concludes one of the greatest scandals in Toronto history. I see no reason why we should ever trust the Toronto Police Service again.

Saw Noah last weekend. Starting to seem like this city (Province?Country?) could use a cleansing flood.

For all the breaking Tweets, it seems more that the case is at a standstill rather than wrapping up:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/rob-ford-investigation-by-police-at-a-standstill-1.2596914

I think the media may have overplayed their hands here.

When the Chief of Toronto Police specifically asks the OPP to oversee the investigation due to taking "steps to avoid distractions" for the courts and investigation (this is basically admitting it's political), and the OPP explicitly comes up with a 180 degree reason disputing the Theory Toronto Police are presenting, this whole thing will get laughed out of the courts. If there are this many holes at the ground level, it will never stand up at the Court level.

The OPP has basically come up with a defense for Ford, which the Toronto Police and Crown cannot ignore.

Chief Bill Blair will not be able to take back oversight, which there is now no alternative, after rec using himself without really compromising the whole thing.

The "No new Evidence" is the angle being overplayed here since that was not in the original reasoning why the OPP assumed oversight of this investigation. Basically, those who thought the OPP were going to be even more harsher on Ford has backfired :D

Sure, the OPP isn't perfect, but seeing the way they enforce highway laws, they generally follow things by the book compared to the Big City cover-up, political force that is the TPS. They saw basic logic here.. two extortionist threatening each other, the first one is the instigator. Why is the TPS only targeting the reacting extortionist.

Someone asked @ddale if he was surprised about the OPP "stepping back:"

I'm pretty distant from our police-related reporting - I get my info from Robyn and Kevin and Jayme Poisson and Jennifer Pagliaro. But I wasn't surprised...it's been going on a while, and there haven't been charges. Also, outgoing OPP Commish Lewis went on Warmington's 1010 show and made comments that clearly suggested caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back