376     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 992     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 850     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filip, do you have any other urban interests besides transportation? This isn't the transportation forum, you know...

Filip, do you have any other urban interests besides transportation? This isn't the transportation forum, you know...

Guess you haven't gone over my posting history.. Recently my passion is transportation - tomorrow it's going to be back to architecture, you just never know.

Adma, besides living on UT, do you have a life?

A subway.. but that'll never happen since nobody seems to know how to build a transit system in this country.
You want a subway on Front, King, Queen, Dundas, Parliament, Bathurst and Collage? Damn, that would be great! You won't scream your head off when your taxes go up by a huge amount, will you? I'd say it's worth it. No pain, no gain!

You want a subway on Front, King, Queen, Dundas, Parliament, Bathurst and Collage? Damn, that would be great! You won't scream your head off when your taxes go up by a huge amount, will you? I'd say it's worth it. No pain, no gain!

I love Collage street! It's my favourite after Young, Eglington and Queen's Qway.

.... In all seriousness, I won't even bother responding to your post.

I was making fun of RF's transit plan. I used to work on Eglinton West.... Those buses slow traffic down! Clearly RF hasn't been on E West.

Now that RF's been elected mayor, I reserve the right to diss him and his plans. :D

Weren't you the guy who's been promoting Ford daily for the last 2 months? And the day after you talk about "dissing" him? I say, you wanted him, you got him, now STFU! It's the rest of us who have the right to say, I told you so. And I will! I predict Ford is going to be one colossal disaster.

I can't think of a single mayor of any major city in NA, (or the world) who is less statesmen like, than Ford. It's just embarrassing. My Brother in Edmonton thought it was the funniest thing and I didn't even try to justify it. I was just too ashamed for this hick town. Yeah, I'm still bitter!!!

Last edited:
What's the worst street in Toronto to drive along during rush hour? Eglinton West I think.

They have streetcars on that street, correct?

I think the worst street to drive on is Finch East but Eglinton is terrible too. All major streets in North York are terrible to drive on. All around Pacific Mall is crazy too. Yet there isn't any streetcars in any of those areas, so Ford doesn't know what he's talking about as far as I'm concerned.

I wasn't in Toronto, but in Mississauga while watching returns, shocked to find Ford so quickly announced mayor after the election was over. After the initial reactions settled down, I started to remember where I came from, and where Toronto is headed. This may sound bizzaire, but the election of Rob Ford taught me why I love Toronto all over again. Here is a city that has a huge population up in arms over a Canadian right wing politician. Sure he's got problems with homophobia and racism on his campaign trail, which is nothing less than appalling; however, he supports building subways. By default, that is left wing lunacy in other right wing circles. The fact that so many Torontonians - and in fact Canadians - are surprised at Ford's win and have concerns about his win just confirms the character of the people. I've been in many cities and many places, and in many other areas Rob Ford would be a relative lefty. I'm proud so many Canadians have concerns. Character is within a population, not symbolized in only one individual at the top.

The fact that Toronto is so concerned (despite his win), the fact that Rob Ford IMMEDIATELY tempered his heated rhetoric the day after his election, and the fact that I was never too happy about Miller's streetcar for every neighborhood plan never has given me reason to worry about Toronto even if Smitherman was to lose. The city is more than its mayor, it is it's people, and Toronto will continue to shine regardless of whether it is Miller or now Ford.

Ford wouldn't have been my choice, I supported Smitherman, but I don't think Ford has the capacity to "destroy" such a great city as Toronto. For those of you who didn't support him, watch Toronto grow in spite of him. For those of you who supported him, watch Toronto grow.

Regardless, Toronto will grow. It's not dependent upon a singular politician.

And on the positive, who can't love a mayor who will trash all these useless streetcar lines in the name of Transit City. If Ford actually builds out the Sheppard subway and builds out the Scarborough RT to subway standards, then he will have been the first mayor to successfully expand subways within the city of Toronto in decades.

Focus on the positives, because Toronto still has plenty. I'm an eternal optimist.

/my view on the election

Last edited:
Weren't you the guy who's been promoting Ford daily for the last 2 months? And the day after you talk about "dissing" him? I say, you wanted him, you got him, now STFU! It's the rest of us who have the right to say, I told you so. And I will! I predict Ford is going to be one colossal disaster.

I can't think of a single mayor of any major city in NA, (or the world) who is less statesmen like, than Ford. It's just embarrassing. My Brother in Edmonton thought it was the funniest thing and I didn't even try to justify it. I was just too ashamed for this hick town. Yeah, I'm still bitter!!!

So in your opinion, if you supported somebody you can't "diss" him? That's a very strange logic. Just because you thought Smitherman was perfect and couldn't be criticized, doesn't mean people supported Ford thought Ford was perfect.

I don't think it's a right wing or left wing thing when it comes to Rob Ford. A lot of people don't like him because of his lack of presence - he just doesn't have the kind of polish a mayor should have (I know, I know, people said the same thing about Mel Lastman.) Unfortunately, a lot of people who *DO* like presence and polish don't vote and only complain. This leaves those who don't care (and these seem to be more political/vocal about issues.) However, I do think that over time, Ford is going to become more polished and sophisticated. David Miller didn't really feel like a mayor when he first stepped into office.

Polish is not a right wing thing or a left wing thing It's an "IT" factor that one just has to have. Perhaps Rob Ford would end up spending our tax money on etiquette and image consultants (oy vey!).

Torontovibe: I predict RF will become one of Toronto's best mayors. Mark this post and read it c. October 2014.:)

It could become a city run by Council with the Mayor as a figurehead, like the Governor-General. Ford will be present at ribbon-cutting ceremonies only, skipping meetings like he did as councilor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back