535     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 634     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have an unusually strong bond. Ford views him as his little brother. And Sandro worships the ground the mayor walks on. Sandro is like Robs puppet and would do anything for him.

Interesting. Psychologists (armchair or otherwise) will have a field day with this little titbit!

I'm told there may be a surprise but to just expect extortion charges.

Wouldn't there also have to be conspiracy charges? If he had Lisi go out and do his dirty work, that's conspiracy, no? Even if he only said, "Do whatever you think you need to to find that video.." he'd be responsible for the beating etc., as I understand it. He doesn't seem like he did very much solo here.

As for the Richmond Hill comedy night: yet more proof that they mayoral campaign is just a means to an end as a 21st-Century tabloid celebrity. His message (such as it is) is increasingly focused outside Toronto and less on policy (to the extent "subways!" and "the gravy train" qualify). He's just getting his face out there, hoping there's going to be a new season of the Surreal Life.

If the most serious charge is that Ford "tried to cover up" a video of him smoking crack that was taken by a bunch of drug dealers, it's going to turn him into a martyr.

If this is the case, we just have to keep repeating in stark terms what this situation really is. So much gets lost in RoFo's weird cult of personality. Take him out of the equation:

The mayor of the 4th largest city in North America used his office to sanction threats of violence, and possibly actual violence, to suppress a political scandal. The mayor of the 4th largest city in North America used his office to sanction threats of violence, and possibly commit actual violence, to suppress a political scandal.

If any mayor besides this apparently lovable schlub had done that, he'd have been dragged out of office by now. We have to stop lowering the bar for him. It's at the point where so long as he's spotted in public sober and isn't committing a homicide right this second, he's doing okay.

If this is the case, we just have to keep repeating in stark terms what this situation really is. So much gets lost in RoFo's weird cult of personality. Take him out of the equation:

The mayor of the 4th largest city in North America used his office to sanction threats of violence, and possibly actual violence, to suppress a political scandal. The mayor of the 4th largest city in North America used his office to sanction threats of violence, and possibly commit actual violence, to suppress a political scandal.

If any mayor besides this apparently lovable schlub had done that, he'd have been dragged out of office by now. We have to stop lowering the bar for him. It's at the point where so long as he's spotted in public sober and isn't committing a homicide right this second, he's doing okay.

Sure Rob has issues. Everyone does. The gang was taking advantage of that. If you were getting blackmailed by criminals wouldn't you want to fight back? Rob is just a normal guy trying to make things right, and now the cops and John Tory are twisting it to get more money. Subways.

They have an unusually strong bond. Ford views him as his little brother. And Sandro worships the ground the mayor walks on. Sandro is like Robs puppet and would do anything for him.

Psychologists (armchair or otherwise) will have a field day with this little titbit!

Would they? I mean, is it not common for low-level types to want to ingratiate themselves with influential people?

And for influential people to want a few "friends in low places".

Last edited:
Would they? I mean, is it not common for low-level types to want to ingratiate themselves with influential people?

And for influential people to want a few "friends in low places".

If it was just that, you're probably right. But Jimmi T's description goes beyond that sort of behaviour. I dunno, just feels ........"abnormal". Maybe it's just me.

Perhaps a more interesting study would be why we elect such people.

I think I know the answer: "He promised to save us a dollar on our taxes!" :)

It's the grown up version of getting in van with someone who offers you a popsicle. Frightening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back