535     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 634     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is untrue. There actually IS a clinical difference between crack and powder cocaine in terms of the intensity/duration of the high due to method of delivery. Several studies show that the onset of the high is much faster with crack cocaine and the duration is much shorter. That has led to a lot of speculation that it is more addictive than powder cocaine but I haven't seen a definitive study on that.

There are also side products produced during pyrolysis of crack that differentiate it from powder cocaine - there are literally different chemicals that are ingested when crack is smoked (notably methylester derivatives). I have no idea what impact that has on addictiveness, but I do suspect that these chemicals make crack more toxicologically damaging to the human body than does powder cocaine.

Lower cost and a high similar to freebasing.

IIRC, beyond shouting out "subways, subways, subways" and that one meeting with developers in his office, I'm not sure he did ANY serious work on the matter. My take on Ford was (and is) he could care less if we didn't build ANY mass transit at all. All he wanted was a smooth drive for his Escalade.

Mass transit for the "masses", roads are for the "accomplished".

Totally appreciate it. Still - and I have looked - there is no solid etymological reason why 'canvas(s)', especially given its origins, should come to mean 'walking around to see how constituents think and feel'. Which was Price's meaning or cover/dodge regarding phone-talking to Dixon POIs. Why use such an arcane term?

Don't want to go down rabbit derails here, and it was an aside, but, um, yeah, stumped. Ford(s) never use the word. It's either 'constituent meetings' or 'talking with taxpayers' or some such. Prices use of the word jumped out in a stark way (not that he necessarily knows what he's blabbing about) because it's such an 'earlier generation' olde-tyme word. My parents used to 'canvass' for preferred pols, and even as a 9-year old it struck me as a weird word.

It doesn't strike me as that old timey or weird. Public Outreach still refers to what they do as canvassing, and my girlfriend who has worked on major political campaigns has referred to the door-to-door stuff as canvassing as well. I don't think it'd be that weird if people in Ford's office referred to it this way even if the Fords don't.

I hadn't noticed, but that is strange. The Mayor's office gave statements fairly quickly when the other staff left, "xxx left to pursue better opportunities". Two people leave for various reasons, Amin because of cancer, and not a peep? smh.

Anyone care to speculate why this is?

As already mentioned, Ford has been quick to personally and publicly address staff leaving. However, in this case, Beyer announced his own departure through a media interview, while Massoudi chose to inform the public about his illness directly through social media.

I mean, I realize these two staff are his communication/social media guys, but c'mon....at least thank Beyer for his service.

Also, am I the only one who found it to be quiet on the Ford front today?

EDIT: it's been easier for me to connect with the TOpoli community via Twitter and it's become difficult to keep up with a 3,000 post thread. So yes, by all means follow and engage with me on Twitter. I'll still be around here of course.

http://www.twitter.com/MetroManTO

Last edited by a moderator:
Mayor Rob Ford's re-election campaign is ramping up this week and Councillor Doug Ford is promising more Hollywood theatrics.

Doug Ford revealed Monday that Jimmy Kimmel -- the U.S. comedian that interviewed the mayor last week -- will be a guest on an upcoming episode of the Fords' YouTube show.

"If it was up to (challenger John Tory) and (NDP MP) Olivia Chow, they'd make sure it was winter all the way to October," Ford, who is the mayor's campaign manager, told the Toronto Sun. "When the snow melts -- have you ever seen Braveheart when the guys are coming over the hill? That's going to be Ford Nation coming at these guys. That's strength is the ground game."
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/03/10/jimmy-kimmel-to-be-guest-on-ford-nation-youtube-show

Mayor Rob Ford's re-election campaign is ramping up this week and Councillor Doug Ford is promising more Hollywood theatrics.

Doug Ford revealed Monday that Jimmy Kimmel -- the U.S. comedian that interviewed the mayor last week -- will be a guest on an upcoming episode of the Fords' YouTube show.

"If it was up to (challenger John Tory) and (NDP MP) Olivia Chow, they'd make sure it was winter all the way to October," Ford, who is the mayor's campaign manager, told the Toronto Sun. "When the snow melts -- have you ever seen Braveheart when the guys are coming over the hill? That's going to be Ford Nation coming at these guys. That's strength is the ground game."
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/03/10/jimmy-kimmel-to-be-guest-on-ford-nation-youtube-show

LOL. dafck is he talking about...

Kimmel being on youtube is about as credible as Rob attending the Oscars. It's bluster. There was an article that came out that talked about how the youtube show isn't getting very many hits, this is just a response to that.

I'm trying not to speculate too much on the lack of statement from the Ford camp about the departing staff members (maybe there's some validity in it being because he lost the communications people), but it is weird. His chief of staff should be competent enough to draft up a quick statement thanking them for their work.

Sure, Kimmel will appear on the Fords' little UTube show to denounce the left-wing liberal media, apologize for the disgrace he subjected Rob to during their TV interview and ask for forgiveness from OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST. Seems perfectly sensible to me... :p

I can only assume it will be a brief clip they got of him while they were in Los Angeles.

Does anybody think totally destroying the Ford family name and flushing their father's life's work down the toilet has made Doug come a bit unhinged? The persistent war references in their campaign seem not just unnecessary but kind of offensive and weird. This is a MUNICIPAL ELECTION, for chrissakes.

Last edited:
Interesting post. My brother and his friends were addicted to coke for many years. I recall his one friend would go crazy whenever he came down and would try to fight all my friends. In terms of murder rant I'm told he mixed booze and crack.

Could have just as easily been cocaine and booze. There's really nothing unique about crack that would guarantee that outcome. I've seen guys get really manic when they do too much of either or both. You've probably met people who think if a little is good then more must be better. Those are the ones you need to watch out for.

Stimulants are okay in moderation. Every housewife in the 1970's was on "diet pills" which were basically just time released speed. They got an awful lot of housework done and stayed trim in the process. lol

Never tried anything (#shelterdlife :p) but some people who have "partied" in their youth, upon hearing the crack confession, said "why, oh why would you do crack if you can afford cocaine?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back