867     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 814     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be great if Batra provides the public with more fine details on how things are going in the Ford Administration :D

Last edited:
^Yes, I'm sure her new role with the Sun and Newstalk1010 will be much different than being the mayor's official apologist.

Ford should hire Marg Delahunty as his new press secretary. Or maybe the Iron Sheik.

Link to Matt Elliott's blog "Ford For Toronto", at this link, for information on Rob Ford's budget for 2012.

2012-budget-manufactured-crisis.png

^Yes, I'm sure her new role with the Sun and Newstalk1010 will be much different than being the mayor's official apologist.

Ford should hire Marg Delahunty as his new press secretary. Or maybe the Iron Sheik.

I'm not so sure about that. There was a reason she was his press secretary and I don't her new role will cause her to jump off the good ship Ford. I believe she will remain loyal and remain a staunch defender.

I'm not so sure about that. There was a reason she was his press secretary and I don't her new role will cause her to jump off the good ship Ford. I believe she will remain loyal and remain a staunch defender.

Once again, thwarted by a sarchasm.

In the news today, I learned that American Airlines and its parent company AMR sought Chapter 11 protection. May not directly have anything to do with Toronto, but one reason for the protection by American Airlines is that they will be able to restructure and shed labour costs. In other words, the labour contracts are ripped up and starts up as if it were a new company.

We heard about cities, towns, and counties in the states going bankrupt and in so doing the labour contracts get thrown out. Could the same circumstances happen here in Toronto? Rob Ford keeps saying Toronto is in financial trouble. Is this the direction he is going, bankruptcy protection, to get the current contracts thrown out?

Something to keep our eyes open about.

In order to declare bankruptcy wouldn't the city have to prove that it was unable to pay it's debts? I'd say we're very far from being in a situation like that given how quickly that illusionary $754 million budget hole disappeared on Monday. Besides, if he tried to use it as a tactic to tear up labour contracts, the ensuing protests would make the G20 mess look civil by comparison.

In order to declare bankruptcy wouldn't the city have to prove that it was unable to pay it's debts? I'd say we're very far from being in a situation like that given how quickly that illusionary $754 million budget hole disappeared on Monday. Besides, if he tried to use it as a tactic to tear up labour contracts, the ensuing protests would make the G20 mess look civil by comparison.

I don't believe there's a Canadian equivalent to municipal bankruptcy law in the US, since the municipalities are captive to the provinces, but I could be wrong. One thing I keep meaning to post in the Toronto/Chicago comparison thread is how unbelievably broke Chicago has become. They're going to be cutting services in ways that'll make service cuts here seem like enhancements.

Its amazing how that illusionary 754 million hole turned into a surplus. All those councillors kept saying that early on during those debates. I sincerely hope that budget is shot down. And then how that company that got the contract for the garbage west of Yonge (GFL) merged with the private company collecting garbage in Etobicoke. No wonder they came in so low. They knew by merging they could pull it off. Plus it seemed they were behind the change the city wanted to implement whereby those environmental days were to be shrunk form 44 to 11 days. This way when one had to go drop things off outside of those 11 days, they had to pay for it - courtesy of GFL.

WTF The Republican short bus comes to Toronto. Yeah Rob lets raise the gun crime and murders in Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back