818     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."

Toronto Police Services Board approves budget

TORONTO - With very little public debate Thursday, the Toronto Police Services Board approved the 2012 budget.

The serene vote followed weeks of public budget bickering and sets next year’s cop budget at $936.3 million - up $6 million from this year’s budget.

That’s a far cry from the 10% cut mandated by Mayor Rob Ford and the city budget mandarins but Chief Bill Blair and the board maintain the budget is going down.

Blair and board members say their target for cutting costs was $93 million - a number that doesn’t factor in the $25 million increase in labour costs from the collective agreement approved earlier this year.

Based on those numbers, the board has a 4.6% or $43.1 million decrease and resolved to achieve the rest of their 10% target in time for the 2013 budget.

Dr. Alok Mukherjee admitted the dollar amount of the 2012 police budget is larger than the 2011 police budget but refused to call that an increase.

“There is a net reduction of 4.6%,” he said.

The only anger evident at the board table Thursday was from Councillor Frances Nunziata who blasted critical council colleagues for complaining about the budget.

“Unfortunately there are critics out there who are criticizing the board and I say to these past members, especially members of council that sat on this board previously, they sat on this board and they did not bring a budget to the city with a reduction, it was always an increase,” she said, a none-too-subtle jab at Councillor Adam Vaughan.

“To criticize this board for bringing forward a reduction is very hypocritical and I’m very frustrated with past board members making these comments, they did absolutely nothing and they don’t have a solution.”

Blair described the budget process as “long and difficult.”

“I think we have now come to a budget which reflects a very sincere effort to manage our costs and reduce cost in every place we could,” Blair told reporters.

The service will continue a hiring freeze into 2012 and bring in an outside consultant to conduct an organization review of the service in time for the 2013 budget.

Councillor Chin Lee said cutting the police budget isn’t easy but stressed members had to look at the facts.

“To run the police department is not a matter of blindly saying I’m going to cut 10%,” Lee said. “In the end we have to ensure that the city is safe.”

Lee said during last year’s election he promised people he would look for savings, not cut blindly.

“I did not promise that I would find the gravy,” he said, referencing Ford’s campaign pledge. “I did not promise no service cuts, guaranteed ... so don’t ask me to deliver something I did not promise.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/10/20/toronto-services-board-budget-approved

And an insightful comment that gets everything into perspective:

So, instead of a $93m cost savings we're now shelling out 6m more for those power-tripping overpriced traffic cones.

That's a $99m difference.

Four times the "gravy" Ford has found to date and expended most of his political capital on

More than double the cancellation costs for the transit plan.

1.5x the gap opened up by cancelling the VRT, which was quite possibly until now the stupidest budgeting decision to have come out of city hall in years.

And, a thousand times bigger than the catering costs to council that everybody makes such a big fuss over.

And finally, considerably more costly than Miller's concessions during the strike a few years back.

And why? Ford rode into city hall on a wave of violent anti-union sentiment. Yet, faced with the opportunity to "stay the course" to use his own words, he crumbled and gave the unions exactly what they wanted. Each and every Torontonian household now faces a $100 tax hike - 3% or so - just to pay for the police to slop gravy out of Ford's special entitlement trough.

I can only hope that somebody has learned a lesson about voting for a slogan.

The city and Miller both welcomed the G20 summit to the city when it was announced. .
It seems a bit counter-productive to go on and on about the G20 - it is so 2010 - but to put the record straight, the City wanted it held at the CNE from Day 1 not downtown. When the Feds refused they did cooperate but it was certainly not the City's choice to hold it downtown.

o, instead of a $93m cost savings we're now shelling out 6m more for those power-tripping overpriced traffic cones.

That's a $99m difference.

Four times the "gravy" Ford has found to date and expended most of his political capital on

More than double the cancellation costs for the transit plan.

1.5x the gap opened up by cancelling the VRT, which was quite possibly until now the stupidest budgeting decision to have come out of city hall in years.

And, a thousand times bigger than the catering costs to council that everybody makes such a big fuss over.

And finally, considerably more costly than Miller's concessions during the strike a few years back.

And why? Ford rode into city hall on a wave of violent anti-union sentiment. Yet, faced with the opportunity to "stay the course" to use his own words, he crumbled and gave the unions exactly what they wanted. Each and every Torontonian household now faces a $100 tax hike - 3% or so - just to pay for the police to slop gravy out of Ford's special entitlement trough.

I can only hope that somebody has learned a lesson about voting for a slogan.

Great fun, thanks for posting.

Great fun, thanks for posting.

Little things like these need to be spread and reposted more often.

People won't understand detached, raw numbers thrown at them, but once you start drawing comparisons, the real scale of Ford's follies quickly becomes evident.

People won't understand detached, raw numbers thrown at them, but once you start drawing comparisons, the real scale of Ford's follies quickly becomes evident.

Hard core Fordites will never see anything but what they want to see, and no amount of grade 3 math is going to change that. They like that there are no more free sandwiches at City Hall, and that PROVES why they voted for Ford. If other things don't sound like they are working out as planned...well, it just means Ford needs more time to sort it out, or it's beyond his control.

If you were paying attention, and your brain is functioning somewhat normal, it should have been painfully obvious during the mayoral campaign that Ford is a complete idiot and voting for him is out of the question.

Freezing taxes would at least be on par, although I see them as hand-in-hand...just part of the populist vote buying.

See above.

No more free sandwiches at City Hall resonates with the Sun Reader.

Duly Quoted: Rob Ford

BY HAMUTAL DOTAN

“Recently in the news there has been some discussion about the TTC—let me assure you, no TTC routes are being cut. The TTC is implementing service level modifications which will have minimal impact on your bus schedules. Some service will be added to routes in January.

On Monday, the City will be launching the 2012 Budget… Our administration has used alternative, innovative strategies like monetization. Such strategies provide adequate and sustainable funding for the services that are important to you.”

—Rob Ford, in his weekly update to constituents about the goings-on at City Hall, telling us all to quit worrying cause he’s got things under control.

Perhaps they can use triangle graphs as well while Karen Stintz gets the followship award.

2 to 5 minutes delay for automobile drivers on Jarvis Street is unacceptable. So the bicycle lanes have to go to make room for private motor vehicles. However, 2 to 5 minutes delay for public transit users is acceptable. So the buses and streetcars have to make room for private motor vehicles.

What's wrong with this picture?

The war on public transit escalates.

2 to 5 minutes delay for automobile drivers on Jarvis Street is unacceptable. So the bicycle lanes have to go to make room for private motor vehicles. However, 2 to 5 minutes delay for public transit users is acceptable. So the buses and streetcars have to make room for private motor vehicles.

The war on public transit escalates.

How many times are you going to post this?

Okay, let's see if I can sort this out.
2 to 5 minutes delay for automobile drivers on Jarvis Street is unacceptable.
Okay, I agree with you here.
So the bicycle lanes have to go to make room for private motor vehicles.
I agree, makes sense.
However, 2 to 5 minutes delay for public transit users is acceptable.
I'm not sure I agree with you on this point. Why do you think a 2-5 min delay is acceptable?
So the buses and streetcars have to make room for private motor vehicles.
Agreed.

What picture? You've summarized your opinions above on the various matters, for example you said that 2-5 min delay for public transit is acceptable. Okay, fine that's your opinion, but what "picture"?

You've summarized your opinions above on the various matters, for example you said that 2-5 min delay for public transit is acceptable. Okay, fine that's your opinion, but what "picture"?

The big picture is: There's a double standard going on that Ford is perpetuating.

We'll see if Ford's persona as a cost-cutting-crusader lives up to its name. As for the mostly blatantly manufactured budget crisis ever? Confirmed!

2012 the doomsday budget? Not so much
Robyn Doolittle
Urban Affairs Reporter

Sitting in an uptown restaurant 11 months ago, a top official in Mayor Rob Ford’s inner fold revealed the master plan for his term.

The 2011 budget would be pain-free. The mayor would drain hundreds of millions in surplus and reserve funding left by David Miller and get three huge payoffs for it. One, Ford could deliver an unexpected property tax freeze to curry favour with the voters who just put him in office. Two, he could fill the structural deficit gap without making a single significant service cut. And three — the most important — it would remove the safety net.

“Councillors will be forced to approve what we put forward,” said the official. “It was never about 2011. The real showdown will be for 2012.”

That day is Monday.

City manager Joe Pennachetti will present staff’s recommended 2012 operating budget — which insiders say is heavily influenced by the mayor. A month of consultations and debate will follow, then it’s over to the executive committee Jan. 12, and finally council will make its decision the following week.

The three-day marathon meeting will be the most significant of Ford’s term to date. It will be the first indication of how much hard-line support the mayor has left after a year of embarrassing gaffes that made cross-country news.

“I won’t speculate on the numbers. But the mighty middle has grown,” said Councillor Josh Colle, de facto leader of the centrists on council, which are just a few votes shy of holding the balance of power.

Left-wing Councillor Joe Mihevc said Ford’s entire reputation is on the line.

“If he can’t cut those things he really wants to, those things he’s been after for years and years (as a councillor), that will be a big loss for Ford,” said Mihevc.

Back to that uptown meeting nearly a year ago: So what is it that the mayor is after?

He wants a smaller work force, said the official, and an end to pet social programs that he believes a broke city like Toronto has no business running. Ditto for many of the environmental projects. It’s nice to be green, but can taxpayers afford it? And when it comes to the arts, no one wants a war with TIFF, but is the private sector kicking in as much as it could?

Mayor Ford wants to contract out everything he can, not as some ideological swipe at the unions, but because it will actually save millions and millions of dollars, he added. Finally, the Ford administration was going to do what no other mayor had been able to. It was going to tame the police budget.

At the time, it all seemed very feasible.

But fast-forward to today, and that wish list isn’t looking so realistic anymore.

Case in point: James Pasternak, a freshman councillor representing York Centre, who for most of last year ranked among the true believers on the votes-with-Ford scorecard.

“The red lines have been drawn. I will not support cuts to many of our social services and arts programs. (Library) branch closures are a non-starter. Daycares — we’ve got a problem, but we can’t unilaterally just cut those without a parachute from the province… I support the environment,” Pasternak said.

Although he won’t explicitly admit the change, Pasternak is one of nearly half a dozen previously consistent right-wing voters who have moved towards the middle and out of the Ford whip.

“The votes in the different budget items are going to be tantalizingly close,” he said. “If you look at the votes in the last few council meetings, things are getting through or failing by one or two.”

In an email to the Star, Pennachetti declined an interview request, stating he won’t be making any comment until after the budget is released Monday.

The official line from the mayor’s office is that Pennachetti will need to find $774 million to balance the books, but for months it’s been known that number is drastically lower, thanks to unexpected property tax revenues from new buildings, the land transfer tax and Toronto Hydro dividends, among other things.

Most estimate the gap is somewhere around $200 million now, if not lower.

Throughout the week at City Hall, there has been wide speculation as to what Pennachetti will offer up to the guillotine to fill that gap, and what will be spared.

Most councillors feel the intense backlash over the KPMG report findings will keep libraries off the chopping block, but museums, some grants programs, and TTC funding — which would be mitigated by a 10- to 25-cent fare hike — are safe bets to be cut.

Firefighters will probably be left alone, given that the mayor’s office did a complete about-face on its pledge to rein in police spending. Daycares are a wild card. As is arts funding.

Ford has also signaled he can stomach somewhere between a 2 per cent and 3 per cent property tax hike, as well as some user fee hikes.

I don’t think it will be as scary as advertised a year ago. I don’t think we’re going to see any proposals that rip the very fabric of the city apart, as was suggested a year ago,” said Councillor Josh Matlow, a centrist.

When it comes down to it, the major savings are going to be in the bodies. Pennachetti has confirmed that this budget will include savings through attrition and layoffs.

Earlier this year, the Star learned the administration hopes to reduce the overall city workforce by as many as 3,000 people. The city’s voluntary severance program was largely unsuccessful. Only 230 buyouts were accepted of the 1,140 applications. It was not clear if those numbers include people in emergency services.

Asked if he thinks his colleagues are willing to make unpopular cuts, Deputy Mayor Doug Holyday, a longtime fiscal conservative, said they had better, “or they won’t be back here next time.”

“I think in the end, the majority will do it. I appreciate a lot of people here don’t want anything to change, but we can’t afford to do that without an enormous tax hike.”

http://www.thestar.com/news/cityhallpolitics/article/1093401--2012-the-doomsday-budget-not-so-much

Last edited:
I was at the Cavalcade of Lights thing on Saturday night and when Rob Ford was called out to the podium he got quite a few loud boos from the crowd..
I was one of the loudest, it made my heart warm knowing there are some smart people in this city. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back