News   Jul 18, 2024
 446     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 820     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

+2

I'm sick of the idea floating out there, especially among the anti-Ford camp, that despite all the crackin' and boozin' there had been a successful strategy executed.. The media especially, even in the end of Crazy Town, seems to hold this idea that the Ford's have had an intelligent strategy behind all of this.

The way this has been handled had been atrocious from all angles and is already as we speak being taught in school and business as ways NOT to handle crises. The logic behind Ford not having a 0% approval rating lies in a segment of the population that would have supported Ford if he had apologized from a crack house while high.

If it weren't for a technicality and a loophole that will surely be closed on October 28th, his "strategy" would have had him booted from office months ago, and too hell bent on substance driven oblivion to ever sniff it again.

+2

I'm sick of the idea floating out there, especially among the anti-Ford camp, that despite all the crackin' and boozin' there had been a successful strategy executed.. The media especially, even in the end of Crazy Town, seems to hold this idea that the Ford's have had an intelligent strategy behind all of this.

The way this has been handled had been atrocious from all angles and is already as we speak being taught in school and business as ways NOT to handle crises. The logic behind Ford not having a 0% approval rating lies in a segment of the population that would have supported Ford if he had apologized from a crack house while high.

If it weren't for a technicality and a loophole that will surely be closed on October 28th, his "strategy" would have had him booted from office months ago, and too hell bent on substance driven oblivion to ever sniff it again.

The ridiculous "approval ratings" that Ford continues to garner in these polls clearly come from all sorts of methodological flaws, from their small, unrepresentative sample sizes, to their 'quickie' nature and rampant response rate errors (the proportion of potential respondents who actually answered the questionnaire.) There's no question that numbers like 40% approval are next to meaningless.

Anyway, the biggest difference between people who hate Ford, and those who continue to 'support' him, is that those who 'support' him tuned out his bad behaviour months ago. Whereas those that hate him are deep into the weeds of every twist and turn in the scandal, every drunken appearance, every public sighting, they are obsessed with his weight, his teeth, his complexion, and wonder hourly what he is up too, and where he is.

Ford supporters couldn't care less about any of that, and they couldn’t care less about the facts of the scandal. They made their mind up months ago, and they aren't going to read or look at anything that might cause them to confront their choice, and possibly lead them to start doubting their man.

They've been on autopilot since the summer, and that's why the numbers don't change much. That's also why Rob doesn't need a "strategy" to hang on to them.

I would bet if you asked a dozen Ford fans about say, the mysterious Lisi package drops, the $5000 offer for the tape, the disappearing into the woods to drink a quart of vodka on a work day, the drunk driving, the drunken marauding around City Hall on St. Patrick's Day, etc, etc. they would have absolutely no clue what to say about any of it. They simply aren't paying attention.

In the end though, the thing that is going to do him in, is that the people who hate Ford and want him gone are EXTREMELY highly motivated voters, possibly the most highly motivated in Toronto's history. Whereas the number of people who are highly motivated to fight to re-elect him is likely to be no greater than 15%, if that. 

gotta love a web site that makes you register your name and address and so on, just to let you see something

dumb as a bag of hammers (apologies to any hammers I might have offended)

hilariously, they allowed me to indicate Bouvet Island as my country...

(hint: Bouvet Island is uninhabited)
Bouvet Island is popular with those who want to maintain their anonymity.

Rob Ford's body/suit is shaped oddly in that photo. Reminds me of David Byrne's big suit:

Most of the weirdness is lens distortion. It's a lousy photo, probably taken with a point and shoot. A fixed-length pancake lens would be better suited for this type of operation, but I'm guessing guys who walk around clubs being paid to take photos probably aren't all that discerning about equipment or take all that much care in their craft. I mean come on, cutting people off at the knees?

Last edited:
In the end though, the thing that is going to do him in, is that the people who hate Ford and want him gone are EXTREMELY highly motivated voters, possibly the most highly motivated in Toronto's history. Whereas the number of people who are highly motivated to fight to re-elect him is likely to be no greater than 15%, if that. 

Agreed. This is another piece of the discussion that is overlooked by anyone who claims Ford has a shot at being semi-relevant in the election.

Doug: Well folks, since we had great success with a past-his-prime American magician last week, we will be bringing in a pony show later this week. We are getting approvals from the OSPCA for Rob to ride around city hall on one of the ponies (we need a very, very sturdy pony for this task). There will be clowns, jugglers and we'll also throw out a few racist remarks later in the week and of course we will continue to hang out in clubs and attack the homosexual agenda. Ice cream will be provided to all the kids who show up for family day (definitely no treats for kids who have two mommies/daddies, of course).

Last edited:
Doug: Well folks, since we had great success with a past-his-prime American magician last week, we will be bringing in a pony show later this week. We are getting approvals from the OSPCA for Rob to ride around city hall on one of the ponies (we need a very, very study pony for this task). There will be clowns and we'll also throw out a few racist remarks later in the week and of course we will continue to attack the homosexual agenda. Ice cream will be provided to all the kids who show up for family day (definitely no ice cream for kids who have two mommies/daddies, of course).
Surely you mean Rob riding an ass (I know, it makes its own humour) while the Ford Cult throw palm leaves down in front of him as he rides around city hall. ;p

Most of the weirdness is lens distortion. It's a lousy photo, probably taken with a point and shoot. A fixed-length pancake lens would be better suited for this type of operation, but I'm guessing guys who walk around clubs being paid to take photos probably aren't all that discerning about equipment or take all that much care in their craft. I mean come on, cutting people off at the knees?

That *is* a bad photo and likely taken by an amateur, but normally club photogs use a fairly high-end DSLR with a flash + diffuser on the hot shoe. Since you don't have a lot of room in nightclubs, they'll usually shoot with shorter lenses like 28mm or 35mm, which isn't very good for portraiture since it exaggerates facial features, but you just can't properly shoot at ~85mm in a nightclub, you don't have the space and distributing on-camera flash that far will light up *everything* (if you could even find a powerful enough one) which isn't what you want.

Yes, but unless the Ford haters vote for the same one or two candidates, much of their anger will be wasted in a massive vote split.

Perhaps this will be a theme of the election, like in the Beaches, where all the candidates but one bowed out to ensure Bunnysuit Bussin was defeated.

Early in Ford's term I thought a positive spinoff of having such an appalling representative in the Mayor's seat might be a grassroots engagement that would not only oppose Ford in the next election but take on useless/devious councilors like Mammolitti, Shiner, Minnan-Wong, Nunziata. There was a group of younger people, connected and busy on social media, like Goldsbie, Matt Elliot and I think Metroman, who were always at City Hall, providing a new outlook on the happenings there. Think back then some people had taken to calling them the Scoobies, new amateur investigative reporters. Then there was the Code Blue response to the Portlands' ferris wheel proposal, and the support of the Eglinton LRT, in which older, more established people like Paul Bedford and Ken Greenberg helped organize and promote. But I haven't seen much energy from any of that heading into this election. Opposition to Ford hasn't developed any potential candidates to Ford, even as he has imploded. They seem resigned to waiting on Olivia Chow, untested in a city-wide campaign against the likes of Ford and unlikely to appeal to many of the moderate suburban voters who backed Ford last election. Little of the grassroots response has reached beyond old Toronto or its concerns. No new personalities have risen through civic engagement. As bad as this past council has shown itself to be on multiple occasions, almost any incumbent councilor who choses to run (even Georgio) will probably be reelected, just like before.

Also, compare and contrast the amount of citizen motivation to protest Ford around the time of his crack admission and pussy outburst versus the amount of citizen motivation to purchase bobbleheads.

Last edited:
Doug: Well folks, since we had great success with a past-his-prime American magician last week, we will be bringing in a pony show later this week. We are getting approvals from the OSPCA for Rob to ride around city hall on one of the ponies (we need a very, very study pony for this task). There will be clowns and we'll also throw out a few racist remarks later in the week and of course we will continue to attack the homosexual agenda. Ice cream will be provided to all the kids who show up for family day (definitely no ice cream for kids who have two mommies/daddies, of course).

What did Ford do this week? He was at City Hall 10 hours at most, met with a Chinese delagtion (not sure about what) and met with a football player and a magician. The guy is a waste of space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back