587     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 512     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that the driver was dating one of dougs daughters? loyalty you can't buy etc... and that's how he got in (more as a handler/chaperone of rob than a driver).
I know he's of the body building circle that surrounds them.

This spreadsheet talk makes me curious:

How did everyone find out about this thread? I came here pretty much solely for MetroMan's updates, but have stayed because of the conversation. I can't imagine I'm alone. It's nice to find a little slice of the internet where I can discuss this stuff with mostly normal, mostly sane, rational people.

I originally came to UT looking for West Donlands info, then stayed for the construction, real estate bubble, and Riverdale threads. Keeps me in touch with Toronto while I'm overseas.

Wow, this battle of the newbs is getting extremely arcane.

Haha, yeah. Due to work, I've been in some complex debates about who should use Python, who should use Excel, and who should just back TF away from the keyboard and mouse. I did not expect to see opinions about that kind of thing on this forum!

I'm a relative newb myself but not foolish enough to engage further on this topic ...

I'm pretty sure that the TPS and Attorney General would have considerable sway in assisting someone in having a full pardon granted... way more pull than the Fords paying a lawyer to accomplish the same task. Best protection to provide someone (Lisi) who would be in jail is for them not to be there in the first place...

Witness protection? I wouldn't want to be Lisi, in a jail, or out on the mean streets of Etobicoke, if I crossed the Ford family.

Lisi strikes me as the type of guy who is nothing without his old neighbourhood, friends -- even enemies. I don't see him starting from scratch somewhere with a new name, and heeding instructions to never contact anyone in his old life again (that includes mom). There have been lots of cases of guys who got the new Witness Protection identity but couldn't resist going back to their old stomping grounds and contacting old friends.

Of course that's not to say he isn't considering it; he may earnestly believe he can do it, but I think he would fail and be one of those guys who couldn't resist reaching back into his old life.

I was watching the news and they showed Mayor Ford and family arriving at Pearson Airport. I noticed their driver "Jerry" was there. If he is a City employee, he must be accumulating a lot of overtime.

Rather than use a City of Toronto chauffeur on OT, would it not be more cost efficient for Mayor Ford to put his family in a taxi?

They don't live far from the airport, and it was a personal trip, not a business trip. Transportation for him and his family when not on City business should not be at the expense of the taxpayers. Or, am I missing something here?

This does not apply to Ford. For every other councillor, it would be gravy.

What's dennis Morris's relationship to the fords. Is he a like a long time family lawyer or friend of his dads?

He can't simply be the first lawyer they called who would defend rob ford.

I know certain wealthy families who have lawyers who back generations within the family.

I seem to recall that Morris represented Randy in a case that involved kidnapping and a drug debt. It was in the G&M expose in May of last year....

yep, info on Dennis Morris representing Randy Ford in the kidnapping case was posted here around Aug 2013 (pg 1249 or so). Also noted in Kinsella's blog. That was back in 1986?? Morris is older than he looks, I guess?

It seems that Morris also represents Andre Gravelle of Hamilton. Gravelle is described as "A senior member of a Hamilton crime family, Gravelle has a record for drug and drug smuggling offences" (link at durhamregion.com) though he seems to have escaped the more serious murder charge:
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/2525347-andr-gravelle-11-others-charged-in-medical-marijuana-bust/

I don't know if any of that is connected to Ford, but Morris sure does represent a lot of people involved with drugs (-- I don't watch Breaking Bad, so I'll leave the references to the TV show's lawyer to those who know it better :p --)

The only connection to the city of Hamilton is... in the ITO the undercover cop was buying weed form Barbudan Dima, who apparently had to go to Hamilton to get it (starting from p. 381). Which in itself seems weird..., since the dry cleaner Bahrami was said to have "a personal marihuana production licence of 292 plants indoors" on Supertest Rd in Toronto (p.90).

What do you guys think criminality in the mayor's office could look like given that we have a weak mayor system and there are fairly tight restrictions on campaign donations?

I guess he could be paid fees to try to influence certain decisions even if in the end he has limited powers to do so?

What was in the envelopes/bags that Ford and Lisi were exchanging? There is a lot more to come, and it will not be good for Ford.

The mayor didn't read that.

And the mayor doesn't arrive until 1:30 and he leaves before 4, so maybe it all balances out. I'd imagine it's an expectation of political staffers that they be available outside office hours. The mayor's office isn't very busy developing policy. Their primary job appears to be managing the mayor's messes. Really doubt this guy is submitting a time card every week, but I could be wrong.

That leaves 21 hours a day - and weekends and holidays - that he has to be chauffeured elsewhere. It seems like every picture of the mayor includes his driver.

The night of the Steak Queen seems to have been an exception. It's a bit of a mystery of who drove him. No one wants to say.

Union or no union, his chauffeur ( or whatever he likes to be called ) is entitled to overtime.

2.6.3 Employment Standards Act, 2000
"Councillors must ensure that their staff work hours and assignments are in compliance with statutory requirements including overtime."

2.10 Hours of work
"The regular work day and work week are seven hours per day and 35 hours per week."
http://www1.toronto.ca/staticfiles/...lerks/city_council/files/pdf/handbook_ext.pdf

Last edited:
You think it could in any way relate to Doug's role at Build Toronto? Remember this story about the Ford power grab there from the summer:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-independent-directors-leave/article12375877/

I had forgotten all about that, with so much going on it's like a juggling act and the Fords keep adding more plates. As to Doug's role at Build Toronto, I'm sure he did his best to stack the board, but he got caught. Do we know who is on the Board now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back