441     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 971     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the driver ( whatever ) is on the City payroll ( union or non-union ) he still has to get overtime or Lieu Time ( Union get LT at time-and-a-half. Do non-union get LT at straight time? )

If he has to drive Ford every time he leaves the house that must accumulate a lot of OT or LT.

As I said, this trip to VAN with his family was not City business. I would have thought the short drive home from Pearson would have shown more "respect for the taxpayer" if he had paid for a cab out of his own pocket rather that call in a City employee.

You're pursuing the wrong angle on the driver.

First, he's not just a driver. Just last week when Dennis Morris was at council on the day MacIntyre filed suit, the driver was in on all the huddles on the council floor with the Ford "braintrust". (Why he's allowed in council is beyond me. He has no more right to be there than Ford's steroid-pushing personal trainer). Also, recall that he is also Ford's go-to guy to take photographs of citizens attending council. So, I'd say "foot soldier" is the most accurate job title.

Second, I'm convinced that Ford's sudden appearances at predominantly black churches immediately after hiring an ultra-religious black driver are not a coincidence.

As I mentioned, there's a story there.

Last edited:
The driver is a city employee, but in a political office.

He is on the City of Toronto's payroll.

He won't show up on any Sunshine list because he is employed directly by Rob - or, more likely, Deco.

Is he employed by the City, or by the Mayor?

Saw this from 2011. It made me curious if it could happen here?

"Montreal mayor's chauffeur makes more than $90,000"
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/06/17/montreal-mayors-chauffeur-makes-more-than-90000

"MONTREAL - The chauffeur of Montreal's mayor made more money last year than most municipal councillors,"

"During a 17-month period between November 2009 and March 2011, Aziz Taif worked at least 1,977 overtime hours paid at time-and-a-half, according to documents obtained through an access to information request."

Last edited:
Is he employed by the City, or by the Mayor?

He was a city hall security guard, and then became Ford's driver. I would imagine based on his presence at city hall, especially on the council floor, that he's a Ford staffer. I'm not sure private citizens get to huddle with the mayor and threaten spectators on his behalf.

It's interesting to find out what brought us all here (aside from a general connection regarding the "mayor"). It also lead me to some threads I haven't explored before, thanks!

See my quote immediately above. He is paid by the city. ParkdalePetunia is right: people who are not on the city's payroll typically cannot sit on the floor of Council during meetings.

Last edited:
Eh, what do I know? I only worked for the City of Toronto for 36+ years. Sure, I was loyal and did them a lot of favours. 24/7/365 I was available to the taxpayers. But, no freebies! Time and half, and triple time on Stat Holidays! :)

Love to see when this diver/whatever shows up on the Sunshine List.

Not going to lie, I have no idea how the compensation structure works for city employees. Everyone literally gets overtime outside of core hours? What about Rob, he claims to be answering phones late into the night, does he get overtime? What about those poor people in his office who I assume are always on call if a scandal breaks, do they get overtime for answering their phone at 2am? I mean, do we know exactly what this guy's employment contract entitles him to?

I'm just skeptical that this matters at all or that we have all the resources to make definitive statements, there's no need to throw your weight around. I'm admitting I don't know, if you have facts I'd like to hear them. God knows I'm not a Ford supporter, I've made that much clear, it's just this whole 'grasping at straws' thing that irks me.

I filed a complaint about Ford staffers being used for football. All I can say is regular hours aren't part of the deal if you are hired to work for a member of council ... and you get no union protection.

Details about regs for these workers can be found in the council handbook Rob hasn't bothered to read, available online.

Last edited:
So this guy does get overtime or what? I mean it would be an issue if he was getting paid by the city and using city property to do personal business for Robbie, but if it was a personal vehicle and he wasn't getting paid it would be entirely different. Rob certainly has used city staff for personal errands before, we know that, but that was during business hours or at the expense of their other duties. This *seems* to me more a personal favour than anything and I don't think even Rob Ford is dumb enough to charge this to the city, which is why I'm skeptical and would like concrete evidence before this thread runs off the rails again with rampant speculation.

As I said, as if we don't have enough to nail him on...

The driver does seem very dedicated to Ford. Given Ford's practices I would think he has put his previous security job at risk, and his time is no longer his own, having to serve Ford at odd hours and on weekends, so there had to be a significant improvement in his pay structure. They could pay Dave Price more than double the going rate, and hand out big pay boosts during crisis times in the office, so maybe they've decided to reward him well. Seem to be no controls, as long as the politician stays within their budget. More than a driver, he seemed to be a personal trainer and discipline coach for awhile, and that seemed to be working. I couldn't see any rate of pay that would make that job worth it, unless he was keeping notes and intending to write the inside story after Ford's downfall, but some people do seem to be loyal to the man.

No overtime. He'd be salaried. Just like all the employees who were babysitting Ford on St. Patricks Day.

Last edited:
*Completely* pointless regression. Why not use a 40th order polynomial? It'll be a perfect fit! This is quite literally meaningless.

Not at all. You can see that the only big contribution is x**2, swhich tells this thing is shooting to the moon. Which, of course, we already knew, but hey, not MEANINGLESS... ;-)

The mayor didn't read that.

And the mayor doesn't arrive until 1:30 and he leaves before 4, so maybe it all balances out. I'd imagine it's an expectation of political staffers that they be available outside office hours. The mayor's office isn't very busy developing policy. Their primary job appears to be managing the mayor's messes. Really doubt this guy is submitting a time card every week, but I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back