230     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 376     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 427     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine how unbearable the flight from van to tor will be for those passengers near him who will have to listen to him talk to his tv while watching the superbowl. I wonder if he pays for 2 seats when he flies? A friend of mine who's overweight has to do that.

My fiancee is flying back from Vancouver tonight - for her sake I hope he isn't on the same flight

At least in my circle, his voter base seems to have disappeared but there are certainly still people one sees interviewed on TV saying "he's the best mayor ever"!

That's sort of what I'm getting at. We see them on TV, we see them on the Internet, but I haven't met one in the flesh. Even my father (who luckily doesn't live in Toronto) only likes the 'subway' part of the Rob Ford agenda.

I take a lot of cab rides. Every driver I spoke to says they are going to vote for Rob Ford.
Do they find this helps with the tip?

I think that if I got unsolicited positive comments about Rob Ford from a cabbie, I'd be stopping, getting out, paying the fare, and not a cent more.

Though I'm yet to hear any political statements on the rare occasion I'm in a cab.

A quick Google suggests the pub and the hotel share the same address - so they would be on the same property. The news reports indicated he was ticketed outside the Shell Gas station across the street.

Maybe he was at the gas station to grab an envelope dropped off by Lisi...

Do they find this helps with the tip?

I think that if I got unsolicited positive comments about Rob Ford from a cabbie, I'd be stopping, getting out, paying the fare, and not a cent more.

Though I'm yet to hear any political statements on the rare occasion I'm in a cab.

Cabbies talk about the most random shit. I took a long cab ride with a guy who said he was an engineer in India but now he drives a cab (obviously), I told him I was a software developer and he said his son was, too, and we had a nice conversation about that industry and his family and he was a perfect gentleman. Then we got into the city proper and at a light he saw a woman crossing in night-life attire - short skirt and whatever, you know, and he was like "wow check out the legs on that girl, I'd like to fuck her so hard" I'm like "what".

I think having hundreds of random people in your car every day must do something to their internal filter, cabbies can be so goddamn random. Here was a family man, proud of his son, toiling around the city at night just to support them and he felt the need to tell me about his sexual desires.

I don't take taxis that often, but one time I did get on the topic of politics and I definitely felt him pull away from the conversation when I brought up RoFo. Never expressed any support for him though.

I wonder if this is the pro-ford book that she was shopping around but nobody wanted to publish. I don't blame them - who would read that?

Who wants to read a book that goes on and on touting about how Irritable Bowel Syndrome is a really good thing...

Many of these views are from the average person on the street, most without much of a defined political ideology at all. It's just the common perception that Ford is honest. It became this way because he keeps repeating it and the media keep reporting his quotes unchallenged.

I think people feel Ford is honest much in the way that people feel that those who have Down Syndrome are innocent bystanders of life (no offence here to people effected by DS - I'm just drawing a perspective comparison here). People always want to believe in the best of any situation.

I take a few cabs a week. The drivers that say they live closer to downtown don't like Ford. The ones that live in Mississauga like him more, for some reason.
No matter the length of the ride, if they express any support, I feel it is my civic duty to deliver a rant, even if truncated. :)
I wouldn't get out if they expressed initial support of Ford, because they are perhaps working from the basis of a lack of information, and I could help them.
However, if any cabbie started talking about women on the street he wanted to f*¢k, I would get out right there without paying! The difference, I guess, with being a female passenger.

I think people feel Ford is honest much in the way that people feel that those who have Down Syndrome are innocent bystanders of life (no offence here to people effected by DS - I'm just drawing a perspective comparison here).

Just a guess, but perhaps some of his support comes from the fact that many voters do not feel threatened by Rob Ford's lack of communication skills. We have all heard - not necessarily understood - him speak, and he does not seem to be a very literate man ( to put it mildly ).

I take a few cabs a week. The drivers that say they live closer to downtown don't like Ford. The ones that live in Mississauga like him more, for some reason.
No matter the length of the ride, if they express any support, I feel it is my civic duty to deliver a rant, even if truncated. :)
I wouldn't get out if they expressed initial support of Ford, because they are perhaps working from the basis of a lack of information, and I could help them.
However, if any cabbie started talking about women on the street he wanted to f*¢k, I would get out right there without paying! The difference, I guess, with being a female passenger.

That's criminal theft under $5000

The Venn diagram of book readers vs. Ford supporters is two circles that do not touch.

Which is exactly why Ford continues to speak "Headlines". His words are then printed in size 72 font. This is all that many need to read to feel informed. The rebuttal, if it comes at all, appears in small print thereafter.

Why don't newspapers report differently, knowing this to be the case? Knowing the damage this ogre is doing to our city? Please can we move forward? Please can we get better?

Just saw video on CP24 of Rob hanging out in Vancouver with a bunch of guys in suits who were passing a flask around. Classy group of guys there.

What??? Was Ford also drinking from the flask? And isn't that what we did when we were 16-18 and didn't we do it out of sight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back