544     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 505     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1K     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen "dropping logic bombs" used here quite a lot recently. I know the intended meaning, but - originally, at least - the phrase doesn't mean what you're using it to mean here.

Rather, it's a computing term: malicious code hidden quietly in a computer system until certain conditions are met, and then: payload delivery. A simple example would be a disgruntled bank employee who set up a system to cause havoc on a system if the logic bomb code ever detected that she was no longer an employee.

The new usage is rather satisfying, though. Possible Frod Nation bumper sticker: DROP LOGIC NOT BOMBS.

Interesting, I didn't know the origin, thanks. The new usage is satisfying and applies nicely: The morsel of logic that can blow the entire house of cards apart.

Adam Vaughan is a very smart and articulate guy with a pretty solid take on things in my view. But I think he gets frustrated at the stupidity of some of his opponents (Ford) and so he goes into overkill mode, throwing every piece of logic at it including replete with history and footnotes, all tinged with irony and sarcasm. To people that agree with him this can become a bit relentless. To the people that oppose him, they usually can't grasp what he's saying but they can tell he's running circles around them and probably making them look stupid, so they lash out violently.

Nailed it. He also needs to keep his emotions in check. He's the leftie opposite of rightie Mammoliti, both can make fools of themselves when the temperature in Council begins to rise. Out of Council Vaughan is working his butt off, Mamm's is home studying X-Files re-runs until the wee hours of the morning.

I think MacIntyre is the guy in the very back of the room near the glass door, his face partially peeking out behind two blond girls (just posting the link because it's a really big photo):
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1199594/thumbs/o-RENATA-FORD-TORONTO-MAYOR-facebook.jpg

another angle, from the same evening:
thumb-ford-family-560x315.png

at the ceremony to rename Douglas Ford Park, there is a guy who's there but pulls away from the family photo.
He's actually behind Doug in this pic
088726f545b2b8611cba4bf15bed.jpeg

in this video of the park ceremony, at the end you see them lining up to take photos, but he pulls away (around 5:30):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CnsqtnRhOc

Is that him? it kind of looks like the guy in the news site pics, though looking more like he's aged 10 years rather than just 4.

It is possible for Dofo to say he "really doesn't know the guy" if he thinks the guy is a tool and avoids him at all costs at family functions...

It's not entirely accurate but if Dofo really tries not to talk to the guy then I'll let him have that narrative. We all have people in our lives who we would/could treat in a similar fashion.

Adam Vaughan is a very smart and articulate guy with a pretty solid take on things in my view. But I think he gets frustrated at the stupidity of some of his opponents (Ford) and so he goes into overkill mode, throwing every piece of logic at it replete with history and footnotes, all tinged with irony and sarcasm. To people that agree with him this can become a bit relentless. To the people that oppose him, they usually can't grasp what he's saying but they can tell he's running circles around them and probably making them look stupid, so they lash out violently.

I do feel like relentless/ruthless is absolutely the only worthwhile stance to take toward Ford. He IS irrelevant, he IS a joke, and the only thing keeping him afloat is headlines (= media audience share). Vaughan is right to throw cold water on it any chance he gets, and history will vindicate him, I'll bet.

I do feel like relentless/ruthless is absolutely the only worthwhile stance to take toward Ford. He IS irrelevant, he IS a joke, and the only thing keeping him afloat is headlines (= media audience share). Vaughan is right to throw cold water on it any chance he gets, and history will vindicate him, I'll bet.

I agree completely. I'm only referring to Vaughan's debating technique, which I'm suggesting might work against him sometimes, even though his arguments themselves are usually spot on.

in this video of the park ceremony, at the end you see them lining up to take photos, but he pulls away (around 5:30):

Is that him? it kind of looks like the guy in the news site pics, though looking more like he's aged 10 years rather than just 4.

Repeated drug use and having the stuffing beaten out of you in jail will do that, although I'm not sure it's him - I think Kathy was there but the way it was shot she wasn't all that visible.

I think MacIntyre is the guy in the very back of the room near the glass door, his face partially peeking out behind two blond girls (just posting the link because it's a really big photo):
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1199594/thumbs/o-RENATA-FORD-TORONTO-MAYOR-facebook.jpg

another angle, from the same evening:

at the ceremony to rename Douglas Ford Park, there is a guy who's there but pulls away from the family photo.
He's actually behind Doug in this pic

yes that's him, he does look a lot older now, losing most of your teeth will do that

Repeated drug use and having the stuffing beaten out of you in jail will do that, although I'm not sure it's him - I think Kathy was there but the way it was shot she wasn't all that visible.

she's directly under the word "Park" in the sign

the way I see it left to right: DoFo daughter; Mikey, Renata holding Doug Jr; Rob; Diane; don't know who the woman is next to Diane; one of the little kids standing is Rob's daughter; Kathy; DoFo daughter; DoFo daughter; Randy and Doug's wife behind the two teen girls; then Doug; then the guy barely visible lurking behind Doug.

ya, in the video Kathy's constantly blocked by the DoFo daughter fussing with the dog.

she's directly under the word "Park" in the sign

the way I see it left to right: DoFo daughter; Mikey, Renata holding Doug Jr; Rob; Diane; don't know who the woman is next to Diane; one of the little kids standing is Rob's daughter; Kathy; DoFo daughter; DoFo daughter; Randy and Doug's wife behind the two teen girls; then Doug; then the guy barely visible lurking behind Doug.

ya, in the video Kathy's constantly blocked by the DoFo daughter fussing with the dog.

I always wondered a bit about families that called their kids "so-and-so II", "so-and-so the III" etc... I mean, how would you like to be called "Ted Bundy II" or "O.J. Simpson II" ?

Doug and his wife have four daughters: Krista, Kayla, Kara and Kyla. Originally they wanted just three, KKK, but the fourth was an accident :p

Dewart Gleason is representing MacIntyre. Looks like they think they will be able to examine RoFo under oath.......and looking forward to it!! I am too!

Brian Norris ‏@bri_norris 18h
@dewartgleason I suspect your followers count may see a nice uptick after issuing that Claim. Do you think you'll get Ford in an EUO?
Reply Retweet Favorite More Details
User Actions
Follow

Dewart Gleason LLP
‏@dewartgleason
A licence plate tells us he's ours to discover. #TOpoli MT @bri_norris: Will you get to question #RobFord under oath? pic.twitter.com/2ryikQOzp1
Reply Retweet Favorite More

If he is trying to communicate anything TO Ford, it doesn't matter what method Vaughan uses. Ford will completely ignore him as a downtown leftist elite.

Vaughan does better in trying to communicate the sane viewpoint to the public in general. But, I agree that when he gets frustrated he goes into overkill and that doesn't translate well to the general TV viewers. Better that he has been staying a bit quiet, unless there is a sane argument to be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back