396     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 555     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 888     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...er_accused_opt_to_head_directly_to_trial.html

While lawyers could seek access to the “crack video” so it could be included as evidence in the case, it’s unlikely.

“For many accused, the existence of the video only helps prove the crown’s allegations that they were involved in drug trafficking and the drug sub culture,” said criminal defence lawyer Daniel Brown, who previously represented a man accused in the Traveller raids.

Asked whether the prosecution would release the video, which was recovered from the laptop of one of the accused, crown attorney Paul Renwick said he would not comment on a case that is before the courts.

He can't call it the 'largest tax cut in Toronto history' if he's simply going to reallocate the money to his own favourite project.

That's right - essentially he has to promise no additional City money for any transit route otherwise it is re-allocating money. To be consistent with his "tax cut" message, Soknacki will have to have a transit policy that has only the current projects (Eglinton, SRT, Sheppard, Finch) being built and nothing else.

This is the big problem with voters right now. Municipal Government and Provincial government are two separate entities, we can't keep on excusing terrible decisions because we feel another level of government has made worse decisions. (I'm not even going to bother going into the gas plant scandal because it has been done to death, no matter how many times pro Ford ppl say that it's been ignored). What the Province did does not excuse Ford's insane behaviour and less than ethical dealings, it doesn't excuse Ford's billion dollar Subway boondoggle, it doesn't excuse Ford's behaviour towards voters, fellow councillors or the Province. This is what is usually referred to as deflection.

I do not think anyone is saying Fords behaviour is ok. They are saying it is less bad than what other politicians have done. Many people would like nothing more than to have Ford lose the election, but when the list of candidates finally appears, the fact is that Ford will be compared to the others and not judged against a predetermined criteria of what a good leader should be.

I do not think anyone is saying Fords behaviour is ok. They are saying it is less bad than what other politicians have done.
Show me the other politicians that beat their chest about being tough on crime and then hang out with gangbangers in their spare time. Show me the other politicians who are serial drunk drivers. Show me the other politicians who are photographed by police passing envelopes in a very suspicious manner. Show me the other politicians who say they are all for the police but refuse to talk to the police when they've been tied to someone who was murdered. Then we'll talk about less bad. The gas plant cancellations were a bad decision, but they were provoked by opposition politicians who will pander to any group of NIMBYs to get an advantage (see also bad decision on Scarborough subway for similar dynamic).

BTW, more than a little amused by the backlash against Soknacki's Scarborough LRT announcement. IMHO, it's 'now that we've won the debate, it shouldn't be re-opened' by subway transit enthusiasts and Ford supporters alike. Soknacki, with his 'largest tax cut in Toronto history' line, is focusing on a part of the debate Ford deliberately obfuscated: the huge extra cost. It's a good attack on Ford's claims of no tax increases, and opens up the next line of attack on costs/funding.

Great comment, and I agree.

I'd like to see Soknacki remind voters that in 2010, only Ford was pushing the subway and he received less than 50% of the vote. And that support was when his subway plan was to be fully funded by the private sector, i.e. no $1-billion tax increase.

Combine Smitherman and Pantalone's 2010 vote share, both of whom supported LRT, and the truth is that more people voted for candidates backing LRT expansion than they did subways. Ford has gotten away for far too long with his "landslide mandate" and "the people have spoken for subways" nonsense.

And let's also stop ignoring the huge operating subsidies for Ford's subway. The costs only seem to refer the cost to build it, but we'd still have to run it at enormous costs-per-rider. Let's add that to the mix.

If Soknaki (sp) or any other mayor does manage to turn around the Scarborough subway back to an LRT plan perhaps the "I saved you a BILLION dollars!" can be validly made.

See on the Star's site that Ford is saying a "text message" from the Wynne would suffice...he's grasping at straws for any kind of recognition. Pathetic.

BTW, more than a little amused by the backlash against Soknacki's Scarborough LRT announcement. IMHO, it's 'now that we've won the debate, it shouldn't be re-opened' by subway transit enthusiasts and Ford supporters alike. Soknacki, with his 'largest tax cut in Toronto history' line, is focusing on a part of the debate Ford deliberately obfuscated: the huge extra cost. It's a good attack on Ford's claims of no tax increases, and opens up the next line of attack on costs/funding. I bet the DRL/Don Mills LRT gets a place in his platform soon, paid for by the savings on Scarsub.

If I'm Soknacki, it goes sort of like this -- which would you rather have? A smooth ride all the way to the core, or a crappy ride that dumps you at Bloor/Yonge to be added to the sardines, IF you can get on a train?

And the cost side looks like this: Ford spent $300 million of reserves in his first year. I put away that money for an emergency, like the ice storm, and he spent it on cops and no tax increase.

I think we'll be hearing from Soknacki all the way to October.

I'm impressed simply that he had the balls to do this. Early in his campaign, he took a crystal-clear stand on a huge and sensitive issue that could sink him or win it for him, IMO. He put himself out there and risked pissing some voters off in the hopes that many more would see the sense in his vision. We don't see too much of that anymore.

I'm impressed simply that he had the balls to do this. Early in his campaign, he took a crystal-clear stand on a huge and sensitive issue that could sink him or win it for him, IMO. He put himself out there and risked pissing some voters off in the hopes that many more would see the sense in his vision. We don't see too much of that anymore.

Yes, I agree. That is exactly what we need too, is someone with vision. I am glad that he has surrounded himself with smart people as well, with good senses of humour. I hope he can keep it up.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...er_accused_opt_to_head_directly_to_trial.html

While lawyers could seek access to the “crack video†so it could be included as evidence in the case, it’s unlikely.

“For many accused, the existence of the video only helps prove the crown’s allegations that they were involved in drug trafficking and the drug sub culture,†said criminal defence lawyer Daniel Brown, who previously represented a man accused in the Traveller raids.

Asked whether the prosecution would release the video, which was recovered from the laptop of one of the accused, crown attorney Paul Renwick said he would not comment on a case that is before the courts.

I'd love to get the opinion of somebody with some legal system savvy on this. The articles are framing it as "unprecedented" and significant. My guess would be that a) the gang members were offered something, a deal of some kind, in exchange for not getting mired in hearings, or b) the defence sees some kind of advantage in pressing forward and getting into a courtroom. Anyone? Any thoughts?

That's right - essentially he has to promise no additional City money for any transit route otherwise it is re-allocating money. To be consistent with his "tax cut" message, Soknacki will have to have a transit policy that has only the current projects (Eglinton, SRT, Sheppard, Finch) being built and nothing else.

Not going to be easy, however, it's doable, especially if he relies on Metrolinx, and Provincial revenue tools.

The first question is how to deal with the accumulated costs of cancelling projects mutiple times form Ford's folly.

If Soknaki (sp) or any other mayor does manage to turn around the Scarborough subway back to an LRT plan perhaps the "I saved you a BILLION dollars!" can be validly made.

See on the Star's site that Ford is saying a "text message" from the Wynne would suffice...he's grasping at straws for any kind of recognition. Pathetic.

Actually the Star cartoon of an IM exchange between Wynne and Ford (more like Ford stalking Wynne like a jilted lover) is priceless.

Some good stuff coming out about Ford today. He admitted on the American radio show that he has 6 condos in Florida. Another crack in the 'everyman' lie.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...-ford-says-he-has-like-six-condos-in-florida/

Everyman mayor Rob Ford says he has ‘like six’ condos in Florida
Carolyn Turgeon | January 16, 2014 9:57 AM ET

Rob Ford, who isn’t shy to position himself as just a regular guy, told a U.S. radio show today that he owns “like six” condos in Florida.

The Toronto mayor said he has “a few condos” in Hallandale, in southeastern Florida, and “that’s it” on Thursday during his weekly appearance on Washington, D.C.’s The Sports Junkies.

One of the hosts replied “I have zero condos in Florida, Mayor Rob Ford."

Plus he talked about pot laws, and showed he doesn't know the difference between decriminalization and legalization.

Last edited:
If only the "everyman" types out there would see through that lie because they buy it hook, line and sinker for some reason.

I don't understand why he's trying to force this meeting. Didn't they just request money from the province and feds Monday? Why isn't he demanding to meet Harper, too.

I suspect he's doing it because he knows she won't meet with him. As such, he can continue to feed his victim complex. A lot of Ford voters are not the folks who would vote for the Liberals, so by using the Liberals as a villain, he's instantly positioning himself as a sort of protagonist. He can take a negative (I have had my powers stripped and nobody wants to work with me) and turn it into a positive (you know those people you hate? They hate me too, so I am the enemy of your enemy. I am your friend).

It's moderately savvy, if incredibly transparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back