3K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe there are a few illegitimate children the Ford brothers can throw on the 2014 ballot for council. Keeping a political dynasty going is tougher than it looks. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Newmarket contracted out Garbage collection years ago. Turtle Island Recycling won the original contract, and there were a hiccup or two the first couple of weeks, but they quickly settled in and were fine. GFL bought out TIR around the end of 2011, over the course of 2012, the trucks all got re-painted and many of the two man trucks became one man. Much of the complaints have been since then. My street is among the first picked-up on our day, so they are pretty much always on time, and I've had no issues. There are often still trucks still driving around elsewhere in the neighbourhood well into the evening. They need at least one more truck per area per day, but I guess a guy or two and a few hours overtime are cheaper, but they are getting to the point now that they don't even finish an area on it's day.

And of course, since Newmarket sold all their trucks, and let all their workers go, there's no way they can back out now, no matter how bad the service is.

SOP for outsourcing providers, do a really aggressive bid initially to encourage the business to go to you, then gradually increase the price and decrease the service levels as you go forward and the client's stuck with you.

Poll

I'm not home now to post a link but Don Peat just posted the latest poll results. People think Ford did the best job during the ice storm and 35% would vote for him for mayor. Chow was next with 30%, then Tory, Stintz and Socknaki (sp?)

I'm not home now to post a link but Don Peat just posted the latest poll results. People think Ford did the best job during the ice storm and 35% would vote for him for mayor. Chow was next with 30%, then Tory, Stintz and Socknaki (sp?)

With the exception of Stintz, how are the other candidates even included in that poll? They're not really in a position to do anything.

With the exception of Stintz, how are the other candidates even included in that poll? They're not really in a position to do anything.

Ford did very little that was concrete during the ice storm. I'm not aware of Chow or Tory doing anything much either; Stintz did some communicating/investigating on behalf of constituents, but nowhere near as much as Josh Matlow, who - if Twitter is anything to go by - seemed to be constantly working to get answers and help residents in his ward.

I suspect there are two questions being confused: who did the best job during the ice storm (Ford, Wynne?, someone else at municipal level?) and who would you vote for (list of declared and undeclared candidates)?.

Forum Research has been sufficiently discredited, i think, to make these results seem like more trolling than polling

i mean, what would bring more attention to that company right now, ford fear mongering or accurate predictions?

The average Joe doesn't know or care about Forum research. They just see poll results and say "people support Ford" or whatever. Sigh.

the following is about newmarket, but i thought i'd share it for those that have GFL for garbage pick-up and were sharing issues they've had or are having...
snip snip....

Our house is right near the start of the pickup schedule, I think, as trucks are usually coming up our lane shortly after 7am. Service has generally been good, but things like large items, yard waste, and this week Christmas trees are often missed. Our whole 'hood is littered with Christmas trees that were put out for Saturday pickup but have not been picked up yet. Not sure if that's a contracted GFL thing, anyone know?

I 311'd it this morning, finally.

PinkLucy is right, most people never make it beyond the first couple of lines, especially in our flash culture, nor do they actually understand that polls are as uncertain as home pregnency tests.

Ford did very little that was concrete during the ice storm. I'm not aware of Chow or Tory doing anything much either; Stintz did some communicating/investigating on behalf of constituents, but nowhere near as much as Josh Matlow, who - if Twitter is anything to go by - seemed to be constantly working to get answers and help residents in his ward.

I suspect there are two questions being confused: who did the best job during the ice storm (Ford, Wynne?, someone else at municipal level?) and who would you vote for (list of declared and undeclared candidates)?.

That's just it, polls and such are all about the questions. This time Robbie didn't hide in his SUV with his family, and came back from where ever he and his family were. Even if he didn't look too animated, he was there, and at least trying, hence his remark to Stintz about not being at the pressers. People who work for a living do their actual job, and go unnoticed until there is a problem, then there's a scramble to find a scapegoat, and a "fix" only they can accomplish. At least that's what I have come to expect.

The people of Tornoto did the best job, we endured the ordeal, just like we always do; the works who actually dealt with the mess with the numbers they had/have are a close second. The fail goes to the vaugueness, and egos of some individuals on camera.

ZZZZZZZZiiiinnnnngggg. Thanks. That made my morning.
As an immigrant who arrived late in Miller's final term, I didn't know anything about Lastman until more recently. I still remember the moment at which someone explained to me that the guy in the ridiculous TV commercial had been Mayor of Toronto.

"Huh? But he looks like an imbecile!"

Of course, three years into the Fordian era, that doesn't seem so crazy now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back