888     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 792     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 583     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adding: The lack of vision is one of the things that bothers me the most about Ford (besides the lying and criminality). He and his national minions just complain and vote against things, rather than trying to come up with solutions to the very real problems we have. Or if he does have any ideas, they are ridiculous (ferris wheels) or kick backs to friends (GFL).

I picked up on that about Rob when he was campaigning. It was always about what he was going to cut, stop, eliminate, undo: cancel Transit City, replace streetcars with buses, abolish the VRT, clear weeds, paint over graffiti, halve the size of council ... aside from the fact he really only succeeded on the VRT issue, he hasn't really accomplished any of those things and some of them he hasn't really brought up since the campaign (such as reducing the size of council). There was no overall vision of what he wanted to do for the city, just of what he wanted to do to the city, which was to fix the superficial things that bugged him (weeds) and undo Miller's work.

The common refrain from outsiders about the mayor of this city, is starting to ring true. Not so much "what is wrong with this guy" anymore but, "what is wrong with the people of Toronto" for allowing this freakshow to continue...

This. This exactly.

If this kind of nonsense is allowed to go on uninterrputed - and it has been - then there naturally comes a point where Ford's antics simply become routine, no matter how outrageous they are. Once that happens, the focus logically shifts to the rest of us, who appear to be doing nothing but gape like goldfish while a clearly out-of-control, wild-eyed lunatic is allowed to rampage unopposed.

Sadly, the strategy of stepping back and waiting for Rob to conveniently self-implode is not working. I do not look forward to the next ten months of a mayor dancing around in his underpants for the media, getting a free pass from council and tearing this great city apart.

I couldn't agree more, and the most frustrating thing about the entire poisonous situation is that nobody in a position of real power or responsibility is actually doing anything about it. Viewing that footage of Fatso gettin' his groove on at city council, I was disgusted by Ford, but my real contempt was stoked by the clownish woman dancin' right along with him. (Nunziata again, right?) What the fuck could have possibly been rattling around in her evidently cavernously empty head that might have suggested this was a good idea? As Pam McConnell was quoted in that quite good Wire article linked to a couple of pages back:

"Right now, under the kind of microscope that we’re under, it just seems to me that we’re not taking it very seriously, the whole world is looking at us."

Oh, gee, ya think?

So in the thing where Ford said he was giving Renata money for Christmas---did he inadvertently reveal more about how their relationship works than he intended? Why doesn't she have access to the family finances? Is that why she can't leave? Seems to me it raises a lot of questions.

I picked up on that about Rob when he was campaigning. It was always about what he was going to cut, stop, eliminate, undo: cancel Transit City, replace streetcars with buses, abolish the VRT, clear weeds, paint over graffiti, halve the size of council ... aside from the fact he really only succeeded on the VRT issue, he hasn't really accomplished any of those things and some of them he hasn't really brought up since the campaign (such as reducing the size of council).

Oh he most certainly has brought up reducing the size of council since he was elected. He was babbling about it earlier this year, but failed to achieve anything meaningful. That's Standard Operating Procedure for our Robbie. On reflection, I'm surprised he hasn't been super, super sincerely sorry for not reducing the size of council.

It's only natural that reducing the Council from the current diverse 44 to a hand-picked cabal of library-torching mouthbreathers is a goal for Ford. It's a necessary part step to achieve his dream of a Reich of a thousand years and no taxes.

There was no overall vision of what he wanted to do for the city, just of what he wanted to do to the city, which was to fix the superficial things that bugged him (weeds) and undo Miller's work.

Now that's an astute observation: Ford does nothing for the city, but does plenty to it.

So in the thing where Ford said he was giving Renata money for Christmas---did he inadvertently reveal more about how their relationship works than he intended? Why doesn't she have access to the family finances? Is that why she can't leave? Seems to me it raises a lot of questions.
Sadly, I know couples where the breadwinner controls the finances -- remember when husbands used to give their wives "housekeeping" money? It's all rather old fashioned, but it still does go on.

I also know dual-income couples that maintain separate accounts which I've also always thought odd. I've been married for a lot of years and we've always had joint finances. The only issue is at gift-buying time using a credit card and the purchase shows up on the statement :)

In any day 2 bucks is fishy...

$2 was not necessarily the purchase price of the house. Title deeds in the 70's did not always reflect the actual purchase price. The front page contained boiler plate that read ".....for the price of $2 and other valuable consideration..." or some such phrase as that. The "valuable consideration" was listed in a schedule on another page of the document. When the province automated the registry system they did not want to go digging through each title deed to find actual purchase prices, so they just went with whatever was in the title abstract - ususally this listed details from the front page of the title deed. To find out the price, you would have to get the title deed itself.

Last edited:
People who support Ford don't have a problem with him living the high life, even if it's at their expense. Ford supporters have a blind devotion and subservience to authority. They save their resentment for the people they are told to hate by people like Ford. At 40% of the population (with an easy additional 20% who would go along to get along), we're much closer to the "F-word" than we might like to admit.

Yup. I suggest reading Bob Altemeyer's "The Authoritarians" -- tremendously applicable to this situation.

About that Daniel Dale lawsuit, maybe he should re-up and train the guns on the delightful peanut gallery at 'Hate The War On Ford':

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...comment_id=1186489&offset=0&total_comments=79

Starting with the smarmy twit hosting this libel-fest.

Let's see, according to the comments,the illustrious leader said he had a "perv" on his land ... but now he says he didn't. So even though we always believe said illustrious leader (because he's never been known to lie!), we still think Dale was doing something creepy and we'll just ignore the fact that Ford took back everything he said ... So confusing! :)

Comments can be so entertaining

It's only natural that reducing the Council from the current diverse 44 to a hand-picked cabal of library-torching mouthbreathers is a goal for Ford. It's a necessary part step to achieve his dream of a Reich of a thousand years and no taxes.

And not surprising, none of his talk about reducing Council has mentioned anything about how the wards would be reorganized, if at all, or how much it would cost to reorganize a political entity like this.

Ford really does amount to nothing but talk on many issues, including taking credit for things he had nothing to do with or even voted against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back