308     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 471     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 654     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that's how the younger generation thinks, we are screwed, bro.

But the real monsters of humankind look just like you and me. The fact is you WILL see an absolutely horrible human being pick up and cradle a wounded bird, or give his old grandma a foot massage. Same person kills a child the next day in cold blood. The problem is people who think bad guys look like Disneyfied monsters with horns and evil eyes and blood dripping from their jaws. That's why when they see an apparently "average" person with a few sane ideas they refuse to believe s/he could be evil.

Fortunately, I think the younger generation for the most part does NOT think that way. I'm just appalled at the idea that anybody could be really specific about the mad Austrian's good ideas, and kind of vague about the bad ones. Just one kid on the fence who gets pushed the wrong way is one too many.

You're too right in your second paragraph. The whole history of the 1930-ish-to-1945 era is why I wrote "despair about what it means to be human" in my original post on this subject.

Well, you know who didn't have any good ideas and murdered even more people? Stalin. Feel better now? :p

Anyway, you gotta give Ford credit for not being as messed up as those two stains on humanity.

MTown:

Well, he is nowhere as organized as those two. Incompetence does provide a certain benefit - he can't give everyone a job, for one - much less orchestrate any more complicated nefarious schemes (and besides, unlike those two, he is a truly awful public speaker). It is really quite interesting to dissect the rhetoric of this mad populist and compare it against the 20th centuries' most notorious though - or barring that, a handwriting analysis would do.

Do recall his musings about being the PM - this guy has some serious power trip that is short circuited by his failings.

AoD

Last edited:
Well, you know who didn't have any good ideas and murdered even more people? Stalin. Feel better now? :p

Anyway, you gotta give Ford credit for not being as messed up as those two stains on humanity.
Stalin got subways built. So, you know, there's that.

This is a work event for the reporters. It's not their job to enable or un-enable Ford. This is a politician throwing a work-related holiday party for co-workers and people who do their job around his job. They are in their capacity as guests (hence no filming, etc) but they are not warmly-welcomed "friends" there -- they know it and the Fords know it. He's asked that they not take pics inside the home (I think that's fair) but he knows they are attending so they can report on it and on him.
Robyn Doolittle seemed upset at Goldsbie for being there, suggesting that anyone who showed up were all so many Joe Warmingtons, and I think she's right. How many days ago was it when he slandered one of their colleagues and now they're allowing themselves to be schmoozed, patronized and co-opted by the Ford's money and fake family values. It's not a public event that has anything to do with city business, so there's no purpose for media there. Seems to me that's there's a lot less reason for them to be a Christmas party at mom's house than there is to be standing at the end of Ford's driveway when he refuses to answer questions (or to be checking out the property behind his house when he's trying to buy public land). We're all slack-jawed gawkers here and maybe it's hard to resist the opportunity to view the animals picking nits off each other in their natural terrain, but I think the serious journalists would have little to do with this invitation. People tried to drive Ford away and he wouldn't leave. Need to continue to treat him like he doesn't belong there.

Oh, come on now, you're just trying to bait somebody into arguing that the crazy Georgian had quite a few good ideas, adding up to bigger positives than one could attribute to the mad Austrian ... ;-) (Bitter joke, just to be really really clear.)

Seriously, God, so much murder by both guys and by so many others. It puts Toronto's present agony in perspective.

I must thank those that start their post with "not to derail the thread....." Because it allows me to scroll to the Ford stuff when I'm too tired to read everything. :)

I must thank those that start their post with "not to derail the thread....." Because it allows me to scroll to the Ford stuff when I'm too tired to read everything. :)

Oops....I should have started that with.....not to derail the thread....:(

Uh, I apologize if I got everyone off on some Hitler thing. I was really trying to use obviously absurd hyperbole to demonstrate that Black's excuse for every crazy thing Ford said was that "it's just his opinion," and it's not his job to debate him on air. On the Internet, one inevitably invokes Godwin's Law to point out the absurdity but, yeah...things spiralled there.

As for the party....it's the same as the other media stuff and I have mixed feelings. I think they should have boycotted...but I also think someone had to be there on principle. I think Goldsbie would hardly know what to do with himself without Ford at this point...I guess I'm mostly inclined to agree with Dolittle even if her "you're with us or against us," thing seems a bit harsh.

The brave thing for media to do is just ignore his pathetic attempts to seem like ordinary joe, especially a day after he called one of their colleagues a pedophile, smirking with his, "I cannot comment on a video I have not seen..." smirk. He's like an Internet troll they can't help feeding and I understand why - sincerely - but they need to stop documenting every moment of Fordfest or his mom's Xmas party because, as we've seen, this is precisely what fuels him. He's a terrible mayor but he loves being a rock star and this is how you treat a rock star, not a mayor.

MTown:

Well, he is nowhere as organized as those two. Incompetence does provide a certain benefit - he can't give everyone a job, for one - much less orchestrate any more complicated nefarious schemes (and besides, unlike those two, he is a truly awful public speaker). It is really quite interesting to dissect the rhetoric of this mad populist and compare it against the 20th centuries' most notorious though - or barring that, a handwriting analysis would do.

Do recall his musings about being the PM - this guy has some serious power trip that is short circuited by his failings.

AoD
True, but I would say he's not as psychopathic either. Though, he's equally delusional and paranoid.

Seriously, God, so much murder by both guys and by so many others. It puts Toronto's present agony in perspective.

In Hitler's case, and in Ford's case, they were both empowered by opportunity, and a polarized electorate. Ford's allies, and supporters, thought they could tame Ford, the same way HItler's allies and supporters thought they could control Hitler.

Scary stuff. Especially given Ford's attitudes towards various minority groups, and left leaners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back