News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 530     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
‏@tamaracherry 21m
Arguments done for the day re: releasing more Lisi ITO info. We are at mercy of Justice Ian Nordheimer

It's pretty clear Fatso's main plank in the upcoming election is going to be "Rob Ford: History's Greatest Martyr." I'd like to think Toronto's electorate is generally sick to death of him by now (his small but noisy base of hardcore supporters notwithstanding), and will continue to be so even if he doesn't end up charged with anything...But I dunno. I've learned over the years that expecting consistent common sense or wisdom from THE PEE-PUL is a shortcut to bitter disappointment. I'm still holding out hope the cops actually knew what they were doing, and that Ford is going to get nailed for something. But from this vantage point, it doesn't look promising.

It's pretty clear Fatso's main plank in the upcoming election is going to be "Rob Ford: History's Greatest Martyr." I'd like to think Toronto's electorate is generally sick to death of him by now (his small but noisy base of hardcore supporters notwithstanding), and will continue to be so even if he doesn't end up charged with anything...But I dunno. I've learned over the years that expecting consistent common sense or wisdom from THE PEE-PUL is a shortcut to bitter disappointment. I'm still holding out hope the cops actually knew what they were doing, and that Ford is going to get nailed for something. But from this vantage point, it doesn't look promising.

I don't know what to think at this point, having only online comments to judge. I mean, I hope that his followers are a tiny group, just very vocal...or each of them has 5 different accounts. :) I've also seen other comments along the lines of "I voted for him, he's a disaster, I'll never vote for him again." But there's a huge segment of the pop. that doesn't pay attention to the facts, they just believe Ford's lies...or have such hatred for the left-wing boogieman Ford sold them that they'll vote out of spite. It doesn't matter how many times the Star or the Globe or the Post dispel his fiscal myths if his believers only get their news from the Sun. I've heard anecdotal evidence from friends about this very phenomenon. I have to hope that his moral bankruptcy is enough to sway even those who think he's been a great mayor otherwise....that in their hearts, they couldn't possibly support a crack-smoking, wife-abusing, drunk-driving asshole.

IMHO,

Metroman is starting to drop the ball! Previous to his last postings, he stated fords were not gonna have a good Christmas! Now his sources think fords will be untouched! That's a hard 180 degree shift!

IMHO,

Metroman is starting to drop the ball! Previous to his last postings, he stated fords were not gonna have a good Christmas! Now his sources think fords will be untouched! That's a hard 180 degree shift!

Disappointing, yes - but don't shoot the messenger!

IMHO,

well, if his TPS source was previously optimistic that Lisi would take a deal and roll on the mayor, but now feels that Lisi and his lawyers were just stringing the Crown along and don't have any intention of cooperating, that would explain the shift.

I really hope they didn't pin the whole case on the testimony of a co-conspirator. Even in a case where the co-conspirator is eager to testify, it only makes the jury wonder if defendant 1 is piling blame on defendant 2 just to take culpability off himself. I never like those cases: one liar/criminal testifying against another.

I'm guessing most people (on both sides of the political spectrum) only know/care about the fact that Ford admitted to smoking crack. It's the only storyline that's getting followed because it's the easiest one to understand. All this other stuff that's come out is probably not getting through to people who have only occasionally paid attention to events since May, and the superficial coverage coming from the US has only made things worse. As long as crack remains the central talking point, Ford has a pretty good chance of waging a comeback.

Also, this idea that the majority of Asian voters will automatically vote for someone like Chow simply because she's Chinese, is overly simplistic, not to mention slightly offensive.

I'm guessing most people (on both sides of the political spectrum) only know/care about the fact that Ford admitted to smoking crack. It's the only storyline that's getting followed because it's the easiest one to understand. All this other stuff that's come out is probably not getting through to people who have only occasionally paid attention to events since May, and the superficial coverage coming from the US has only made things worse. As long as crack remains the central talking point, Ford has a pretty good chance of waging a comeback.

Yup...the same people who think the city budget was only written last week.

well, if his TPS source was previously optimistic that Lisi would take a deal and roll on the mayor, but now feels that Lisi and his lawyers were just stringing the Crown along and don't have any intention of cooperating, that would explain the shift.........

This is unfortunately also my takeaway from the Star's article yesterday. They didn't say it in so many words, but to really to nail Ford, TPS really needed wiretaps on Lisi's phone (and therefore his conversations with Ford) on those crucial three days in May. Wiretaps on Lisi didn't begin until much much later. So, ergo, they have nothing and would have to rely on Lisi rolling over. Given the stakes involved, my bet is the Ford family would use both sticks and carrots to make sure this did not happen.

For that reason I am not optimistic.

Just hoping that it's still almost a year away from elections, still plenty of time for RF or DF to fuck up!!

Also, this idea that the majority of Asian voters will automatically vote for someone like Chow simply because she's Chinese, is overly simplistic, not to mention slightly offensive.

Not to mention false and unsubstantiated.

While Chow may be an easy sell to the first generation Canadians, the older crowd (their parents) who are much more traditional (socially falling very right of centre) are not cheering for Chow by virtue of her heritage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back