2.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 851     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was under the impression that only workers close to retiring or at retirement age were being offered buyout packages. A friend suggested recently that this is the best way to go to reducing the number of staff at city hall. Offer the packages then simply don't replace many of the workers as they leave.

And simultaneously lose a lot of knowledge about the city and how it works, while losing potential bright/young replacements to other municipalities. But, mind you, in Ford's Toronto, employees are always burdens, and never assets.

And simultaneously lose a lot of knowledge about the city and how it works, while losing potential bright/young replacements to other municipalities. But, mind you, in Ford's Toronto, employees are always burdens, and never assets.
Not only that, but people are turning down job offers at the city because of what's going on. A friend of mine just did that and he would have been an asset to the city. They're going to have a hard time attracting qualified people for the next few years. So there's Rob Ford's legacy, a workforce full of people who are only there because they can't get jobs anywhere else.

I was under the impression that only workers close to retiring or at retirement age were being offered buyout packages. A friend suggested recently that this is the best way to go to reducing the number of staff at city hall. Offer the packages then simply don't replace many of the workers as they leave.

It's being offered to everyone. But it only really makes sense to take for the people who are within the 6 months to retirement to top up their pension.
The people who will be laid off are the people who are more recently hired within the last couple years, the same people who thought that they had enough job security to maybe start a family or get themselves a mortgage. Sad times.

The Female councillors are communist.

Any minute now, Councillor McConnell is going to come an d force us all into work camps.

I wonder how many would oppose that here if i was to build a DRL?!?!?!

Forgive the Godwin, but it is almost Hitler like how Ford wants to disassemble public service unions, but sees no problem rewarding the police with one of the finest contracts they've ever gotten. This police force is not one to be proud of too, as it has been the centre of allegations of corruption, abuse, and other questionable decisions on behalf of its officers. This does not include the G20, which both the conduct during and following the event, has made the Toronto Police Force the most disgraced in the country, if not the continent!

Ford the Facist has no problems destroying unions in which its members make Toronto a better place to live, just as long as the police are there to ensure the citizens stay in line and do as they are told...

Last edited:
The police bungled the G20 and there are some disturbing cases being brought to light recently.

I think the statement of Toronto's police force being the most corrupt and worse on the continent though is a bit over the top. People on this board really like to ratchet up the rhetoric at times. Ford simply doesn't like unions in the public sector. He sees them as drains on the tax payer. I know many people that hate unions especially in the public sector. I don't agree with Ford's stance on unions.

But he never hid his dislike of them and made it clear what he would do if he was ever in charge at city hall. This doesn't make him evil.

Just either simply misguided or having his own world view. And people simply don't understand the meaning of fascism the way they constantly throw that word around. Ford isn't anything close to being a fascist. A bully on the other hand? That I would say is an accurate. Ford does come across as being a bully. Lots of politicians and management types are bullies though.

In fact, I would say that bullying is a natural trait that allows certain individuals to move up the ranks and take charge. Along with other less then flattering traits.

Last edited:
Some would say that describes a large portion of the existing city workforce quite nicely.

I can generalize as well! Some of those people who think like this are the ones who support slashing staffing in the name of efficiency, and then complain some more about the fact that city services aren't being delivered. They also listen to Rush Limbaugh and are ones driving SUVs and honking at you to make that left turn before the light turns red.

The problem is that we have a political/business model based on the short term. The business model shouldn't be applied to certain types of services delivered through the government either.

Some would say that describes a large portion of the existing city workforce quite nicely.
Some would be wrong. A lot of people prefer working for the public service, despite the generally lower salaries compared to the private sector.

Some would be wrong. A lot of people prefer working for the public service, despite the generally lower salaries compared to the private sector.

I don't know about that. Are municipal jobs lower paying than those in the private sector? Looking down the list of available jobs a while ago, government jobs pay quite a bit more than comparable private sector positions. It's definitely true for provincial jobs.

In any case, I have no problem with the city paying more for a great workforce - unfortunately a lot of government workers take advantage of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back