44     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 331     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 369     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't fit the cruel twist of fate angle. McAdams is pretty enough but has a Shakespearian background (not to be confused with being in Shakespeare in Love) and has been in a Woody Allen movie for crying out loud.

The sexist bit regarding Doolittle and her being noticed as much for her *hotness* (my new forum-friendly replacement word?) as much as her journalistic skills is not a story I'm gonna get too teary-eyed about. She's got a great career, she's getting very famous, has a book coming out, and is well...everybody thinks she's hot. It's not like she got cancer.

And in my own defence, I really, really, REALLY (in my best ROBO voice) honestly thought that on a slow Ford news day, this officially became the isn't Robyn Doolittle hot thread.

On a similar note, I have to agree with Zoomer's idea that Doug Holyday be played by Steve Buscemi.

No, Doug Holyday needs to be played by Creed from The Office.

This is really rich! In an interview with the Associated Press - George Smitherman has come out to take shot's at Rob Ford's personal problems:

THE MAN ROB FORD DEFEATED: 'I'M NOT SURPRISED
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/man-rob-ford-defeated-im-not-surprised

No mention in the article or explanation from Smitherman of his husbands mysterious disappearance a few months back. His husband would be discovered the next day passed out beside a railway line in an area of the city popular with crackheads. I'm not suggesting that Smithermans husband is a crackhead but his bizarre behavior could be indicative of someone with a serious substance abuse problem which raises the question has Smitherman fallen off the wagon? Is he back doing "party drugs" and if so what does that mean for the two adopted kids? Are they in a safe environment?

These are all serious questions that I hope the media will ask Smitherman. Now that Smitherman has weighed in on Rob Ford's personal problems I think his personal life if fair game. Another area of Smitherman's life that I think deserves close scrutiny is his consulting business that he set which is focused on the renewable energy sector. Has he received any lucrative "consulting" contracts from any of the many companies that are making ridiculous profits thanks to the Green Energy Act "fathered" by George Smitherman? Any big contracts from SAMSUNG? (he still fly's back and forth to Korea for some reason). This consulting company must be doing really good business if Smitherman can afford a second home in Costa Rica in addition to moving into a bigger home in Toronto!

What the Hell is this? George Smitherman isn't Mayor or involved in public service in any capacity whatsoever right now. You can fuck right off with this stuff, seriously. And I don't even like Smitherman.

I will make a prediction. In a year from now Robyn Doolittle will not be at the Toronto Star - she will have a job working in front of the camera somewhere. From her appearances on CNN it is clear to me that the camera loves Robyn and from the way she vamps in front of the camera the love is clearly reciprocal. I wouldn't even be surprised if she makes her TV debut on an American network such as CNN since that is obviously where the money is. There is really no limit to what she can do if she plays her cards rights.

That was almost a reasonable post, except for the "and from the way she vamps in front of the camera it's clearly reciprocal" bit. That was full-on dick-ish.

Last edited:
We're not done debating the Scarborough subway after all...

I've been concerned with how Ford will be able to claim that the "coup d'etat" has resulted in a lefty tax and spend City Hall with tax increases going up above the 1.75% Ford is pitching. It's a smart strategy and Ford Nation will eat it up.

But tonight I heard about how some Councillors are proposing to deal with this. They're going to call his bluff. They're going to dare him to cancel the Scarborough Subway so that the 1.75% can be met. Ford either votes to cancel the Scarborough Subway or he votes to re-affirm a 2.5% tax increase. I don't know if it'll work and if there will be an appetite to re-open the Scarborough Subway debate yet again but it's a good idea.

Or he could abstain and claim councillors are just trying to dick around with him (which would be sort of true). That would play to his base as well. IMO, better to get a fiscal hawk like Del Grande (a subway supporter) to do some press saying the subway tax increase has to come on top of the regular increase.

First article I've seen that takes a deeper look at the Ford's wealth. I know we don't like them, but I don't know why we should doubt that at least Doug and their father have worked hard and made difficult decisions to get where they are. If building and keeping afloat a multi-million dollar business was easy we'd all be doing it.

If I inherited a multi-million dollar business, I think I could manage not to run it into the ground, and I know fuck all. If you have something that's already up and running, you don't need to be a genius, you just have to not be a total idiot.

If I inherited a multi-million dollar business, I think I could manage not to run it into the ground, and I know fuck all. If you have something that's already up and running, you don't need to be a genius, you just have to not be a total idiot.

IIRC Doug was responsible for expanding it into the States, and that's gone well. He's repulsive on every level, but he does seem to have some business sense.

Is that news? To me it looks like a way to answer some of the questions around why the police didn't pick up Ford for DUI doesn't really tell us anything new.

The only thing that stood out for me, was the part where police had warrants to enter Lisi's vehicles before the arrest. I don't remember that being confirmed before, so maybe they had a warrant to check Ford's vehicle as well.

“No way” were lead investigators going to stop the mayor if all that was in the envelope was a bottle of vodka, said one source.
That's a terrible excuse for police incompetence in this case.

Yea that seems like a calculated PR "leak", to appease a frustrated public after the BBQ/APB story.

I'm just hoping the ongoing investigation isn't going to end up as a dead end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back