5.1K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 721     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think voxpopulicosmicum is right: there doesn't even need to be military support, let alone military involvement. A coup d'état is any seizure of power from a sitting government, such as by members of that government, the opposition, or external unelected groups or individuals.

I never said there was a military involvement, classically there is, especially in the so called third world/banana republic. This is why the Ford's call of a coup d'état, and Dougie's statement of a third world nation is in error; a direction and distraction such as "kangaroo court" with it's allusion of imperialism/colonialism.

Personally I am waiting for the "drum's head court" to be uttered, if not already.

If you did it by mistake, no, you wouldn't... Come on, let's not be silly.

If it happened when I was behaving in a violent, reckless or unstable manner, then yes, I probably would suffer certain legal consequences, actually. "Mistake" or not. If - just as an example - it happened when I was physically barrelling towards another target that I intended to confront then an "apology" likely wouldn't suffice, even if it was sincere. And if it happened while I was drunk* or high, then I almost certainly would be spending a little time in the local cooler.

*And wasn't Fatso chug-a-lugging something from a Tim Horotn's cup earlier?

I cannot keep up with this thread but if this has been previously posted, my bad.....
[video=youtube;qkXYORMlVRk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkXYORMlVRk[/video]
Can you say staged by Doug?
Better yet he has a live interview with CNN that will run at the same time as his show.

This is amazing. This dude is mentally ill if he actually believes the spin that he put on his crack smoking. Also notice that he slips up and makes it sound like he's smoked crack more than once (which of course is 99.9999% likely to be true).

So we should forgive him all the collateral damage that occurs around him? No, YOU come on. I'm sure one day when he's drunk driving and he kills someone, he didn't mean to, right?

If you can't tell the difference between jogging through a room and driving drunk, you *really* can't be helped.

I went to almost every Hulla, so no shame :p

Back on topic:

The transcript of the interview is just hilarious. It's amazing how much he uses the same colloquialisms over and over, for years and years. The interview itself is actually bordering on parody, life imitating art.
Haha. I went to a few. Oh thankfully there are very few pictures from those days.

Wow Frances Nunziata is such a joke. Given her time on council, you'd think she'd be a little more sophisticated. Who knows what kind of shady special interests she has in mind.

I never said there was a military involvement, classically there is, especially in the so called third world/banana republic. This is why the Ford's call of a coup d'état, and Dougie's statement of a third world nation is in error; a direction and distraction such as "kangaroo court" with it's allusion of imperialism/colonialism.

Personally I am waiting for the "drum's head court" to be uttered, if not already.

So, because coups d'état typically involve the military and/or happen in third-world countries, and the military are not involved here and/or we do not live in the third world, council's manoeuvres are not a coup d'état as Doug claims?

Would (attempted) overthrow be a better term then?

There's no specific association with imperialism or colonialism where 'kangaroo court' is concerned (marsupial allusion notwithstanding). Its etymology and origin are unclear, and improvised/farcical courts can be considered to be in session in any context.

If you can't tell the difference between jogging through a room and driving drunk, you *really* can't be helped.
He's not jogging across the room, he's rushing to thump someone. The Mayor of the biggest city in the country, marching around chambers like it's a wrestling ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back