506     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1K     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Councillors turning their back on Ford while he speaks:
BZCj_4NCQAA03Z6.jpg:large

Turns out that the Sheen quote is real. It was just reported on CP24. Though they could have seen the same article we did and misinterpreted it (if it was indeed satire)

I think they did. After falling for it myself I went and looked and Daily Current definitively states that all their stuff is total fiction.

Also, CP24 is pretty bad for not checking their stuff too closely. Last night they also ran a story saying Anthony Smith had played for Rob Ford, even after Global had retracted theirs from back in May.

Sheen is in town currently shooting a movie - so it could very well be real

It's quite obvious that Minnan-Wong is making himself the leader of the opposition to Rob Ford. Quite a lot of media availabilities by him lately. He's definitely running for mayor.

There's nobody like Rob... Nooooooobody,
Mel

Did Mel Lastman ever admit to copying this catch-phrase from an auto dealership? I grew up in the town of Dryden, in northwestern Ontario. In the 1960s and early 1970 a local dealership called Scumerough Motors (spelling?) aired a series of TV commercials that all ended with the phrase "Who has better prices than Scumerough Motors... nooooobody!" using the exact same intonation and pitch of voice as the much later Bad Boy advertisements. This was copied in the 1970s and 1980s by a Winnipeg auto dealership that used the same phrase but with their dealership name instead, and finally by Bad Boy Furniture in the 1990s. I would always shake my head when I heard the Bad Boy advertisements, remembering the nearly identical phrase used by Scumerough Motors several decades earlier.

Did Mel Lastman ever admit to copying this catch-phrase from an auto dealership? I grew up in the town of Dryden, in northwestern Ontario. In the 1960s and early 1970 a local dealership called Scumerough Motors (spelling?) aired a series of TV commercials that all ended with the phrase "Who has better prices than Scumerough Motors... nooooobody!" using the exact same intonation and pitch of voice as the much later Bad Boy advertisements. This was copied in the 1970s and 1980s by a Winnipeg auto dealership that used the same phrase but with their dealership name instead, and finally by Bad Boy Furniture in the 1990s. I would always shake my head when I heard the Bad Boy advertisements, remembering the nearly identical phrase used by Scumerough Motors several decades earlier.

Hey I used to be a reporter in Sioux Lookout. That's totally not relevant to anything, I just saw Dryden and got happy for a second... :)

That CurrAnt site is well-known for being so unfunny and badly written that its articles get mistaken for news reports of real but slightly odd events. Goes 'viral' for that reason every now and then; never for being funny or trenchant.

Agree with earlier observation that Renata must have really given Robbie a going-over last night, judging by his off-script wacky performance this morning. What a train wreck.

Regarding the Sheen quotes, I love sometimes the privilege with which some media members speak of themselves, while some random strangers on a forum just take a few minutes to do some simple fact checking.

That CurrAnt site is well-known for being so unfunny and badly written that its articles get mistaken for news reports of real but slightly odd events. Goes 'viral' for that reason every now and then; never for being funny or trenchant.

Agree with earlier observation that Renata must have really given Robbie a going-over last night, judging by his off-script wacky performance this morning. What a train wreck.

What's the real story with her anyway? A friend on my facebook just brought up a good point that all the stuff related to her being redacted must mean it's some pretty embarrassing stuff. If it was just "Rob when will you be home for dinner?" it would be there. And it's not like they're protecting her from embarrassing stuff about their marriage. It must be some serious personal stuff.

Ack, can't find it, but could someone repost the part of the document(s) that has Ford hopping into a white limo at an LCBO - a limo owned by an accused pimp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back